Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Beca
I was going on the assumption that a team wouldn't say to a reporter (or make public) that a player was unfit if it was something else as "unfit" implies he was out of shape or, simply not fit. Kind of throwing the player under the bus -- a public shaming that would be justified if he showed up at camp looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

If it was an actual injury why not just say he suffered a LBI, etc? If he has a non-Covid-related illness, just say he has a non-Covid-related illness. If it is Covid ... LBI?
Because that is how the league mandated it to be reported.

Really no need to try to make it into something else that it is not.

Reactions: therealkoho

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
What are they going to do when a team has a 6 week injury, or out for rest of playoffs
Unfit to play
This isn’t going to work

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
I hope he's alright and if it is Covid-19 he makes a quick and full recovery. I'm no doctor but I wonder if having Mono in the past makes it worse to have Covid similar to having diabetes or respiratory issues makes it more serious.

Gotta admit when I heard "unfit to play" I immediately thought like did he show up to practice drunk or high? Doesn't seem like the type

Reactions: Alamo Leafer

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I doubt "unfit to play" means he tested positive, sounds more like he was literally unfit.
Maybe read the NHL mandate before coming to conclusions. Read below.

It's what the league has mandated teams say for injuries, Covid positive tests, etc.

It could literally mean he's "unfit to play", but it's more likely that a gym rat like him is either injured or sick. No matter what though it's most likely an unfortunate situation not seeing him on the ice today.

I was going on the assumption that a team wouldn't say to a reporter (or make public) that a player was unfit if it was something else as "unfit" implies he was out of shape or, simply not fit. Kind of throwing the player under the bus -- a public shaming that would be justified if he showed up at camp looking like the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man.

If it was an actual injury why not just say he suffered a LBI, etc? If he has a non-Covid-related illness, just say he has a non-Covid-related illness. If it is Covid ... LBI?

Beca

Because that is how the league mandated it to be reported.

Really no need to try to make it into something else that it is not.

The people thinking Liljegren is actually unfit or out of shape are ridiculous lol.

He's one of our most jacked prospects and was constantly in the gym with Clune and Gaudet when he could be.

He's either injured or has tested positive for Covid.

I know some fans here love to rip on him any chance they get but come on.

I hope he's alright and if it is Covid-19 he makes a quick and full recovery. I'm no doctor but I wonder if having Mono in the past makes it worse to have Covid similar to having diabetes or respiratory issues makes it more serious.

Gotta admit when I heard "unfit to play" I immediately thought like did he show up to practice drunk or high? Doesn't seem like the type
This is from Siegal's article today.

Liljegren’s absence

In line with the NHL’s current policy on keeping players’ medical information private, all Keefe would say about the 21-year-old defenceman is that he was “unfit” to play. Liljegren was at the facility Monday. Just after noon, wearing a mask over his face, a backward ball cap and backpack on his shoulders, Liljegren had a brief chat with Paul Ayotte, the Leafs head athletic therapist, also in a mask. Then he was gone. We shall see if he’s on the ice later this week.

The person pretending it is anything but Covid 19 or injury, needs to read this.
Also considering he was still around the rink, tells me he is dealing with an injury and isn't sick. I doubt he would be there if he got it.

Reactions: LeafSteel and kb

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Maybe read the NHL mandate before coming to conclusions. Read below.

Yes, it was the first player many of us heard being called "unfit to play" but all that work you and others did trying to sound smart didn't really clarify anything - I said that from the sounds of it he likely doesn't have Covid-19 so it's probably something else. What's changed?

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Yes, it was the first player many of us heard being called "unfit to play" but all that work you and others did trying to sound smart didn't really clarify anything - I said that from the sounds of it he likely doesn't have Covid-19 so it's probably something else. What's changed?
There was a player on the Oilers who was "unfit to play". So does that mean he was out of shape too? Or had unprofessional behaviour
Considering Keefe said it was not serious, and Liljegren spoke to the Athletic trainer, shows you trying to sound smart by saying he was out of shape wasn't accurate. Your speculation turned out to be wrong
Nothing changed, he is likely dealing with a minor injury.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
No, just until he is fit to play again. It's like saying undisclosed injury.
No I mean, teams are now only allowed to say "unfit to play" when a player is injured or sick. Is that just for this season because of COVID-19 or for the rest of the CBA?

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
No I mean, teams are now only allowed to say "unfit to play" when a player is injured or sick. Is that just for this season because of COVID-19 or for the rest of the CBA?
Oh sorry, misunderstood. I believe it is 'unfit' until the player gets healthy, and then the team has the option of letting him rejoin if they remove someone from the list.

It's a good question to see if this happens as a rule moving forward.

Reactions: MapleLeafs9

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
I'm not sure but it might be the rest of the CBA which would be interesting.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Oh sorry, misunderstood. I believe it is 'unfit' until the player gets healthy, and then the team has the option of letting him rejoin if they remove someone from the list.

It's a good question to see if this happens as a rule moving forward.
So once tubby drops a few pounds he can rejoin the team?

Reactions: kb and Smif

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Once he burps up a few buckets of KFC, he may get reinstated. Unless he is too drunk.
Thought the pot heads were more into the Doritos and Dr Pepper?

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
This thread is exactly why "unfit to play" was a terrible choice of language by the league. 90% of fans aren't reading the NHL's press releases. They see the word "unfit" and jump to conclusions.

They should use language fans are familiar with and call everything an injury. Or just straight up say, we're not commenting on the status of any player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad