News Article: Tkachuk the Captain

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Good, it'll humble the shit out of Tkachuk who has been getting a little too entitled with his captaincy role on the team. He knew the team identity revolved around him and needed him.

Now, he needs to prove it. Now, there is a veteran top liner who is far more respected and proven on the team who damn well will hold him accountable to it--and probably among the few players in the league who has the resume and reputation to push back against Brady Tkachuk and for Brady to not take it personally and learn from it.

I've said numerous times that Giroux signing wasn't just vital for us getting a top 6 and for Stutzle, but because the leadership team needed a boost in accountability by someone who is well revered when it comes to leadership and leading by example.

Please explain

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Everything we’ve heard this summer has been how tight everyone is, how multiple players have reached out to the new guys talking about the room.

We heard G talk specifically about looking forward to playing with Brady.

And we have heard endlessly about the leadership in the room. Brady always shared the accolades and insists that the leadership of the team is by committee.

There is zero chance that hearing that the captaincy was included in the contract, if that’s true, would change the perception of the teams leadership.

The proof as usual in the pudding.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Not sure your interpretation of Giroux finding out after the fact is accurate? I didn't get that from what was said. My own speculation here, but based on the context it sounds more to me like it'd be Chabot's camp who were unhappy with it, and they're hoping Giroux can right the ship
For what it's worth, I just posted a summary of what I read and the link, I still haven't had a chance to listen to the podcast as the player won't let me jump ahead for some reason and I had family over today,

It always seemed to me that the team was the one using the captaincy as a bargaining chip not the player, and it was always going to be down to Tkachuk or Chabot, the difference in experience between them was minimal so to say one guy didn't earn it doesn't make any sense to me

I'm inclined to believe there's nothing to see here but do find it weird that captaincy would be in the contract if that's even true

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not trying to hate at all but does anyone know of any of the individual guys on that podcast? I have no idea who they are.

I’ve also never seen anything even close to resembling resentment from other Sens players towards Brady. Seems like bullshit.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Not a good look.

Brady was perhaps likely going to be captain regardless but that's beside the point: players aren't going to want that printed in their teammates' contract.

The one defense of Brady here that I can think of is that perhaps his camp just wanted to keep the captaincy away from being manipulated by Melnyk. The contract stipulation doesn't mean that Brady wouldn't give up the captaincy if he loses the confidence of his teammates, but this way Melnyk couldn't have taken it away.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
It's possible the captaincy was promised to him and this was just a way to get it in writing.

I don't really see it as a "make me captain or I'm walking" thing.
The actual likely scenario.... Secondly doesn't this just seem like MTL media garbage? Its been an Ottawa Senstors pile on from that fanbase and media outlets all summer. I have a pretty good idea Giroux wants to be here and is smart enough to not let something like this bother him. Chabot and Brady are tight. I don't think he cares. They all just want to win.
Lastly the thing that seems to be getting over looked or not take into account which makes no sense is he was and is the right choice. Chabot has tendencies in his play to look lackadaisical. It's not something this fanbase takes kindly to (See example Spezza Jason).

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wasn't it the opposite of that article? The Sens wouldn't give him the C until he signed a new deal? The old 'we don't want another captain leaving so quickly after 11 and 65 ended for us' fears? People were begging for him to get the C since the middle of his rookie season.

And no way in the world Giroux wouldn't know that before signing. Dude lives in the Ottawa area in the summer and has family here. He would've known walking in that this is Brady's team. In fact, isn't that one of the things he liked about coming here? Liking the swagger of the young kids?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Not a good look.

Brady was perhaps likely going to be captain regardless but that's beside the point: players aren't going to want that printed in their teammates' contract.

The one defense of Brady here that I can think of is that perhaps his camp just wanted to keep the captaincy away from being manipulated by Melnyk. The contract stipulation doesn't mean that Brady wouldn't give up the captaincy if he loses the confidence of his teammates, but this way Melnyk couldn't have taken it away.
Not a good look in what sense?

Something something making a mountain out of a molehill...

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Sure doesnt reconcile with what most here seemed to think was a deplorable comment by Melynk that the 'C' comes with signing long term. Using the captaincy as a bargaining chip. Not sure if i was Brady, i would take the word of such a person that he would make me captain if i signed, would you? Giroux seemsd so clearly to have been brought in as a vet, not getting his prime contract, to provide support. Leadership of this team has been clear to us for a while. But defintely, this kind of tidbit drop is something i would love to do to an enemy team too, to try and sow dissension in their ranks.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
lol @ this

We just going to let ourselves be trolled by MTL radio or whatever?
By all accounts the room is extraordinarily tight, but sure let’s go with with this…wait what is this?!
The only thing that clip says is that it was in his contract - everything else is making shit up. lol

R We A Team

Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Ottawa
Do you think maybe the Montreal media is worried that first, The Canadians passed on Brady at the draft, (huge mistake) and now, we go and sign a big name Franco in Giroux. Something the press in Montreal would absolutely eat up. On top of that we have an exciting young team that looks to be on the rise while they on the other hand are to put it politely "tanking" Perhaps they are concerned that Ottawa is going to be attracting a lot more of the Franco viewership than they have previously.

All that to say, stirring up some trouble seems like a Montreal/Toronto media type of thing... :skeptic: hmmm?

Last edited:
Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Do you think maybe the Montreal media is worried that first, The Canadians passed on Brady a the draft, (huge mistake) and now, we go and sign a big name Franco in Giroux. Something the press in Montreal would absolutely eat up. On top of that we have an exciting young team that looks to be on the rise while they on the other hand are to put it politely "tanking" Perhaps they are concerned that Ottawa is going to be attracting a lot more of the Franco viewership than they have previously.

All that to say, stirring up some trouble seems like a Montreal/Toronto media type of thing... :skeptic: hmmm?
What you're saying is PD should go out and get PLD to really stick it to them?

Pancakes Pancakes

Aug 3, 2005
Tank Nation
These guys are donkeys trying to stir shit up in Sens land. They have no inside info, they are making assumptions and throwing shit on the wall hoping it will stick. Does this mesh with everything we've been hearing about the room and how tight the guys are? Come on peeps.

Que

What?
Feb 12, 2017
Mind Prison
You’re all trippin’

This team is 🔥🔥

‘Member Brinsky and his face in the time leading up to getting to town? He looked like someone kidnapped his dogs.

Have you seen the guy on ice since? All smiles.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is Tkachuk's team & he is the obvious leader, Giroux as a veteran captain will help the young captain navigate the media bullshit when things aren't going so well. They will be great together & I expect this team to make a 25 to 30 pt climb in the standings this yr, if not more.

Reactions: Que and guyzeur

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
@ReginKarlssonLehner

Just wondering if you are going to explain your inflammatory comments about Tkachuk?

Thanks

It is very clear that at times no one has been able to reel in Tkachuk. For example, during some OT sessions, he stays on so long, that it costs the team due to his fatigue and not exchanging for other players. Also some boneheaded plays that he does repeatedly which would need to be guided(weird high risk plays on PP etc.), but we don't have anyone else in seniority to help guide and adjust him in his play.

Tkachuk is brilliant, but it is clear he needs mentorship himself in certain parts of accountability and distributive leadership.

Don't take my words the wrong way, Tkachuk is phenomenal, but his leadership is still a ways from the likes of Bergeron, Crosby, etc... he needs some added humility in his rough and style play a la Sakic and Yzerman; Giroux will provide that.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
It is very clear that at times no one has been able to reel in Tkachuk. For example, during some OT sessions, he stays on so long, that it costs the team due to his fatigue and not exchanging for other players. Also some boneheaded plays that he does repeatedly which would need to be guided(weird high risk plays on PP etc.), but we don't have anyone else in seniority to help guide and adjust him in his play.

Tkachuk is brilliant, but it is clear he needs mentorship himself in certain parts of accountability and distributive leadership.

Don't take my words the wrong way, Tkachuk is phenomenal, but his leadership is still a ways from the likes of Bergeron, Crosby, etc... he needs some added humility in his rough and style play a la Sakic and Yzerman; Giroux will provide that.

I mean he’s still only 22 years old and you are comparing him to some of the greatest captains of all time

Yzerman was not Yzerman at the same age and was known to be a one way player early in his career.

Doe’s Tkachuk’s on ice game need some maturing? Sure it does , same with all young players. I don’t necessarily attribute that to any kind of entitled or lack of leadership however which you pointed out.

He’s still learning and growing and trying to right the ship of a floundering franchise all that the tender age of 22.

I would just perhaps have worded what you wrote differently and not made it as blanket statement about his lack of leadership. Only players in the room know how his leadership is really like.

Tkachuk will be fine, his game is only growing and I’m excited for him to be the face and captain of the franchise for a long time.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad