Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I thought the Taxi Squad were considered to be called up and being paid an NHL salary, they just don't count against the cap?

After TDL only 4 callups, and 2 emergency call ups, TS is considered AHLers they don’t count against cap on TS, but if called up they do.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I get that Dermott is the preferable option based on his experience, even if it means him playing on the right side.

I just don't understand why Liljegren hasn't gotten any looks at all if for no other reason than to give some of our regulars some rest.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
I wonder if the leafs had not lost 5 in a row and had a stronger hold on 1st if we would be seeing Liljegren and not Dermott.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I get that Dermott is the preferable option based on his experience, even if it means him playing on the right side.

I just don't understand why Liljegren hasn't gotten any looks at all if for no other reason than to give some of our regulars some rest.
Salary cap. Waivers.

mydnyte

Sep 8, 2004
Liljegren is getting the Holl treatment right now, can only hope it turns out similarly.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Salary cap. Waivers.

This, Bogosian is out but not LTIR. So the cap space may have been a piece to it.
The difference because we are in LTIR is the difference between Sandin at $895k vs Liljgren at $1.263m (I saw this somewhere, not sure exactly where)

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I think Sandin and Lily ar eour 5/6 next year. Morgan gets traded and we target a cheaper UFA than Morgan

If you over spend on the forward group , you need to find savings elsewhere, I think Andersen is too expensive, probably Campbell and a UFA next year. I think Rielly is going to be too expensive. Its not that I don't want Morgan, its that I dont think we can afford him.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I think Sandin and Lily ar eour 5/6 next year. Morgan gets traded and we target a cheaper UFA than Morgan

If you over spend on the forward group , you need to find savings elsewhere, I think Andersen is too expensive, probably Campbell and a UFA next year. I think Rielly is going to be too expensive. Its not that I don't want Morgan, its that I dont think we can afford him.

We had to pay 5 and 5.625 mill for 2/3 guys in Brodie and Muzzin. We aren't getting a 1D cheaper than we are getting Rielly, who almost certainly doesn't make over 7 mill on his next deal.

So unless you want to make our defense noticeably worse up top, and get rid of one of the best puck movers in the league, we aren't moving Rielly for a cheaper replacement. Hamilton is the only guy who comes close to replacing Rielly and he is almost certainly going to be more expensive than Rielly.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
A 22 year old playing a position that requires a fair bit of development time is still developing. Must be something terribly wrong. His agent should demand a trade.

Reactions: therealkoho

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
We had to pay 5 and 5.625 mill for 2/3 guys in Brodie and Muzzin. We aren't getting a 1D cheaper than we are getting Rielly, who almost certainly doesn't make over 7 mill on his next deal.

So unless you want to make our defense noticeably worse up top, and get rid of one of the best puck movers in the league, we aren't moving Rielly for a cheaper replacement. Hamilton is the only guy who comes close to replacing Rielly and he is almost certainly going to be more expensive than Rielly.

It a function of not having money to spend , we got Hyman, Andersen and Rielly all to sign , probably raise for 2 of the 3. You wont replace Morgan's talent at a lower price, you will find a 3.4 guy on the cheap and hope the sum of the whole is better than what you lose with Morgan gone

Its not that I want to make our D worse its that we are under a cap and you don't get to keep all your shiny toys in a cap world, Chicago had to shed good players, Tampa had to shed good players its just a fact of life some really good players have to go.

Think about this, as we are structured today, we are a cap team, add a few mill to Hyman and Morgan, that puts us over the cap.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It a function of not having money to spend , we got Hyman, Andersen and Rielly all to sign , probably raise for 2 of the 3. You wont replace Morgan's talent at a lower price, you will find a 3.4 guy on the cheap and hope the sum of the whole is better than what you lose with Morgan gone

Its not that I want to make our D worse its that we are under a cap and you don't get to keep all your shiny toys in a cap world, Chicago had to shed good players, Tampa had to shed good players its just a fact of life some really good players have to go.

Think about this, as we are structured today, we are a cap team, add a few mill to Hyman and Morgan, that puts us over the cap.

Hyman should not be getting a significant raise. 1.5 mill max. Let's say Rielly gets the same.

We are not getting a 5 mill replacement for Andersen. Let's say we save 2 mill from him to his replacement. If Kerfoot is gone in expansion, which seems likely at this point, the difference between him and his replacement likely covers the rest. That doesn't include any savings from cutting some cap at Simmonds' and Engvall's positions.

We already have a number of younger, cheap prospects lined up to take spots next year too, and that doesn't include guys like Okulov or any bargain bin guys we may add. We may be able to bring back Nash and Galchenyuk for fairly cheap, since neither are going to have huge markets next year.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
A 22 year old playing a position that requires a fair bit of development time is still developing. Must be something terribly wrong. His agent should demand a trade.

Liljegren has no trade value. Also, Liljegren wouldnt be in the NHL on another team. From what Ive seen, I highly doubt Liljegren is an NHL defender. His reads at the NHL level were awful and basically it looks like he guessed. He made alot of very bizarre mistakes. The game looks like chaos for him at the NHL level. I saw a good skater who worked hard but could not read the game. Keefe knows him well and obviously must know that Liljegren struggles to read the game, they are not holding him back. The Leafs are not holding Liljegren back.

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
Liljegren has no trade value. Also, Liljegren wouldnt be in the NHL on another team. From what Ive seen, I highly doubt Liljegren is an NHL defender. His reads at the NHL level were awful and basically it looks like he guessed. He made alot of very bizarre mistakes. The game looks like chaos for him at the NHL level. I saw a good skater who worked hard but could not read the game. Keefe knows him well and obviously must know that Liljegren struggles to read the game, they are not holding him back. The Leafs are not holding Liljegren back.

Couldn't this description also be used to describe Rielly and a lot of offensive dmen?

13pacheco31

Jan 17, 2014
I couldn't disagree more with you. He was never given any good opportunities even when he did get the odd game as a 7th defender. And with the little ice time he got, he wasn't flashy but he was relatively safe. He made far fewer mistakes than Sandin did and was really good at boxing players to the outside and pinning them along the boards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad