Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafSteel

GO LEAFS GO!!!
Mar 5, 2014
Toronto
I still do not understand people who say they are Leaf fans yet are pulling for this guy to fail.

He spent the majority of his draft year as the consensus No. 2 pick overall, until he got sick, and our professional scouts were giddy with disbelief that we snagged him at all.

The guy can be a top 4 RHD, which, you know, we have none of in our pipeline currently, and yet there are people here relishing every time this young guy has a set-back of any kind.

I don't understand people sometimes, but I am a Leaf fan and I think this guy has an important role to play for us down the road in order for us to be successful. I guess I'm some kind of freak..........

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I still do not understand people who say they are Leaf fans yet are pulling for this guy to fail.

He spent the majority of his draft year as the consensus No. 2 pick overall, until he got sick, and our professional scouts were giddy with disbelief that we snagged him at all.

The guy can be a top 4 RHD, which, you know, we have none of in our pipeline currently, and yet there are people here relishing every time this young guy has a set-back of any kind.

I don't understand people sometimes, but I am a Leaf fan and I think this guy has an important role to play for us down the road in order for us to be successful. I guess I'm some kind of freak..........
Yeah, people can be weird.
Most just want the best 20 to dress every night.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
Is he a Reilly, Nylander, Marner, Matthews level 1st round pick? No, but IMO he’s gonna be a solid #4 in a few years when he gets used to the NHL pace like he’s gotten used to the AHL pace as just a 21 year old.

I say he’s a mainstay in the top 6 as early as next year

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Seems to me he has a good shot and being a steady two-way top-4 defender. On the right side nonetheless. A player the Leafs have really needed for awhile now.

He's ready for the NHL ... Just needs the proper time and coaching at the NHL level to polish his game. There will be bumpy spots but as he gets more experience he'll keep getting better IMO.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Was on another site and they were just piling on Liljegren.

It was comical, like these guys were speaking as if they knew what was going on and tried to sound like experts about how they know he's a highly overrated player who may never make the Leafs.

Wonder if that is how some people here come across to outsiders?

NHL.com Stats

Maybe some people have zero patience?

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Timothy Liljegren is probably going to be one of those 26 year old under the radar defensemen who are indispensable to a team making a long playoff run, but in the mean time he's going to resemble one of those young Anton Stralman type guys who you wonder "will this guy ever figure it out?"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Was on another site and they were just piling on Liljegren.

It was comical, like these guys were speaking as if they knew what was going on and tried to sound like experts about how they know he's a highly overrated player who may never make the Leafs.

Wonder if that is how some people here come across to outsiders?

NHL.com Stats

Maybe some people have zero patience?

Some have less than 0 patience

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Timothy Liljegren is probably going to be one of those 26 year old under the radar defensemen who are indispensable to a team making a long playoff run, but in the mean time he's going to resemble one of those young Anton Stralman type guys who you wonder "will this guy ever figure it out?"
I am sorta glad littlegrin is not knocking it out of the park early

those type of players get real expensive real early in leaf land,,unlike all other markets.

Reactions: supermann_98

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo

Him and Kapanen are this decade's Steen and Stralman. Hopefully we choose a different path.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Fortunately Stempniak and Primeau are no longer playing.

Knock on wood for Dermott's health moving forward, but he almost fits as Coco in the analogy. So much talent drained for no gain.

Last edited:
Reactions: kb

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Him and Kapanen are this decade's Steen and Stralman. Hopefully we choose a different path.
This has scary resemblance.

At the very least, ride Kapanen out until his current contract expires and trade his RFA rights at full pop if your hands are tied by the cap.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph

I always thought Stralman and Hjarlmarsson were good comparisons for him.

He's actually way ahead of where they were at the same age, though.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
I was watching a report the other day that he was practicing with AJ and Woll. Does anybody know if he can be added on to the extended roster if and when he is ready to play? Sorry but Mac is not ready for a call up if needed.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Man it's been so long since we had a defender regularly tee one up from the point and actually be a threat.

Liljegren's really smart in choosing when to clap or when to use his half wind up, reminded me so much of Franson. I think he needs more reps in the NHL though, the AHL may be really close to the NHL in level of play (especially for the greenhorns tasked with playing against the 3rd/4th lines) but the structure of play and the speed of the game is just not the same.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Just needs reps to gain his confidence...Starting next year on 3rd pairing and hopefully in a year or two ...or three, will be in our top 4. He has all the tools and strength (with more coming as he matures) to be a good two way, shut down defender who moves the puck well...Offensive ceiling to be determined due to usage as time goes on. Not sure he's ready to play in these playoffs but we'll see if there's an injury or two.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

No my friend... you have something called common sense and vision. Those who want Lilly pad to fail are not even fans. Hes going to be a huge part of a cup win imho too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->