Proposal: Time To Trade David Krejci

Parch

Jul 31, 2005
Krejci is one year away from UFA, plus we just can't ignore that Boston has cap considerations.

I think there's some considerable overvaluation going on in here, but I guess it's alright to dream.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That's a very accurate list of #1 centers for all thirty teams. Just my own rating but I'd put Krejci ahead of about 15 of those guys and I wasn't being generous to Krejci at all. Of course we can't forget about other quality #2s like Malkin, Duchene, Mackinnon, Pavelski etc.

MacKinnon will likely play wing unless the Avs have an injured center. Also Duchene is their number 1 center now for sure with Stastny gone.

member 96824

MacKinnon will likely play wing unless the Avs have an injured center. Also Duchene is their number 1 center now for sure with Stastny gone.

I don't know, Ryan O'Reilly played more wing than MacKinnon did this past year if I remember right

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
Krejci is one year away from UFA, plus we just can't ignore that Boston has cap considerations.

I think there's some considerable overvaluation going on in here, but I guess it's alright to dream.

Krejci will - as he did last go-round - re-sign before he reaches free agency. That is Chiarelli's M.O.

The cap will go up after next year. That's why you just saw Toews and Kane get re-signed for big money. As many others have pointed out, it's not about the dollar amount, it's about the percentage of the cap.

And if anything, Krejci is mostly undervalued on this board. Ask fans of other teams what they think of him sometime.

Kaoz*

Krejci had over a minute more TOI per game than Bergeron last season fwiw. has also averaged more TOI than Bergeron in the last 4 playoff seasons. Just sayin'

Also tends to get more offensive starts (believe Bergeron was at 46% last year and Krejci was at 53%).

Funny that offensively they're always in the same ballpark though, with Bergeron at times surpassing Krejci when Krejci gets more time on ice, more offensive zone starts, and the easier matchups.

Coming in 2nd to Patty B isn't a slight though.

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Krejci will - as he did last go-round - re-sign before he reaches free agency. That is Chiarelli's M.O.

The cap will go up after next year. That's why you just saw Toews and Kane get re-signed for big money. As many others have pointed out, it's not about the dollar amount, it's about the percentage of the cap.

And if anything, Krejci is mostly undervalued on this board. Ask fans of other teams what they think of him sometime.

I agree with this and pile on with: 1. The Bruins' center scenario is the envy of every team besides L.A. and Pittsburgh and, with their offseason moves, Anaheim and St. Louis. Anyone else would love to have Boston's situation at center; 2. If Bergeron wasn't a Bruin, Krejci would be a legit candidate on the team for Selke.

Trade Krejci and find out how the other half lives. I'd keep him right on salary par with Bergy the way Chicago has Kane and Toews.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I agree with this and pile on with: 1. The Bruins' center scenario is the envy of every team besides L.A. and Pittsburgh and, with their offseason moves, Anaheim and St. Louis. Anyone else would love to have Boston's situation at center; 2. If Bergeron wasn't a Bruin, Krejci would be a legit candidate on the team for Selke.

Trade Krejci and find out how the other half lives. I'd keep him right on salary par with Bergy the way Chicago has Kane and Toews.

Hypothetically, what happens if Krejci doesn't think this way, and wants to cash in? Guys are getting paid 8 million + a year for 7-8 years. (Toews and Kane got 10.5, realistically, a team could throw 9 million at Krejci) Even with the cap going up, is Krejci an 8 million dollar player?

Hoping he signs something reasonable and stays, but until it's a official, the speculation is going to be there.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

And what happens if the cap comes up and then goes down and comes up, as it has been? Estimations each year fluctuate, and players overpaid stick out like a sore thumb when it happens. (see, overpaying Chris Kelly, even by 500k, cap didn't go up as we'd like, and it basically handcuffed us this off season). Even if it's a temporary down season, and looking to rise again the following year, a 7 million dollar player making 8 million will hurt.

Chia would like to re-sign Krejci, and maybe Krejci will sign for a reasonable contract, but at what percentage do we pay him? Until he's officially signed with a reasonable number, I think it's perfectly acceptable to speculate and discuss.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Hypothetically, what happens if Krejci doesn't think this way, and wants to cash in? Guys are getting paid 8 million + a year for 7-8 years. (Toews and Kane got 10.5, realistically, a team could throw 9 million at Krejci) Even with the cap going up, is Krejci an 8 million dollar player?

Hoping he signs something reasonable and stays, but until it's a official, the speculation is going to be there.

he`s earned about 30 mill already, is playing in an organization that gives him a chance to win each season, plays a big role on his team in a great hockey market with a respected coach behind the bench.

I just don`t see him going anywhere

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
And what happens if the cap comes up and then goes down and comes up, as it has been? Estimations each year fluctuate, and players overpaid stick out like a sore thumb when it happens. (see, overpaying Chris Kelly, even by 500k, cap didn't go up as we'd like, and it basically handcuffed us this off season). Even if it's a temporary down season, and looking to rise again the following year, a 7 million dollar player making 8 million will hurt.

Chia would like to re-sign Krejci, and maybe Krejci will sign for a reasonable contract, but at what percentage do we pay him? Until he's officially signed with a reasonable number, I think it's perfectly acceptable to speculate and discuss.

when was the last year the cap decreased??

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
when was the last year the cap decreased??

The actual amount of the cap varies on a year-to-year basis, and is calculated as a percentage of the League's revenue from the previous season; for instance, in 2007–08, the NHL's salary cap was approximately US$50.3 million per team; for the 2008–09 season it was $56.7 million; for the 2009-10 season it was $56.8 million; for the 2010-11 season it was $59.4 million; and for the 2011-12 season it was $64.3 million. Following the 2012–13 lockout, the 2012–13 salary cap has been set at $60 million, but teams can still spend up to $70.2 million, pro-rated for the shortened season length.[
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHL_salary_cap

I think this is what they were referring to.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Also tends to get more offensive starts (believe Bergeron was at 46% last year and Krejci was at 53%).

Funny that offensively they're always in the same ballpark though, with Bergeron at times surpassing Krejci when Krejci gets more time on ice, more offensive zone starts, and the easier matchups.

Coming in 2nd to Patty B isn't a slight though.

Obviously Bergeron is one of the best two way centers in the league and he goes against other team's top lines but most top lines are not always defensively responsible. Krejci on the other hand gets the attention of opposing checking lines. I wouldn't think in general that he gets the easier matchups.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
I think Krejci is going to get a similar deal to Bergy. 6-7 years and a slightly higher cap hit but 0 signing bonuses and likely a modified NTC like he has now.

As Kirk posted before, Bergy's cap hit is less but he gets a signing bonus every year which is something Krejci does not get.

Speaks volumes of the organization and how lucky we are to have 2 #1 Centers.

I think Krejci signs an extension just before the season starts like Seidenberg last year.

To me, Krejci is worth every penny.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Not following the overvaluation or the dream part- tossed out there but not specific enough for me

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

I suppose anything is possible, but it would be out of character, going all the way back to when the Bruins re-signed Krejci to a reasonable contract and traded Kessel, who was demanding more.

Krejci has been and will continue to be well compensated, but if he starts making outrageous contract demands, that'll be a first.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

Got that right. Tremendous center strength is a pillar of the Bruins' foundation. It puzzles me that anyone thinks yanking that pillar away would make this team better.

member 96824

Got that right. Tremendous center strength is a pillar of the Bruins' foundation. It puzzles me that anyone thinks yanking that pillar away would make this team better.

I guess it depends on if you believe Soderberg is thag much of a downgrade.

Personally, starting the season Bergeron-Krejci-Kelly is at least to me similar to starting Bergeron-Soderberg-Spooner.

Maybe there's a drop in Soderbergs play? Id be surprised though, he's got the tools and on a line with more talent I dont see why he couldnt put up 62 and play a solid two way game like Krejci.

I dont think that "pillar" would be yanked away, and strength down the middle would still be there. Especially if Spooner continues to follow Krejci's career path.

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
I guess it depends on if you believe Soderberg is thag much of a downgrade.

Personally, starting the season Bergeron-Krejci-Kelly is at least to me similar to starting Bergeron-Soderberg-Spooner.

Maybe there's a drop in Soderbergs play? Id be surprised though, he's got the tools and on a line with more talent I dont see why he couldnt put up 62 and play a solid two way game like Krejci.

I dont think that "pillar" would be yanked away, and strength down the middle would still be there. Especially if Spooner continues to follow Krejci's career path.

What?

If things stay as they are, they'll start the season Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg (Campbell), with Kelly on Carl's wing.

And I like Soderberg, but if you think he's interchangeable with Krejci, well, you've proved my point about Krejci being undervalued around here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Seems like a very good marriage why split up and don't give me buh, buh, the cap! It won't be Krejci where this is resolved. He's a core player who has become a pretty complete player.

member 96824

What?

If things stay as they are, they'll start the season Bergeron-Krejci-Soderberg (Campbell), with Kelly on Carl's wing.

And I like Soderberg, but if you think he's interchangeable with Krejci, well, you've proved my point about Krejci being undervalued around here.

Referencing to what they started with the last two seasons. Figured that would be kind of obvious

And maybe you're right that Soderberg wouldnt be able to fill the role...but he impressed me seriously this year playing with a shadow of Loui Eriksson and 4th line guy in Kelly. If you gave him healthy Loui and Milan Lucic, I could see him producing at a Krejci level.

To me the bigger question would be Spooner, not Soderberg playing up, but I think with a few growing pains he would fill the role similar to DK back when he was just a kid with good AHL numbers and limited NHL experience

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
I wonder how Krejci, Loui, and Soderberg would look on a line together. Move Lucic to the 3rd so he can get back to punishing opponents. I miss those days.

member 96824

I wonder how Krejci, Loui, and Soderberg would look on a line together. Move Lucic to the 3rd so he can get back to punishing opponents. I miss those days.

Don't like moving Soderberg out of center and definitely don't like moving Lucic down to the third line to play with who?

Lucic-Kelly-___?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad