No upsets so far

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
And it's not a surprise either. I picked all 8 winners. No true upsets is a big part of why it was a pretty stale 1st round. Some of the chaff needed to be swept away, and that I'm fine with, but in general the underdogs didn't even challenge the favorites. Hopefully now that the cream has risen we can get some epic series (and goals) in round 2.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
We’re talking about the series not 1 game. Samsonov had an under .900 save percentage and GAA above 3 in the series. There was a massive difference between Woll and Samsonov this series.

If you seriously believe Woll would’ve performed similarly in all games this series, I have nothing to say to you

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
or maybe score more than 2 goals a game(and that's rounding up)....where was the offensive powerhouse?

Injured. The Leafs top 2 scorers missed half the series and didn’t come back at 100%.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
That's surprising. Winnipeg has nobody that matches against MacKinnon, Rantanen, Makar.
Does Dallas, Vancouver, or Edmonton have someone that matches against them? Edmonton at least has the luxury of having 2 players on par and also difficult to contain. But unless Pettersson wakes up, idt Vancouver has that. Maybe Hughes? He does do better against Avs style defensively than against Preds style imho.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

ijuka

May 14, 2016
No upsets so far, yeah. At least judging by the seeding. The first seed won 8 out of 8 series. A bit disappointing, I've got to admit. No epic storylines like Panthers last season.

And there seems to be so little heart. Both the Bruins vs Leafs and the Stars vs Knights game 7s were disappointing.

Where's the passion?

Does Dallas, Vancouver, or Edmonton have someone that matches against them? Edmonton at least has the luxury of having 2 players on par and also difficult to contain. But unless Pettersson wakes up, idt Vancouver has that. Maybe Hughes? He does do better against Avs style defensively than against Preds style imho.
Edmonton clearly has someone that matches against MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Makar. If you compare McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard to these three, it's not even clear that the Avs have the stronger trio.

I think that Avs have superior secondary firepower but for the high-end, they're quite well matched.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No upsets so far, yeah. At least judging by the seeding. The first seed won 8 out of 8 series. A bit disappointing, I've got to admit. No epic storylines like Panthers last season.

And there seems to be so little heart. Both the Bruins vs Leafs and the Stars vs Knights game 7s were disappointing.

Where's the passion?

Edmonton clearly has someone that matches against MacKinnon, Rantanen, and Makar. If you compare McDavid, Draisaitl and Bouchard to these three, it's not even clear that the Avs have the stronger trio.

I think that Avs have superior secondary firepower but for the high-end, they're quite well matched.
McDavid > MacKinnon but it's close. Drai > Rantanen for sure. Makar >>>> Bouchard. Ekholm and Toews defensively are a wash, but Toews has the slight offensive edge.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Injured. The Leafs top 2 scorers missed half the series and didn’t come back at 100%.
Might as well been injured those other years too as they did nothing as well. Good thing they're awesome regular season players and maybe have a chance at being amazing playoff players but never have... hmmm.. next year tho why don't we find out?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
As an Aves fan I felt pretty confident going into the series, but it seems like most of the talking heads were predicting Winnipeg would take the series. So while it feels weird to call it an "upset", I'm not sure you can could call Colorado the clear favorite either....and winning in 5 is probably the most surprising result of the first round.....especially after losing game 1.

That never made any sense to me.

Colorado - a team full of playoff overachievers, who also just won a cup

Winnipeg - a team full of playoff underachievers full of playoff failures

I know who I had as the favorite, and it wasn't based on +/- 3 point difference in the regular season standings.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
McDavid > MacKinnon but it's close. Drai > Rantanen for sure. Makar >>>> Bouchard. Ekholm and Toews defensively are a wash, but Toews has the slight offensive edge.
How is Makar >>>> Bouchard? Nothing supports that. Especially this season, Bouchard has actually been better than Makar by just about every metric.

But even if we ignore this season and have Makar as better than Bouchard, it's not enough to offset McDavid and Draisaitl.

And by metrics I mean advanced stats along with traditional stats. Makar scored more points, Bouchard had much better advanced stats. Both same amount of points in the playoffs, etc.

Of course, you could make an argument that Makar having average advanced stats with 70% offensive zone starts and Bouchard having probably the best advanced stats profile out of all defensemen in NHL with 58% offensive zone starts in 5on5 isn't important, but I find it difficult to agree with that.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
How is Makar >>>> Bouchard? Nothing supports that. Especially this season, Bouchard has actually been better than Makar by just about every metric.

But even if we ignore this season and have Makar as better than Bouchard, it's not enough to offset McDavid and Draisaitl.

And by metrics I mean advanced stats along with traditional stats. Makar scored more points, Bouchard had much better advanced stats. Both same amount of points in the playoffs, etc.

Of course, you could make an argument that Makar having average advanced stats with 70% offensive zone starts and Bouchard having probably the best advanced stats profile out of all defensemen in NHL with 58% offensive zone starts in 5on5 isn't important, but I find it difficult to agree with that.
Bouchard is better than Makar??????
Well that’s certainly a take. 😆

Reactions: HabsQC

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
The first round was fairly predictable. It should make the rest of the playoffs even more exciting with the top teams all getting through. No offense to the Cinderella teams but it's nice to see best against best as the playoffs progress.

Last edited:

Oak

Apr 22, 2012
MA
Anyone claiming Dallas wasn't an upset is a liar. VGK were expected to cruise right into the WCF with their star studded LTIR cast.

serp

Jan 17, 2016
To me it would've only been an upset if Caps , Isles or Kings had won their series. All other series i think there was a legit argument to be made either team winning the series was not an upset.

Last edited:

lwvs84

Jan 25, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
I think the only series that broke my brackets were the two game 7's (had Vegas in 6, Toronto in 7). Was exact or a game off in every other series (think I had Avs in 6, Oilers in 5, Canucks in 6 before the injuries, Rags in 4, Canes in 5, Panthers in 6). Guess Canucks winning with a 3rd string goalie is an upset?

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
Canucks winning was an upset. Don't pretend and back track now hfboards.
Your avatar combined with the post is just perfect.

While I usually love the scrappy underdog story, it usually ends with a rather one sided SCF. With all the heavy hitters, minus Vegas, still in the mix. I am optimistic the balance of the playoffs will be competitive high end hockey

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad