Tmac vs Hitch (what is Hitch doing different than Tmac)

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Soul8, Nov 21, 2018.

1. Soul8

Soul8 Registered User

Some of you likely have a great eye for spotting subtle changes that Hitch is making that Tmac did not.

I realize it is early and Hitch hasn't had a single practice with the team to this point, but what are you seeing?

2. McDNicks17

McDNicks17 Moderator

He's putting players in a role that suits them instead of arranging his lineup by salary and draft position.

He also actually coaches his players differently. He isn't telling Lucic to go out there and try to play like he's told McDavid how to play.

3. djdub

djdub This Space for Rent

First thing I noticed was Lucic on the fourth line. Todd was so thick headed he didn't even try this once. Wow.

Aerchon, dsi, JariCurry and 5 others like this.
  4. Joey Moss

Joey Moss 5-14-6-1

He doesn't roll lines like it's div 4 men's league.

5. slaman

slaman McOilers Fan

I liked his in-game coaching... He managed to get McDavid out against the Sharks' non shutdown pairing.

Lucic outside of the Top 6 was key.

Aerchon, McNuge, Oilhawks and 6 others like this.
  6. Tw0Shoes

Tw0Shoes Registered User

Lucic wasn't really on the 4th line. They moved Brodziak up. Brodziak played 14 minutes last night, which is definitely not 4th line minutes. Also the most he has played all year.

5 Mins 4 Ftg and OilDrop37 like this.
  7. HK97

HK97 Registered User

Although i think Hitch is a very good tactician, i think it stems moreso on consistent effort level, and doing the right things (players know what the right things are) consistently, and play as a team together and not as individuals. He brings up the level of standards and ok is not good enough. I've posted on another thread what i think he's going to bring to the team and what was missing from the past.....

RattsSSV and Kirby like this.
  8. The Nuge

The Nuge Top 9 Forward Count - 5/9

The forwards are definitely more aggressive all over the ice.

The defense is already much more active. Instead of cheating for defense, they’re battling to keep the puck in the other teams zone. There were numerous times last game where we maintained possession in a situation we typically wouldn’t have.

9. Bangers

Bangers Registered User

Coaching. That's what he's doing that's different.

10. FlameChampion

FlameChampion Registered User

I think even though his reputation is that he is more demanding and has higher expectations to me, he seems much more positive than McLellan was. McLellan was always grumpy and moody behind the bench. I think he created a nervous energy behind the bench rather than an engaged and calming presence. I honestly just think that Hitchcock is smarter, understands human psychology better and knows how to push players better. I also think his communication is probably better, he seems more direct. I dont think Mclellan did a good job of putting players in positions, finding roles (for depth players) and was poor at in game management.

11. ClinicallyOilered

ClinicallyOilered 5-14-6-1

He had the players taking shorter shifts, while also changing lines immediately after face offs in order to get his desired matchup

12. McFuhryous

McFuhryous Registered User

For me, Hitch has that 'cerebral assassin' mentality, something Todd doesn't have. That opening statement of "I know what the problems are and I can fix them" speaks volumes of his ability to identify and correct. Again, something Todd either refused to address or didn't notice himself. I think Todd constantly tried to smash a square peg into a round hole figuring one day it's going to fit. Hitchcock right away noticed these are two different shapes. Let's find the round peg.

Hitch can readily adapt and was cognizant enough to realise in the second the Oilers weren't going to get a powerplay last night so he adjusted by double shifting McDavid. This eventually wore down DeBoer's top pairing and in turn created a 5 on 5 man advantage as McDavid's motor was still in high gear and their d was wearing down, slowing them.

He's putting guys in positions to succeed based on talent, not on paycheque. That third line hemmed SJ in their zone so many times it made me giggle.

He is just so damn confident and charismatic.

13. Dazed and Confused

Dazed and Confused Ludicrous speed, GO!

In game adjustmests are now a thing, even more unheard of is the team being proactive with them.

I think this might become a trend. Brodziak played on a heavy line under Hitch in St. Louis. With the top 6 as talented as it is, it seems like an obvious idea.

I'm warming up to the idea of...

Caggiula-McDavid-Draisaitl
    Spooner-RNH-Rattie
    Lucic-Brodziak-Chiasson
    Rieder-Khaira-Kassian

Reverse Brodziak and Khaira as you see fit, but it still gives you a two clear attack and grind lines.

Perfect_Drug and Tw0Shoes like this.
  14. rickysusedsht

rickysusedsht Registered User

i liked his praise for players in the post game interview. t mac had good things to say sometimes but i thought hitch had more detail to his comments ,if that makes sence. thought he managed the bench well and the players responded to it.

15. Tw0Shoes

Tw0Shoes Registered User

Cycle Nuge & McDavid through that 4th line as a center, and it kind of creates that 3rd scoring line too. This is one of the first games in a while that I thought Lucic was going to score. That line was close, if they keep doing that, they'll definitely get some.

wayerd and CycloneSweep like this.
  16. Mr Sakich

Mr Sakich Registered User

Home Page:
    I posted this link on the other Hitch thread. If you want to know what Hitch is going to do, here is a real good explanation of his system. Jonathan Willis found the article and posted it on twitter last night

NHL WHITEBOARD.: Systems Theory: Ken Hitchcock and the Nonstop Blues

to be honest, I am pretty excited if he does bring this system to Edmonton as we have the size and skill to be a better team than STL ever was. They were pretty darned good under Hitch

17. Del Preston

Del Preston Registered User

Hitchcock actually gave McDavid shifts while SJ's shutdown pairing was on the bench. Just under five minutes.

Last night was McDavid's second lowest percentage of 5-on-5 play in his career against Vlasic in San Jose. He scored his goal against Ryan-Burns.

12/13/16: 88% vs Vlasic
    1/26/17: 70%
    4/6/17: 82%
    4/16/17: 83%
    4/18/17: 87%
    4/22/17: 79%
    2/10/18: 83%
    2/27/18: 90%
    Last night: 77%

"Line matchups don't matter" or whatever the quote was.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  18. Jimmi McJenkins

Jimmi McJenkins Sometimes Miracles

Public Servant
    What I know is Hitchcock is physically not McLellan, so there's that difference. The rest is clearly to be determined. I have mild concerns about how Hitchcock relates to the current game, but again, that will be determined.

19. McBeastMode

McBeastMode Registered User

Winning..........

20. dss97

dss97 Registered User

Defence seems to be more involved in the offensive zone.

The forwards are trying to use the centre of the ice more.

Bryanbryoil likes this.
  21. ClinicallyOilered

ClinicallyOilered 5-14-6-1

McLellan is an egomaniacal person with a thick skull.
    He would rather blame others than accept that maybe he is doing something wrong.

You have to wonder if he ever spoke his mind directly to a player one on one, or if he just whined to the media about it.

Standing behind the bench while chomping on gum instead of involving himself in the game was and is a huge pet peeve of mine.

I don’t know a lot about Hitchcock, but I know how frustrating playing against his teams were over the past ~15 years of watching hockey. His team never looked unprepared or like they needed naps

Porkleaker likes this.
  22. PassittoLetestu

PassittoLetestu Registered User

Mclellan had them playing scared like a bunch of *****. Scared to engage, retreating in their own zone constantly, dump and chase with only the purpose to clear the zone and get a line change. No proper forecheck and minimal puck support. One guy would chase in the corner and 2 players would be nowhere to be found for help.

Mismanaged lines where slow players would play with fast players with no difference in play style. Line one would play exactly like line four.

Line one your up, tag your it line 2, line 3 next, line 4. Well we just played line 4 now we have to be completely predictable and send out the fourth line because 4 3 2 1 is the correct math sequence and we cant alternate, that would be madness!

Line one just scored! better through our slower bad defensive players from the fourth line against their top line. Uh oh lead gone after 30 seconds? better try the same thing again the next period.

We need a win! Quick throw Brodziak and Kassian out there for 4 out of the next 8 minutes cause we really need momentum.

Oh damn our player who scored twice in 60 games is struggling. Better throw him out there with our best offensive line, powerplay, extra attacker and get him going! uh oh hes not going, that's it, 12 or 13 more games and you are demoted.

Deep thoughts by Mclellan.

23. JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth Registered User

Can't wait to revisit this thread when we're ranting that the game has passed Hitch by... :sarcasm:

CykaBlyat likes this.
  24. ohheyhemsky

ohheyhemsky Regehr DooDoo

I attacc
    It's the first game after a big change up. I'll reserve any thoughts on Hitch's coaching style until at least game 5.

I will say though, I loved how Lucic immediately woke up.

48g90a138pts likes this.
  25. smokersarejokers

smokersarejokers Registered User

Well, he's only been out of the league for like 7 months. ;)

I understand what you're saying though. He's certainly old school, but I remember reading an article about him when he was in Columbus and he talked about how he had to change his coaching style to be more of a teacher and less of a drill sergeant. It was so long ago and I wish I could find it, but I remember it being a really impressive article.

I'm not too worried about him not being current since he had great records in St Louis only a couple of seasons ago. 2 wins from making it to the finals in 2016.

Porkleaker likes this.