Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Not wishing injury on anyone, but I won’t lie. When Bogo went down, my first thought was: “woot, Lili on Thursday”

Reactions: Twine Tickler

123offtheglass

Oct 30, 2017
Halifax
Not wishing injury on anyone, but I won’t lie. When Bogo went down, my first thought was: “woot, Lili on Thursday”

they’ll probably move Dermott to the right side.

Makes sense given Dermott was just taken out to fit in Sandin.

With Bogo out for the time being & the playoffs 10 games away, I'm guessing they'll put together at least few of these bottom pair variations:

Sandin - Dermott
Dermott - Liljegren
Hutton- Dermott
Hutton-Liljegren
Sandin-Liljegren

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Why the hell is Sandin getting a game with the Leafs after not playing for what, 6 weeks? And Lilly is getting snubbed after playing fantastic hockey with the Marlies. What does he have to do to get a game or 2?
Leafs are really good at developing forwards but honestly when it comes to defense and goaltending (since Cujo/Belfour) they have always struggled. Don't know if it's bad goalie coaches, shoddy drafting, or just plain old "crapshoot goalie".

Seeing Sandin and Liljegren playing in AHL is really good but we drafted them recently, and Liljegren spent most time cooking. I don't like how uninvolved they have been with NHL roster. You can chalk it up to Leafs personnel know more and better, but you look around league-wide and you see young dmen doing well and it just makes you think.

Who knows? Maybe Leafs have the inside scoop after all and Sandin and Liljegren are not ready. Or maybe it's some cap related thing, so lots of potential options.

Imo, I would sign Rielly for 4 million. He won't take it though.

I'm absolutely okay letting him walk FWIW, I'm happy with Sandin and Liljegren. Imo its absurd they haven't played more in NHL but whatever.

Reactions: stickty111

CabanaBoy5

Feb 17, 2013
Woodbridge
Leafs are really good at developing forwards but honestly when it comes to defense and goaltending (since Cujo/Belfour) they have always struggled. Don't know if it's bad goalie coaches, shoddy drafting, or just plain old "crapshoot goalie".

Seeing Sandin and Liljegren playing in AHL is really good but we drafted them recently, and Liljegren spent most time cooking. I don't like how uninvolved they have been with NHL roster. You can chalk it up to Leafs personnel know more and better, but you look around league-wide and you see young dmen doing well and it just makes you think.

Who knows? Maybe Leafs have the inside scoop after all and Sandin and Liljegren are not ready. Or maybe it's some cap related thing, so lots of potential options.

I'm absolutely okay letting him walk FWIW, I'm happy with Sandin and Liljegren. Imo its absurd they haven't played more in NHL but whatever.
If he won't take it, good riddance. He's our third best defenceman on an average defence. I think it's time we find out what we have in Sandin and Liljegren if he won't accept 4M for 5 yrs.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
I'm going to be honest this was my first thought too. I've absolutely loved Bogo's game this year. He has been exactly what we needed. Hopefully he is back and healthy before playoffs. If so, this is best case scenario for the Leafs IMO. Get Lilly some well deserved NHL action, and have him more NHL game ready should an injury occur in the playoffs. I hope the best for Bogo, truly been one of my favorite additions this year. Would love to bring him back next year, but I suspect its not in the cards unless they move Muzz. So if that was his final game as a leaf, it is definitely disappointing. But one man's misfortune is another man's opportunity. One that Lilly more than deserves at this point. Cannot wait to see what he brings

paulhiggins

Feb 4, 2006
Hopefully in his own zone he brings more of the "hard to play against" thing instead of the Barrie/Kaberle "give it away before they hit me" thing.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Isn’t it hard to bring up Liljegren now, aren’t you only allowed 2 emergency call ups after TDL, and taxi squad counts as AHL.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana

Bet if we had Boston's goalie trainers/coaches we'd be a lot better, seems their natural talents disappear AFTER the goalie joins the team.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
I honestly think Sandin is better than Dermott right now

I think Liljegren is better than Dermott when Dermott is playing on the right side

I think Dermott will either be traded or expansion fodder next year
Sandin is better offensively and a slightly better exit passer. But Dermott is still a much better skater, more physical and all around a better defender. And Dermott is no slouch when it comes to moving the puck. Both have their strengths but to say Sandin is more effective than Dermott rn is untrue imo.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Sandin is better offensively and a slightly better exit passer. But Dermott is still a much better skater, more physical and all around a better defender. And Dermott is no slouch when it comes to moving the puck. Both have their strengths but to say Sandin is more effective than Dermott rn is untrue imo.

Have to agree with this...

The Leafs have also evolved their game much more to sit back and wait for opportunities to come to them. Simply put, Dermott's better than Sandin in that role.

That being said, the above poster is right -- there's a very good chance he will be expansion draft fodder, and/or traded this offseason to make room for Sandin to jump into the lineup. Dermott is too good to lose the spot to Sandin, and they're not really an ideal pair.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013

Agreed. At this point, I would not be surprised to see Holl exposed before Dermott. I think Holl goes as far as Muzzin takes him, and I think Liljegren or Dermott can be just as effective if given a chance with Muzzin. I also feel like that pairing lacks a puck moving presence right now.

Reactions: Jacquestrapless

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I don’t think Keefe is high on him. He had him with the Marlies so he’d be familiar with him.

Jacquestrapless

Jun 5, 2011
Mississauga
Agreed. At this point, I would not be surprised to see Holl exposed before Dermott. I think Holl goes as far as Muzzin takes him, and I think Liljegren or Dermott can be just as effective if given a chance with Muzzin. I also feel like that pairing lacks a puck moving presence right now.
Can leafs sign Ben hutton to a contract? We could expose him and trade holl instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad