News Article: Tkachuk the Captain

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Being a captain has nothing to do with leading team in scoring.

He doesn't have to be the leading scorer every season, but if he's not among them (top 3) and scoring in clutch moments, its going to be even more pressure on him. EK, Spezza, and Alfie rose to the occasion offensively and were clutch af (Spezza the least of em all). No point in being the "guy who everyone will follow into war", if that war isn't even happening while we're competitive.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He doesn't have to be the leading scorer every season, but if he's not among them (top 3) and scoring in clutch moments, its going to be even more pressure on him. EK, Spezza, and Alfie rose to the occasion offensively and were clutch af (Spezza the least of em all). No point in being the "guy who everyone will follow into war", if that war isn't even happening while we're competitive.

Being a C doesn't mean you have to be among the highest scorers. Tons of examples

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Hoping he can be our Landeskog. He definitely has the potential

Pretty much this. Landeskog was scoring at 30g pace last two seasons and is usually 3rd or 4th among team scoring. BT doesn't have to be leading us in points every year, but being 3rd or 4th is a fair expectation (I expect Chabot, Norris, or Batherson to score more then him).

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I was about to order a C for my Tkachuk jersey, then realized they charge $15 shipping when the item is only $5. If they send them out from the Sens store that's pretty brutal

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure what to think of this, apparently Tkachuck made being named captain a contractual requirement, and Giroux learned about it after signing and isn't happy

Starts around 14 min mark but it's a French podcast

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Not sure what to think of this, apparently Tkachuck made being named captain a contractual requirement, and Giroux learned about it after signing and isn't happy

Good, it'll humble the shit out of Tkachuk who has been getting a little too entitled with his captaincy role on the team. He knew the team identity revolved around him and needed him.

Now, he needs to prove it. Now, there is a veteran top liner who is far more respected and proven on the team who damn well will hold him accountable to it--and probably among the few players in the league who has the resume and reputation to push back against Brady Tkachuk and for Brady to not take it personally and learn from it.

I've said numerous times that Giroux signing wasn't just vital for us getting a top 6 and for Stutzle, but because the leadership team needed a boost in accountability by someone who is well revered when it comes to leadership and leading by example.

YouGotAStuGoing

Mar 26, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario

Context: discussion on the Red Wings and the podcast team being impressed with how they've built their leadership core.

"Je ne sais pas si Claude Giroux va pouvoir aider ça... semble-t-il qu'il y a un problème avec le leadership chez les Sénateurs. Brady Tkachuk est devenu capitaine parce qu'il a fait inscrire cette clause dans son contrat. Semble-t-il que ca n'a pas tres bien passé au pratique. On va voir, Claude Giroux arrive quand même avec de l'expérience, avec du vécu. Il a porté le C chez les Flyers, alors peut-être ca va aider un peu à changer le dynamique de groupe."

Translated:
"I don't know if Claude Giroux will be able to help this, but it seems there's a problem with the leadership with the Senators. Brady Tkachuk became captain because he had that inserted as a clause in his contract. It seems that it didn't go over very well in practice. We'll see, Claude Giroux is still coming in with lived experience, having worn the C with the Flyers. Maybe that'll help change the group dynamic."

After that the conversation shifts to Gaudreau.

Not sure your interpretation of Giroux finding out after the fact is accurate? I didn't get that from what was said. My own speculation here, but based on the context it sounds more to me like it'd be Chabot's camp who were unhappy with it, and they're hoping Giroux can right the ship.

Last edited:

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Good, it'll humble the shit out of Tkachuk who has been getting a little too entitled with his captaincy role on the team. He knew the team identity revolved around him and needed him.

Now, he needs to prove it. Now, there is a veteran top liner who is far more respected and proven on the team who damn well will hold him accountable to it--and probably among the few players in the league who has the resume and reputation to push back against Brady Tkachuk and for Brady to not take it personally and learn from it.

I've said numerous times that Giroux signing wasn't just vital for us getting a top 6 and for Stutzle, but because the leadership team needed a boost in accountability by someone who is well revered when it comes to leadership and leading by example.
can you translate the highlights

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
New drama around here every day... the imagination on some of you is quite something.

Just when you thought this season could be an exciting one we learn that .... OMG Brady is captain!!! and a player who was not even on the team is mad because of it???? or is it Chabot's camp that wasn't happy? or maybe it's a nothing burger...

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
This is some tele-novela shit.

I can't see Tkachuk demanding it in his contract when it was the world's worst kept secret that he was going to be captain. Is his camp worried he'd get stripped of captaincy in the future?

I can't see Giroux caring, it's not like he expected to get the C handed to him ust because he's the elder statesman. Also didn't he talk about how he looked forward to seeing Tkachuk's leadership or some shit in the WAM podcast?

Now if it is actually in the contract, at most, I can see players thinking that's pretty soft of Brady, that's about it. The last time a player was stripped of C was...Marleau/Thornton/Pavelski?

JackieDaytona

regular human hockey fan.
Oct 21, 2007
Who gives a shit if it was in his contract or not? There was so much talk, here, within the team, media, of how BT would make a great captain and showed leadership at a young age well before his contract and him being named C. It’s clear now that it was a great choice.

This seems like shit disturbing, trying to take a young, great team with lots of promise and knocking them down a peg. Classic troll shit.

Brady has shown to be a great captain so far. Everyone talks about what a great room and team it is to be a part of, and it’s clear the players follow Brady into battle every game. We see that,this is just sour snipes from opportunistic habs-centric media talking heads in the doldrums of the off-season.

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Context: discussion on the Red Wings and the podcast team being impressed with how they've built their leadership core.

"Je ne sais pas si Claude Giroux va pouvoir aider ça... semble-t-il qu'il y a un problème avec le leadership chez les Sénateurs. Brady Tkachuk est devenu capitaine parce qu'il a fait inscrire cette clause dans son contrat. Semble-t-il que ca n'a pas tres bien passé au pratique. On va voir, Claude Giroux arrive quand même avec de l'expérience, avec du vécu. Il a porté le C chez les Flyers, alors peut-être ca va aider un peu à changer le dynamique de groupe."

Translated:
"I don't know if Claude Giroux will be able to help this, but it seems there's a problem with the leadership with the Senators. Brady Tkachuk became captain because he had that inserted as a clause in his contract. It seems that it didn't go over very well in practice. We'll see, Claude Giroux is still coming in with lived experience, having worn the C with the Flyers. Maybe that'll help change the group dynamic."

After that the conversation shifts to Gaudreau.

Not sure your interpretation of Giroux finding out after the fact is accurate? I didn't get that from what was said. My own speculation here, but based on the context it sounds more to me like it'd be Chabot's camp who were unhappy with it, and they're hoping Giroux can right the ship.
It's hard to think that Chabot has a REAL problem with it, especially since him and Tkachuk seem so close, you see it in their body language.

We have to remember too that Melnyk stated that Tkachuk would only be considered as a captain candidate if he signed long term.

Consider this: was the team REALLY going to sign Tkachuk long-term, and not make him captain? This was just a bit of confirmation for Tkachuk's sake, and the team was willing to make it because they were going to make him captain anyways.

Now, I'm not against Giroux mediating a sort of heart-to-heart conversation of course, probably needs to be done and everyone would be for the better. But I think it's safe to say that Chabot's camp and Tkachuk's camp are the same camp.

Berri UQAM

Apr 15, 2022
Wow, what a strange take by the podcaster. The only clear information in the exccerpt is that Brady's contract required the Senators to name him captain.

The claim of a leadership "problem" is extremely unclear and not substantiated by any specific information. I have absolutely no idea where that idea is coming from. I see no indication that Giroux is upset lol.

It seems to me that the excerpt is sloppy commentary, which happens a lot on podcasts. Written commentary is usually clearer and more carefully thought out.

In fact, I think that it's somewhat unfair to cast aspersion about a player or team without being clear about what the problem is. The vagueness allows the listener to imagine whatever they want.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm not convinced there is anything to this. It was pretty much public knowledge that Tkachuk was going to be named the captain of the Sens. Bruce Garrioch released multiple articles stating that if Tkachuk wanted to be named captain that he would need to sign a long term extension.

Melnyk also stated this: “That’s going to be what we’re all thinking about over the summer and whether (Tkachuk) is the person for that (job). Whoever it is, they’ve got to be around long term. That’s the key for us. You can’t have a captain there on a bridge contract. It’s not gonna happen"
Senators' Owner Eugene Melnyk: “You Can't Have a Captain on a Bridge Contract”

It was essentially implied that if Tkachuk signed long term that he would be named captain and if he only signed a bridge contract that he wouldn't be. It was also either stated explicitly or heavily implied by Garrioch that the Sens offered the captaincy as part of the negotiating tactic to ensure that Tkachuk would commit long term.

If that was the case then it seems logical Tkachuk's agents would push to make sure that it wasn't just a verbal agreement but something actually in writing. It wasn't that long ago that Borowiecki felt he had some kind of commitment from Melnyk, then Melnyk didn't follow through with it and that lead to him leaving the organization. Melnyk may have had a reputation for making verbal commitments and then not following through with them. If that was the case then Tkachuk's agents might have wanted the assurance of the captaincy and not simply some verbal commitment that could be withdrawn at any time.

Reactions: Berri UQAM and bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Meh. This is a great big nothing burger.

The team plays hard and by every account the dressing room is really tight which speaks to leadership and a room still listening to a coach

Reactions: Berri UQAM

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
It's possible the captaincy was promised to him and this was just a way to get it in writing.

I don't really see it as a "make me captain or I'm walking" thing.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad