Tribute Timothy Liljegren Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
So, is Liljegren an upper-body unfit to play or a lower-body unfit to play?

That would really tell us something.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This thread is exactly why "unfit to play" was a terrible choice of language by the league. 90% of fans aren't reading the NHL's press releases. They see the word "unfit" and jump to conclusions.

They should use language fans are familiar with and call everything an injury. Or just straight up say, we're not commenting on the status of any player.

"Unfit to play" is perfectly fine and clearly can mean anything from Covid19, to an injury, to being too fat. Not the NHL's that fault people are stupid and believe what they want.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The people thinking Liljegren is actually unfit or out of shape are ridiculous lol.

He's one of our most jacked prospects and was constantly in the gym with Clune and Gaudet when he could be.

He's either injured or has tested positive for Covid.

I know some fans here love to rip on him any chance they get but come on.
He is in great physical shape and his conditioning is fine. I was told he hurt his wrist in gym in off ice workout. No one on Leafs has COVID. Trying to find out if he is out a week or a month. Either way it likely puts him out of competing for a spot for play-in. He really does have some horrible luck on medical front.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
He is in great physical shape and his conditioning is fine. I was told he hurt his wrist in gym in off ice workout. No one on Leafs has COVID. Trying to find out if he is out a week or a month. Either way it likely puts him out of competing for a spot for play-in. He really does have some horrible luck on medical front.
Thanks for the info:)

Reactions: Sundinisagod and kb

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
"Unfit to play" is perfectly fine and clearly can mean anything from Covid19, to an injury, to being too fat. Not the NHL's that fault people are stupid and believe what they want.

Throwing up your hands and saying “not my fault” is not a great way to run a multi-billion dollar sports league.

Regardless of whose fault it is the confusion was easily foreseeable and does the league and players no favours.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Throwing up your hands and saying “not my fault” is not a great way to run a multi-billion dollar sports league.

Regardless of whose fault it is the confusion was easily foreseeable and does the league and players no favours.
It is gonna make some guys look bad but clearly there is a good legal reason why it is what it is. Hockey was never ever good about explaining why guys are out. Now with privacy issues at play with COVID we are moving into next level stupid. Guys like dingy Simmons will have a field day.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
It is gonna make some guys look bad but clearly there is a good legal reason why it is what it is. Hockey was never ever good about explaining why guys are out. Now with privacy issues at play with COVID we are moving into next level stupid. Guys like dingy Simmons will have a field day.

I'm not saying their decision to keep the information private was a bad idea, I'm saying they could have come up with more useful language than "unfit to play".

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not saying their decision to keep the information private was a bad idea, I'm saying they could have come up with more useful language than "unfit to play".
Probably Bettman and his team of eagle begals with da legal sounding name ... i don't like it either but they have to say something that covers everything but says nothing like good political lawyer speak ... and clearly it gets people talking about it so probably gets more attention, even if its bad attention ... kinda like da marketing people always tell me if it gets people talking about your products because its a bad commercial actually works great; either outstandingly great or bad ... good ones that no one talk about are useless as people don't pay attention to those ones

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
would Liljegren make the lineup if he was suited to play anyways?

When healthy Muzzin, Rielly, Barrie, Holl, Ceci and Dermott are clearly the 6. Based on ice-time after Rosen was acquired at the deadline the likely order of D coming in to cover for injuries would be Marincin, Sandin, Rosen, Liljegren. However, I suspect that Rosen would probably fill in before Sandin.

Reactions: kb

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's also about optics.

If there are enough COVID infections to jeopardize a team's effective participation, they don't want that information to be public.

The lack of transparency would just leave people to speculate, which from a league perspective might be better than knowing the truth because it gives them every so slightly more control over the flow of information.

As if no one would figure it out anyway.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Dubas obviously didn't say what was wrong with Lilly on Tim and Sid, but he said he would be surprised if he isn't ready for August 2nd.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542 and kb

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There’s nothing wrong with unfit to play. The only thing that is wrong is how bored some folks are to fixate on it. A side effect of the unfortunate mass unemployment for certain.

It’s a vague designation meant to not distinguish between an injury, fitness level and health status.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dubas said something about him being ready by August. A few weeks should be more than enough time to drop a few pounds if needed.

Reactions: Menzinger

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada

Looking more and more likely it's an injury.

The only conclusion I can get from this is that it is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely he has COVID. He is either injured (most likely), out of shape (least likely) or sitting out for contract/trade reasons (just throwing that out there)

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
It’s a vague designation meant to not distinguish between an injury, fitness level and health status.

tenor.gif

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
The only conclusion I can get from this is that it is HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY unlikely he has COVID. He is either injured (most likely), out of shape (least likely) or sitting out for contract/trade reasons (just throwing that out there)

I don't think you even need to qualify it as highly unlikely. It would have to be a violation of the RTP rules to have an infected player that close to the team (one would hope). He's probably just injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->