Proposal: Time To Trade David Krejci

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
I suppose anything is possible, but it would be out of character, going all the way back to when the Bruins re-signed Krejci to a reasonable contract and traded Kessel, who was demanding more.

Krejci has been and will continue to be well compensated, but if he starts making outrageous contract demands, that'll be a first.

I don't disagree. But again, until he is officially signed to something, my question remains unanswered. What is the tipping point for an outrageous contract demand? Every response given has basically been, "oh he'll sign to a reasonable contract", but what is reasonable? What is outrageous? I am just curious to where others place these numbers. And if he hypothetically approaches those outrageous numbers, what do we do?

bb_fan

Feb 27, 2002
boston
Visit site
I guess it depends on if you believe Soderberg is thag much of a downgrade.

Personally, starting the season Bergeron-Krejci-Kelly is at least to me similar to starting Bergeron-Soderberg-Spooner.

Maybe there's a drop in Soderbergs play? Id be surprised though, he's got the tools and on a line with more talent I dont see why he couldnt put up 62 and play a solid two way game like Krejci.

I dont think that "pillar" would be yanked away, and strength down the middle would still be there. Especially if Spooner continues to follow Krejci's career path.

whut?

three known's in Bergeron, krejci and Kelley equal one and half unknown's in Bergeron Soderberg Spooner?

How do you see those two different sets of center's as 'similar'?

yeah, it would be great if Soderberg is equal to or better than he was last year, but that's your 'half' known quantity, he doesn't have a track record in the NHL yet to say with any certainty, and Spooner is 100% of an unknown.

ksp1957

Apr 11, 2006
South Shore
Just this briefly. Krejci is a really good player and I'd like him to stay with the Bruins. That being posted, if the Bruins have a chance to make a deal that will give them the tools to compete better for the Cup, they'd be crazy not to go for it.

member 96824

whut?

three known's in Bergeron, krejci and Kelley equal one and half unknown's in Bergeron Soderberg Spooner?

How do you see those two different sets of center's as 'similar'?

yeah, it would be great if Soderberg is equal to or better than he was last year, but that's your 'half' known quantity, he doesn't have a track record in the NHL yet to say with any certainty, and Spooner is 100% of an unknown.

I don't know how much of "unknown" we could call Soderberg, we've seen his skillset at both wing and center, on the power play, and with multiple linemates.

I mean at one point Savard was newly acquired, Krejci was a kid in the AHL, and Bergeron hadn't played hockey in a year. Unknown does not equal bad. Known does not equal good.

I believe that Soderberg has all the tools to step into a top 6 role and play as effectively as Krejci has. Soderberg's point per minute rate(.0461) was higher than Krejci's(.045) this year and in his usual 62 point seasons(.043), while playing with significantly worse linemates than Krejci did/has. Now...I understand that he's not drawing the same D matchups that Krejci drew this year, but the linemate difference at least in my opinion offsets that.

Spooner is definitely unknown at the NHL level. He came up, scored at a 41 point pace, but definitely had things to work on. No different than when Krejci came up his first time....but he's clearly outgrown the AHL game and dominated the playoffs down there. There would absolutely be growing pains, not saying there wouldn't be, but I believe in his ability as an NHL player.

I think Kelly is unknown as well. Do you know what we are going to get from him? I don't. Starting out the 2013-14 season with Kelly as a center, after the year he had and the first half he had was a "known" that I wouldn't want to experience and/or call a "pillar of strength." He was awful in 2013 and struggled hard the first half of this last season.

This also doesn't dive into what the potential return for Krejci would be, which would also be strong I would have to assume.

All I'm saying is I don't believe that if in this hypothetical situation you deal Krejci, you're knocking out pillars of center strength. It's completely possible to deal David Krejci and improve overall as a team, the same way it was possible for others in the past. I don't think overall it would be too far off what we've started the last two seasons with. Maybe that's over confidence in Soderberg? Hard to tell, but I think a Lucic-Soderberg-Loui line would be a damn good 2nd line if Loui breaks the downward trend and gets back to his pre-lockout days.

*Disclaimer because everyone reads everything completely wrong and takes any discussion to the fullest extreme, no where in this thread have I said I want to trade David Krejci*

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
2 Options: Keep Krejci, or trade him for equivlant winger.

Lucic Krejci Ericksson
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Spooner Soderberg Fraser
Paille Campbell Florek

or

Marchand Bergeron Smith
Lucic Soderberg Ryan
Fraser Spooner Ericksson
Paille Campbell Florek

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
2 Options: Keep Krejci, or trade him for equivlant winger.

Lucic Krejci Ericksson
Marchand Bergeron Smith
Spooner Soderberg Fraser
Paille Campbell Florek

or

Marchand Bergeron Smith
Lucic Soderberg Ryan
Fraser Spooner Ericksson
Paille Campbell Florek

That assumes that Bobby Ryan is equivalent to Krejci which I don't agree with at all.

There are a handful of wingers out there with comparable value to Krejci but off the top of my head most of them wouldn't be a fit here because of a variety of reasons (money, age, character, lack of availability)

doc5hole

Nov 30, 2003
www.southcoasttoday.com
Paille goes into the top nine in any scenario for me. A reinvention that leaves him on the fourth line at this point, might as well trade him now with a year left on a deal when he most certainly would leave the org. IMO his timely playoff contributions and good citizenship on the fourth line made him deserving of an extension and position at 3LW.

That, and do the Bruins really want to keep shedding their faster forwards?

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Just a few points on our line up as I see it.

Sodaberg has to play center based on how much better he showed at that position last year.

Lucic has to stay on the top line as opposed to the third line based on his impact and on his salary. Although I don't necessarily think he has top line skills.

Can Campbell play 4th line RW in an effort to get Spooner or Khoko playing center?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I wonder how Krejci, Loui, and Soderberg would look on a line together. Move Lucic to the 3rd so he can get back to punishing opponents. I miss those days.

and if the goal totals drop because of it, fans here would scream for CJ`s head for making such a move:laugh:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
That assumes that Bobby Ryan is equivalent to Krejci which I don't agree with at all.

There are a handful of wingers out there with comparable value to Krejci but off the top of my head most of them wouldn't be a fit here because of a variety of reasons (money, age, character, lack of availability)

Ryan is of similar age. Both are set to be UFA's after this season. Ryan is a steady 30 goal scorer. I'd say he is the equivalent of Krejci.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
When Krejci signs his extension he will get a NMC as an enticement to sign early and take less and I bet 20% still have him being traded. The question is how much and how long. I can see similar to Stastny's deal with St Louis

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
When Krejci signs his extension he will get a NMC as an enticement to sign early and take less and I bet 20% still have him being traded. The question is how much and how long. I can see similar to Stastny's deal with St Louis

You really think that Krejci will take less... I don't think the Bruins will offer him more then the 6.5per that Bergeron will make. It's simple as that.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
You really think that Krejci will take less... I don't think the Bruins will offer him more then the 6.5per that Bergeron will make. It's simple as that.

I think Krejci takes a hometown discount at a minimum of 7.5 million per and Chiarelli will be fine with that number. Like it or not, Kane and Toews changed the market.

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
I think Krejci takes a hometown discount at a minimum of 7.5 million per and Chiarelli will be fine with that number. Like it or not, Kane and Toews changed the market.

Krejci is not a 7.5per player. Bruins don't have that luxuary.

Central Scrutinizer

Lord of Song
Jan 6, 2010
montreal
I wouldn't move Krejci unless the Bruins get a player that may be an upgrade.

Avs are having a hard time re-signing O'Reilly(again). O'Reilly is 23 years old, scored 26 goals last year. He will probably want a long term deal at over 6M per. Krejci will want the same.

Moving Krejci,Spooner may be enough to get this done.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
When we traded Seguin we decided Krejci was going to be our #1C (or #1A or whatever). Unless he is asking for some ridiculous price, he will continue to be our #1C.

I know he had a crappy playoffs. Like...really crappy. As in the entire ice smelled like his ****. But is everyone forgetting he has led playoffs in scoring twice and both times we went to the SCF? He had a bad year but so did most of our roster He has given us more than enough reason to have faith in him. His linemates didn't look so hot either this year.

I love Soda, I do, and his contract is unreal and should be utilized and milked for all its worth until it runs out, but I think picking Soda over Krejci is a bad decision. Leading playoff scoring twice is something that doesn't come around everyday. And Soderberg, although very good in the closing of the Montreal series, has not been overly impressive for the playoffs overall. I think we use him for the rest of the year and if he wants to take a discount and stay here, great, but if not he can get a great contract elsewhere with more minutes and I'll be happy for him. By the 2015-2016 season I would hope Spooner would be ready to take on 3rd line minutes, especially if he does get to center the fourth line this season which Chia has been hinting at.

Obviously though, we have cap struggles, so if Krejci comes in asking for more than 7.5/8, I would understand letting him walk. But shuffling our roster a little to make room for Krejci's extension is something the Bruins should be 100% willing to do. And I think they are. I would be very surprised/disappointed to see Krejci used a trade chip. I don't think he can be replaced with what would be offered/what we have.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
When we traded Seguin we decided Krejci was going to be our #1C (or #1A or whatever). Unless he is asking for some ridiculous price, he will continue to be our #1C.

I know he had a crappy playoffs. Like...really crappy. As in the entire ice smelled like his ****. But is everyone forgetting he has led playoffs in scoring twice and both times we went to the SCF? He had a bad year but so did most of our roster He has given us more than enough reason to have faith in him. His linemates didn't look so hot either this year.

I love Soda, I do, and his contract is unreal and should be utilized and milked for all its worth until it runs out, but I think picking Soda over Krejci is a bad decision. Leading playoff scoring twice is something that doesn't come around everyday. And Soderberg, although very good in the closing of the Montreal series, has not been overly impressive for the playoffs overall. I think we use him for the rest of the year and if he wants to take a discount and stay here, great, but if not he can get a great contract elsewhere with more minutes and I'll be happy for him. By the 2015-2016 season I would hope Spooner would be ready to take on 3rd line minutes, especially if he does get to center the fourth line this season which Chia has been hinting at.

Obviously though, we have cap struggles, so if Krejci comes in asking for more than 7.5/8, I would understand letting him walk. But shuffling our roster a little to make room for Krejci's extension is something the Bruins should be 100% willing to do. And I think they are. I would be very surprised/disappointed to see Krejci used a trade chip. I don't think he can be replaced with what would be offered/what we have.

I see no way Chia allows Krejci to "walk". He`ll do what he does with those he and the powers that be have often done with their core, try and lock em up well before any of the hounds come sniffing around in the summer.

Really don`t recall any other core player not being re-upped fairly early other than Marchand a few years back and I didn`t feel one bit of anxiety surrounding whether or not he was going to get done. I`ll wager DK gets his, and gets it around or shortly after Christmas

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

This same scenario came up last time and Krejci got more than Bergeron and there was all sorts of threads on it. They are certainly going to make every attempt to keep him and unless he has a change of heart like Horton he's going to be here another 5 years.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
This same scenario came up last time and Krejci got more than Bergeron and there was all sorts of threads on it. They are certainly going to make every attempt to keep him and unless he has a change of heart like Horton he's going to be here another 5 years.

Agreed. It's tough to argue what two players are worth two seasons apart as the UFA market is fluid. You can say Krejci shouldn't get more than Bergeron and I'd agree but I'd also argue Krejci is a better player than Statsny and look what he got!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad