News Article: Tire Kicking Subban

I want Subban...

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Hes not the same player he was in Montreal....Hes not as offensive, hes focused more on the defensive end. He moves the puck well, is physical and trys his best to defend. Now he isnt a perfect defensive player but Muzzin-Subban would be amazing a shutting down the other teams top line.

Rielly should be let loose on easier QOC. He clearly isnt meant to play against top competition...This year he played top QOC pretty much all season for his 3rd year in a row. He has the highest xGA in the NHL, now he also had the highest xGF...Pretty crazy but it shows hes not keeping the puck out of our net but hes generating a ton of offense.

Im not saying Rielly is a terrible defensive player, i think hes pretty good and will continue to develop but clearly he was getting torched this year.

bentharbs

Feb 25, 2018
I don't really believe anything being reported right now. I think there are lots of discussions, and a brief chat about X player probably happens with 20+ team. IMO there has been a culture shift among NHL GMs toward silencing out the media, for good reason.

Link the big name with the big market to get readers/viewers. Nothing more until I see it. I think gone are the days of the "insider."

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
leafs subban - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

if we traded for Subban it would be really tight with the 80 million dollar cap. But it could work...Although i was very optimistic with Marners deal so maybe it cant work unless they retain or we are also moving out Kadri/Johnsson.

If the cap is 81 mil it could definitely work with Marner over 10 million.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
There's no way we're seriously after Subban. He makes too much money and it makes no sense.

This is all because the paparazzi spotted Dubas talking to Poile on the draft floor and the Canadian media machine had to spin it into us suddenly wanting whoever was on the Nashville trade block. Every GM talks to every other GM at the draft because that's what they do. 95% of the time it doesn't mean anything significant.

The Canadian sports media, in Toronto especially, is the most toxic, pot-stirring, click-baity group of journalists out there. We know they pull this stuff every year and we fall for it every year.

We're going to make trades and sign players but let's not buy in to the tabloid crap.

Reactions: DarkKnight

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
leafs subban - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

if we traded for Subban it would be really tight with the 80 million dollar cap. But it could work...Although i was very optimistic with Marners deal so maybe it cant work unless they retain or we are also moving out Kadri/Johnsson.

If the cap is 81 mil it could definitely work with Marner over 10 million.
Don't think it could work unless you only have 17-18 guys on the team...

Macallan18

Aug 10, 2015
Perhaps I've just been far too out of the loop, but I always hear about Subban being a problem child without ever hearing what exactly the problems are, aside from the fact that he's a big personality. I don't get the dislike. Yeah, he's loud and brash, but he seems like a good guy.
exactly, he is no Evander Kane!!!

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Subban at 6M would be unreal. Depending what we give up. If the cost to acquire is similar..

Subban @6M >>> Pesce @4

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Subban at 6M would be unreal. Depending what we give up. If the cost to acquire is similar..

Subban @6M >>> Pesce @4

Of course. Someone that can actually be a big threat to score goals and make insane zone exits through passing or skating. He had a bit off a down year production wise but still really good numbers.

I wouldn't give up the kitchen sink of course but you'd have to be off your rockers if you wouldn't trade for Subban for a deal that makes sense... ESPECIALLY if Nashville is willing to retain.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah, he's loud and brash, but he seems like a good guy

He is a great guy! A couple years ago he pledged 10 million to the children hospital in Montreal and after being traded he kept the pledge and made sure to visit the children there even while playing on Nashville.

Class act!

Reactions: therealkoho

ITM

As Long As It Takes
Jan 26, 2012
Thats one of the things i've always liked about him, well except when he did it to us on the PP 6 games a year was his shot. I was thrilled as hell the day he got traded out of Montreal. Meant I could actually like him full time. :).

He doesnt have that stupid little wrist shot that Reilly and Gardiner do all the time where its pretty much floating towards the net.

Rielly’s “stupid little wrist shot” just yielded a 20 goal/72 point season.

Feel free to compare Subban’s career highs to Rielly’s.

JEI

Jericho
Jun 7, 2004
Of course. Someone that can actually be a big threat to score goals and make insane zone exits through passing or skating. He had a bit off a down year production wise but still really good numbers.

I wouldn't give up the kitchen sink of course but you'd have to be off your rockers if you wouldn't trade for Subban for a deal that makes sense... ESPECIALLY if Nashville is willing to retain.

6m dollars for him is a smart buy. Depends on the acquisition cost. That's the one thing I can't wrap my head around unless they are taking Kadri and Brown or something.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
$6M for 3 more seasons is an absolute filthy deal.

But I cant wrap my head around what the acquisition cost would be. No idea.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Just turned 30 years old, but only 3 years left on his contract. Preds would have to eat a chunk of salary. To get him Nylander or a combination of players like Zaitsev/Kapanen or Kadri/Zaitsev would need to go back.

Wish he was 2-3 years younger. But he solves our top 2 right defence issue for 3 years. Health is a concern. Seems like a 65 game player most years. Longevity after contract is suspect so not sure I would extend or resign him.

Consistent Norris candidate probably a 40-45 point player if healthy.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
I think this is a deal where Dubas can kill a lot of birds with one stone and so can Poile. Nashville is not concerned about the cap this season, but next when Josi needs his deal. They also will create a hole at RHD if they move Subban leaving Ellis and Fabbro, and are in need of help at C. If the Leafs trade Kadri and Zaitsev they will be filling Nashville's holes in a cost effective way where they have filled the Subban spot, but also got the C they need in Kadri for probably half the price of a UFA Duchene. In my eyes Kadri and Duchene are the same tier of player.

In this scenario Nashville could afford to retain on Subban and still have tons of space to resign Josi next season. They could also afford this season to be the middle team in a Marleau to SJ scenario, because he would be off their cap at the end of the season. The deal would obviously probably be larger then Subban, Kadri and Zaitsev, but the framework is definitely there for something that works for both sides.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So that’s a no. That’s what I meant by second trade. Implies he may not be the best locker room guy

what it does imply is that they can no longer afford him starting next year as they need space for Josi and they need another high end winger at controlled cost

Willie 7m + Patty Marleau(3m retained) 10m gone from the Leafs cap, Preds buy out Marleau which will cost them about 1.5m in real dollars and leave a 3m caphit which disappears next year) Patty heads west 3m richer

PK Subban (3m retained) now Nashville has the space to sign Josi next year, the Leafs get a right shot high end top 4 guy to play with Morgan for 6m for the next 3 years, something they've been looking for since Rielly has been here, and a position they were going to have to spend on anyway

PK would've stayed in Montreal forever the fans loved him, but Pacioretti(sp?) loathed him and did have the captaincy. The Canadiens had to let one of them go, Weber was available problem solved and they booted Patches anyway, just not captain material that guy.

Reactions: GardinerTheForward

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
He is a great guy! A couple years ago he pledged 10 million to the children hospital in Montreal and after being traded he kept the pledge and made sure to visit the children there even while playing on Nashville.

Class act!

Doing a nice thing doesn't mean he's an easy personality to be around. Some of the people that make the big public gestures can also be some of the most obnoxious, narcissistic, etc to deal with on a regular basis.

I'm not saying Subban is obnoxious/narcissistic or has other difficult personality traits to deal with, just that him making a donation doesn't preclude him from having those traits and mean that he's definitely a great guy.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Nashville wins that deal.

& our Leafs win more games so its a WIN - WIN all around and everyone is happy. :)

The goal is to win more games not necessarily win every trade.

Local boy, former Norris Dman, right hand shot with big PP point blast that can eat up 25 minutes a night and upgrades the Leafs Dcore significantly.

Last edited:
Reactions: HR Pickens

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
I think one thing this shows is the management team is less concerned about managing the cap than fans are.
Seen Dubas lately?
Doesn’t seem one bit stressed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->