Prospect Info: Timothy Liljegren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don't care about advanced stats for D, but as I assume that chart was posted because of the assumed offensive zone starts comment I will just point out that Liljegren actually had a higher percentage of offensive zone starts that game (60% vs 55% for Sandin). Liljegren's really high percentage of defensive faceoffs was because of faceoffs during the shifts, not starting shifts.

Are there even stats that separate offense zone starts mid shift vs start of shift?? How did you conclude this?

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Babcock can easily bring up players he likes though. I remember some times last year when guys asked about Tavares or Marner, he might say something like "well don't forget Hyman out there, he gets em the puck". if he was really inclined, I am sure he could have also brought up Liljegren as another impressive young defenseman

I agree, it's silly to pit them against each other. Sandin is better, but that shouldn't be a slight to tear Lilly down

Sure, but by the same token, Babcock not bringing up a player doesn't meant they aren't doing well. Just means he didn't bring them up. Also given that Sandin and Lil are not pairing together, it'd be kinda odd to turn a Sandin question away to talk about Lil.

Sandin is certainly better with the puck.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Sure, but by the same token, Babcock not bringing up a player doesn't meant they aren't doing well. Just means he didn't bring them up. Also given that Sandin and Lil are pairing together, it'd be kinda odd to turn a Sandin question away to talk about Lil.

Sandin is certainly better with the puck.
True, I do think among the rest of our defensemen, Lilly is among the best. I've also been okay with Gravel and Kivihalme. I just don't know that Babcock is sold on him yet, but we'll see

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Is more likely to be on the team than Sandin. More responsible defensively and I think Lilj will break out with more talented players. Sandin has the high ceiling overall though but no refined defensively.

Reactions: The Cobra

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
fingers too big for tiny smartphones and i dont use autocorrect. youre aqying put him with the nhl club to gain confidence. that worked out for spqrks right? a few missed buttons and you say that?? I actually dont drink anymore pal
no im saying to put him with nhlers to actually see what he can do with some competent partners.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Liljegren has gotten very solid results in his two games. He isn't the flashy offensive guy people thought he was, but he's essentially the second coming of Anton Stralman. Excellent transition game, good in his own zone, but he won't be there that much.

I remember in his first pre-season game, he only started something like ~30% of his shifts in the offensive zone, but had a ES CF% of 55% or so which is really good.

Haven't seen numbers from last night, and he played with Rubins, so I imagine they were much more sheltered.

Liljegren is ready for the NHL if people accept him for what he is.

He's certainly looked better than Schmaltz (though Schmaltz has been fine - some good moments, some bad moments)

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Liljegren has gotten very solid results in his two games. He isn't the flashy offensive guy people thought he was, but he's essentially the second coming of Anton Stralman. Excellent transition game, good in his own zone, but he won't be there that much.

I remember in his first pre-season game, he only started something like ~30% of his shifts in the offensive zone, but had a ES CF% of 55% or so which is really good.

Haven't seen numbers from last night, and he played with Rubins, so I imagine they were much more sheltered.

He's certainly looked better than Schmaltz (though Schmaltz has been fine - some good moments, some bad moments)
against Buffalo he had 48.4 cf% and 44.7 xgf%, starting 60% of his shifts in the offensive end. But through 2 games he's at 59 cf% and 55 xgf%. although NST's numbers look really weird so i'm not sure how much to trust them

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

Agree entirely.

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough

This team could use a Stralman clone badly.

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Are there even stats that separate offense zone starts mid shift vs start of shift?? How did you conclude this?

There are statistics kept for both faceoffs: OZ, NZ and DZ
and for shift start: OZ, NZ, DZ and on the fly.

Obviously statistics for OZ faceoffs would include both OZ shift starts and OZ faceoffs that occur within shifts.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
He's gotta step his game up if he wants to make the team out of camp. Hopefully he does, I would like see him and Sandin on the bottom pair.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
Lilje looking like the best of the worst, but he should be grabbing a spot not handed one.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
“We were giving him these minutes early in the season, but it wasn’t going as well, and it was hurting our team, but he has really stabilized his game, and taken very big steps, and our team has benefited from it.”

He was being given more minutes than his play warranted prior to his injury. What I find fascinating, this is also when Dubas was saying he would have been called up if not for his injury...clearly some tire pumping bs because Keefe didn’t see it the same. Anyways, old news he was WAY better after the injury and is back on track.

Offensively and skating wise he was much better before the injury. Was poised for a big WJC and looked to be putting everything together before getting hurt, despit his defensive issues in the first few gams of the year. He did improve defensively as the year went on though.

djdev

Dec 26, 2015
costa rica
while he doesn’t have the statistical piece, he has taken such a large step in his ability to defend. His ability to take on big minutes. Play against the other teams best players, and he’s played on our top pair this year through the playoffs in very difficult matchups, and has handled it extremely well.

Has this just come on recently?
“Absolutely, LIljegren didn’t have a great start to the year, and he had his own injury problems. The high ankle sprain really set him back a number of weeks. Through that time, I’m not sure if it was the additional time in the gym, or the time with the skilled coaches, or just the time away from the daily grind in the daily schedule, when he came back from that injury, he had gotten better every time out. I think he’s playing his best hockey for us right now. That really helped us turn the corner. It was like adding a defenceman to our lineup that was really able to take on these minutes. We were giving him these minutes early in the season, but it wasn’t going as well, and it was hurting our team, but he has really stabilized his game, and taken very big steps, and our team has benefited from it.
This is all the evidence that you need. I know people will say, Keefe won't criticize a player in the media, but if you listen to him during his time with the Marlies, he has no problem being critical of young players. He did it to Nylander, Kapanen, Brooks to give a few examples. When Keefe is giving praise to a player, it's because he means it.
thats a far cry from "he was so bad i was going to scratch him" lol

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Offensively and skating wise he was much better before the injury. Was poised for a big WJC and looked to be putting everything together before getting hurt, despit his defensive issues in the first few gams of the year. He did improve defensively as the year went on though.

Liljegren does not have the hockey sense to be an offensive defenseman. I think deep down he wants to be or wanted to be, but he never will be at the NHL level.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015

The bolded is the key part. I think people are just being disappointed because his offensive game has been a little underwhelming, especially when compared to Sandin. I believe his offense will come eventually because be clearly has the tools, but even if he doesn't IMO he's already good enough to be a solid nhler because of his all around game. He's my pick for that 3rd pairing spot.

Reactions: The Cobra

Alerion

Dec 24, 2012
Halifax, NS
As with Sandin, Toronto would be smart to burn the first year of Liljegren's ELC this year. Those two paired together would be pretty neat for the first 9 games of the season but it doesn't seem like Babcock is going that way, so I'd guess we see Liljegren called up either after the first Blueline injury, or sometime after Christmas to get a taste of the show.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
As with Sandin, Toronto would be smart to burn the first year of Liljegren's ELC this year. Those two paired together would be pretty neat for the first 9 games of the season but it doesn't seem like Babcock is going that way, so I'd guess we see Liljegren called up either after the first Blueline injury, or sometime after Christmas to get a taste of the show.
Liljegrens ELC burns a year this year regardless. He's already had two slide years and he's 20 now.

I think he should be getting the sheltered 3rd pair minutes this year and then let Sandin take over his old role while Hollowell/Duszak get the Sandin treatment on the powerplay.

we have to put somebody with him that can move the puck as well though until Dermott gets back which unfortunately has to be Marincin or Kivihalme.

Reactions: Alerion
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad