News Article: Tire Kicking Subban

I want Subban...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Perhaps I've just been far too out of the loop, but I always hear about Subban being a problem child without ever hearing what exactly the problems are, aside from the fact that he's a big personality. I don't get the dislike. Yeah, he's loud and brash, but he seems like a good guy.

garce

Mar 20, 2010
Too close to Ottawa and Montreal
If we're adding even $6M in salary from Subban, it means at least an equal amount of money has to go out. So maybe it's something like Kadri and AJ or Kap. Or Nylander.

But in either scenario, we would still need to move out more money to sign marner.
Money has to go out. Doesn’t have to go out to Nashville, tho picks and prospects to Preds other trades take care of the money. I don’t necessarily advocate it but it’s possible.

Pinto

Kings of the North!
Aug 28, 2003
Port Dover, Ontario
Perhaps I've just been far too out of the loop, but I always hear about Subban being a problem child without ever hearing what exactly the problems are, aside from the fact that he's a big personality. I don't get the dislike. Yeah, he's loud and brash, but he seems like a good guy.

That’s pretty much my take as well. Personality of any sort seems to be frowned upon in the NHL.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Who tf cares what Babcock thinks anymore.

Coach is a dead man walking this season.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
No chance this goes down unless a lot of salary is retained and they take Marleau Zaitsev. Media just making us talk, that's all it is in my opinion.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
HMMMM, could this be Dubas swinging for the fences ala Masai and the Raptors with Leonard?

Adding a 3 time All Star, Norris winner all at our biggest position of need...

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I do say, the image of Subban feeding Matthews and Tavares's lines in a game against Montreal makes me feel giddy.

Reactions: Feliix

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Even if Nashville retain 2mil and a straight swap for Zai, I still don’t think Leafs want him due to Cap Hit and Babs not liking him.

Having said that, this might be another way to tell Babs- he is out if he can’t win a round or two.

The Shadow

Feb 9, 2013
How is he a headcase?

The guy gave 9M to a hospital in Montreal. That's probably going to be more than 10% of his career earnings.

Seems like a great character guy who just shows personality unlike 90% of this league.

What reports out there show that he's a headcase? I'd love to know.

I think he definitely is a head case and his ego is not a favourable trait for teams which is why he will probably be on his 3 team in only a few seasons

There was some quote about how if he had the team that Doughty did that he would have won the Norris too. This was reported by players that heard him say this and told the media. Who knows if it’s true but it wouldn’t shock me

Do not want him on the Leafs at all. Don’t care what colour he is. It’s not about colour. It’s about attitude

Last edited by a moderator:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
HMMMM, could this be Dubas swinging for the fences ala Masai and the Raptors with Leonard?

Adding a 3 time All Star, Norris winner all at our biggest position of need...

He's a damn good player and fits a pretty big need.

No idea how they will juggle that cap but... They should be in the business of wanting good players.

Leaffan1991

Oct 22, 2016
Canada
He would change our PP with that bomb from the point. Our pp is all about wrist shots with tips and no one is afraid of getting in front and blocking it.
A nice slapshot from the point will scare teams a bit.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Can someone explain how Nashville is in Cap Hell? Right now they have just over 6 million in Cap Space for next season, that is with Subban, and only needing to sign 1 player, Sissons. The Year after they will have over 25 million while needing to sign Josi, Granlund, and Smith, for big name players, all three of which should be signed for under 20 million combined (10 to Josi, 5 each or so to the other 2) and 10 Million I would say will be the high end. They will also need to sign Watson, Salomaki, and Gaudreau all three of which should come in under 5 Million combined. This is all with Subban still under contract, and not factoring in a rise in the cap. They may also decide not to bring Granlund back if he doesn't rebound this year with them. Now they do need help up front, but if they get that, Subban will be moved, which allows for help to come in for about 9 million dollars if not slightly more. The following year Rinne's contract ends so there goes 5 million free. They might get into cap hell once Forsberg's contract is up but that is not for another 3 seasons and it's too early to know what everything looks like at that time.

-End Rant

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Can someone explain how Nashville is in Cap Hell? Right now they have just over 6 million in Cap Space for next season, that is with Subban, and only needing to sign 1 player, Sissons. The Year after they will have over 25 million while needing to sign Josi, Granlund, and Smith, for big name players, all three of which should be signed for under 20 million combined (10 to Josi, 5 each or so to the other 2) and 10 Million I would say will be the high end. They will also need to sign Watson, Salomaki, and Gaudreau all three of which should come in under 5 Million combined. This is all with Subban still under contract, and not factoring in a rise in the cap. They may also decide not to bring Granlund back if he doesn't rebound this year with them. Now they do need help up front, but if they get that, Subban will be moved, which allows for help to come in for about 9 million dollars if not slightly more. The following year Rinne's contract ends so there goes 5 million free. They might get into cap hell once Forsberg's contract is up but that is not for another 3 seasons and it's too early to know what everything looks like at that time.

-End Rant
They're not in cap hell, sounds like they want to open cap space for Duchene.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007
How is he a headcase?

The guy gave 9M to a hospital in Montreal. That's probably going to be more than 10% of his career earnings.

Seems like a great character guy who just shows personality unlike 90% of this league.

No, he didn't. He pledged to help them raise 9 million dollars. He did not straight up give them 9 million dollars. Still a great thing to do, but not the same. You find this misunderstanding with a lot of celebrities who pledge large sums of money. When you go back and investigate, a lot of them never fulfill their pledges. Not suggesting Subban would do that, but again, some clarity on the issue is important.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
They're not in cap hell, sounds like they want to open cap space for Duchene.
Multiple people in this thread keep saying they are in Cap Hell so that's what I was referring too. If they are trying for Duchene, they could move out other cap to make room. Someone said earlier, Bonino is making 4.1M playing as their 4th line centre. I think Smith is over paid too so he could be moved out. Even if only 1 of those 2 were moved they would have room for Duchene this year along with Sissons.

Sniper99

Jan 12, 2011
Edmonton
He would change our PP with that bomb from the point. Our pp is all about wrist shots with tips and no one is afraid of getting in front and blocking it.
A nice slapshot from the point will scare teams a bit.
Thats one of the things i've always liked about him, well except when he did it to us on the PP 6 games a year was his shot. I was thrilled as hell the day he got traded out of Montreal. Meant I could actually like him full time. :).

He doesnt have that stupid little wrist shot that Reilly and Gardiner do all the time where its pretty much floating towards the net.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
How is he a headcase?

I don't think this is about his colour. Subban is a big personality and like all of em, it's an easy excuse to get rid of them. As far as I know, the money going to the hospital hasn't been showing up last I read. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong here(I hope I am). Anyways, Subban at $9 million is crazy at this point. Even if you think hes good in the dressing room, I'm not sure I'd even take him retained. Nashville would have to eat $2 million at minimum to get me to give up something significant. Hes just not the same player he was 5 years ago.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
You could spend his caphit with two other players that contribute twice as much as him.

Terrible option and it's embarrassing that our fanbase is even contemplating this.

Reactions: Al14

Cappuccino

Aug 18, 2017
the Netherlands
If it was a fantasy draft I doubt many Leafs fans will take Subban as the first or even second D man available to them. But the thing is, we need D and we don't know the asking prices of those available. If Subban (retained) will cost Nylander, while all the better D men (for example Parayko, Pietrangelo, Burns, Doughty) will cost Marner and Liljegren for example, there might be not much choice. You could try to go for one of: Manson, Pesce, Brodie, Hamilton, Hamonic, but it will depend on the cost compared to the cost for Subban to know if the deal is a good one.

We will see what happens.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
If it was a fantasy draft I doubt many Leafs fans will take Subban as the first or even second D man available to them. But the thing is, we need D and we don't know the asking prices of those available. If Subban (retained) will cost Nylander, while all the better D men (for example Parayko, Pietrangelo, Burns, Doughty) will cost Marner and Liljegren for example, there might be not much choice. You could try to go for one of: Manson, Pesce, Brodie, Hamilton, Hamonic, but it will depend on the cost compared to the cost for Subban to know if the deal is a good one.

We will see what happens.
Depend where the Leafs is drafting?

I actually trust Dubas to actually have a great deal if he trades for Subban.

Reactions: WizardOfNaz

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Thats one of the things i've always liked about him, well except when he did it to us on the PP 6 games a year was his shot. I was thrilled as hell the day he got traded out of Montreal. Meant I could actually like him full time. :).

He doesnt have that stupid little wrist shot that Reilly and Gardiner do all the time where its pretty much floating towards the net.

And yet, with all that feared velocity, P.K.'s best year saw him score 16 goals. Morgan's floater...20. ;)
3 years at 6-6.5, ya maybe, as was said by MBP above, I don't see him as the same player he was with Montreal. Now Fabbro...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad