Time to start questioning Colorado?

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Is that why they blew a 2-0 lead in game 5 and then lost 6-3 in game 6? You can't be serious, man.
Because the better team doesn't always win the game? Colorado won game 2 despite getting outplayed. Did you even watch the games?

Why are you even here, you team got sent home packing last month in a sweep where not one game made it to OT, pathetic.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Because the better team doesn't always win the game? Colorado won game 2 despite getting outplayed. Did you even watch the games?

Why are you even here, you team got sent home packing last month in a sweep where not one game made it to OT, pathetic.

I watched all the games, and it's unreal how you guys still think the Avs are better than Vegas after losing 4 straight. And hey, congrats on beating a disorganized, unprepared, unmotivated, injury/covid riddled Blues team in need of a retool/rebuild soon after winning a cup recently.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I watched all the games, and it's unreal how you guys still think the Avs are better than Vegas after losing 4 straight. And hey, congrats on beating a disorganized, unprepared, unmotivated, injury/covid riddled Blues team in need of a retool/rebuild soon after winning a cup recently.
That's a lot of words to say your team is bad.

Not sure how you can't see Colorado outplayed Vegas in game 5. I'm not afraid to admit they were caved in in games 2,3 and 4.

HockeyWooot

Jan 28, 2020
They’ll be in the mix again for many years, they just need to make some tweaks in a few areas I reckon.

Shutdown/matchup C. A hard to play against center going against opponents top lines would be huge.

Middle 6 depth- Kadri would have helped, though the outcome may have been similar. excluding Saad not enough reliable production from depth forwards in the playoffs. Burakowsky while talented is probably too streaky and too soft to rely on. The Avs are a bit top heavy.

Top-4 d. the much discussed D Corps probably needs a tweak.Girard who was a breakout player this year who had a rough go these series.

Lots of skill on the blueline in terms of skating, puck movement and transition but maybe a bit too much of the same playstyle if that makes sense?

They probably need a top-4 quality Dman who brings a bit more size and strength who can make it harder for the opposition to get to prime areas without paying a price (eg Cernak, Savard, Edmunson types).

It’s not about valuing size over skill, but recognized for the need for both and balance between the two. Someone who will compliment the smaller skilled defenders.

All fixable areas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paranoid Android

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
That's a lot of words to say your team is bad.

We don't really care because we won the cup. You guys should try respecting other team's fanbases and avoid talking so much after getting bounced in the second round every year. Colorado is basically Toronto 2.0.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
We don't really care because we won the cup. You guys should try respecting other team's fanbases and avoid talking so much after getting kicked in the second round every year. Colorado is basically Toronto 2.0.
Lol Toronto hasn't won a series in like 13 years. Colorado made it to the second round 3 years straight. How many teams in the past 3 years made the 2nd round every season? Call it the second round but in reality it's a series between the top two teams in the league.

The cup is in the past, how long are you going to cling into that? You don't even have the same team anymore. You let your captain walk and Tarasenko is a shell of his former self.

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyWooot

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
There's a difference between saying a team was not totally outclassed, and saying they were the better team. Vegas were the better team, there's no questioning that. Were the Colorady totally on the ropes against them in this series? No.

The important thing is not to overcorrect. Tampa didn't fire Cooper and blow up their core after they got swept by CBJ. They shuffled some pieces around, and went for it again. And they won. It's not like Colorado is in the same position as Toronto, with them vastly underperforming year in and year out in the playoffs.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You're much worst if you're a team like the Oilers.

You get swept in the first round by a team that gets swept in the second, by a team that will get swept in the 3rd by a team who will get swept in the final.

Hockey gods are cruel.

The Oilers are still handcuffed by Peter Chiarelli's stupidity, they haven't had cap room to make any major changes and as such don't have much depth. They will have some cap flexibility for the first time this summer.

The Leafs were up 3-1 and Matthews/Marner got enough support from Nylander/Kerfoot/Spezza/Campbell, etc. to win that series, their big 2 just didn't show up for that series.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
There's a difference between saying a team was not totally outclassed, and saying they were the better team. Vegas were the better team, there's no questioning that. Were the Colorady totally on the ropes against them in this series? No.

The important thing is not to overcorrect. Tampa didn't fire Cooper and blow up their core after they got swept by CBJ. They shuffled some pieces around, and went for it again. And they won. It's not like Colorado is in the same position as Toronto, with them vastly underperforming year in and year out in the playoffs.
He's just mad his pathetic team embarrassed themselves in the playoffs. At least Edmonton could say those OT game could've gone either way. St Louis didn't even belong on the same ice surface.

Reactions: tucker3434

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I’m going to go out on a limb and say it helps when your 2C is actually playing and the coach plays Bowen Byram over Patrick Nemeth.

Let’s calm down on ‘fixing’ the Avs. Cale Makar isn’t even in his prime yet.

The Avs will be be fine. I would worry if they lose Grubauer in free agency though. They really don’t have a solid backup option.
Using the #2C thing as an excuse is a cop out. It's not exactly a surprise that he wouldn't be playing and the decision to add him needs to be questioned.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Bro, you guys got dominated by Vegas. Lost 4 straight including 6-3 tonight. Just admit it.

Vegas had 23 shots last night. That's not a dominating performance. You saw what you wanted to see, because you're bitter. You've been waiting to make these posts for two weeks and were going to make them regardless.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Caps went nearly a decade without getting past the second round and finally broke through. Sometimes you need to tinker with the team or just let them grow.

At this point they still have Mack at a steal for another 2 years so I'd say wait until 2023 to question them. In the next two years they will get the likes of Byram joining the team full time and probably have cap space to add for a couple playoff runs.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
There isn't much to worry about with this Avs team. They were beat by a better team this series.

Unfortunately a few guys on the Avs were heavily exposed and those few just happened to be on defense. I felt Graves was very weak and Girard was heavily exposed.

I thought VGKs 4th line was outstanding and defensively VGK was a better team. They knew how to shut down Avs after that game 1.

I don't think Avs need to do too much at all... its strange to say cause I always thought that Avs d core was the cream of the crop across the league but I feel they need to address it. Makar obviously is going nowhere and Toews I feel is awesome, but after that top 2, I'd look at changes possibly. Sure, in the regular season they will all do their thing, but playoff wise it wasn't good and IMO they can't risk another heart break next season rolling with the same dmen.

I hated that these 2 teams had to play each other now cause it would have been a unreal series in the final 4. I love both teams but VGK was just alot better

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Bro, you guys got dominated by Vegas. Lost 4 straight including 6-3 tonight. Just admit it.
Avs got dominated in game 2 but managed to win. They could've won game 3 if they were able to hold a lead but yeah were dominated. Again in game 4 where they lost badly. I think Avs played better in game 6 despite the score (one empty netter) but Grubauer decided to sh** the bed and was totally outplayed by Fleury who made the save that Grubs should've made. Defense was also terrible with so many turnovers. Either way this was very winnable IMO but the Avs shoot themselves in the foot in game 5 that decided the outcome last night.

If the Avs won game 5 where they completely dominated that game who knows what would've happened in game 6 and 7 but Bura and Graves decided to gift Vegas that win. Sadly can't live in the "What if" world and accept that Vegas was just superior.

Reactions: HockeyWooot

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Things you can count on:

Sun rising
Sun setting
Death
Taxes
Fans of losing hockey team: "they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves"

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
Things you can count on:

Sun rising
Sun setting
Death
Taxes

Are people really making that argument in this thread? I see a lot of posters giving credit to Vegas for simply being the better team. Colorado made a considerable number of errors in the series, but you have to credit Vegas with forcing those errors.

Ms Maggie

Apr 11, 2017
Are people really making that argument in this thread? I see a lot of posters giving credit to Vegas for simply being the better team. Colorado made a considerable number of errors in the series, but you have to credit Vegas with forcing those errors.
See the post immediately before mine. But you are right, more of this sentiment on other threads.

I've never understood the trashing of team that just beat mine. Does it make me feel better that my team lost to a lesser team?

Avs will be good for a long time IMO

Reactions: Goulet17

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I don't think Avs need to do too much at all... its strange to say cause I always thought that Avs d core was the cream of the crop across the league but I feel they need to address it. Makar obviously is going nowhere and Toews I feel is awesome, but after that top 2, I'd look at changes possibly. Sure, in the regular season they will all do their thing, but playoff wise it wasn't good and IMO they can't risk another heart break next season rolling with the same dmen.

Thank god they drafted the best defenseman in the 2019 draft. If only he didn't get injured and when he finally got healthy Bednar was afraid to play him over Nemeth.

Byram was awesome in the regular season and it's a shame he didn't get to play more due to a concussion from a questionable hit from.... vegas.

StumpyTown

Sep 26, 2016
The Avalanche fall into the same category as the Jets and every other team in NHL history in this scenario. No team in NHL history has won a series after sweeping the previous round and playing an opponent who won in 7 games in the previous round. A pretty obscure statistic, but I believe it's happened more than 10 times now.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
They have been a great team but this was really one of their best years to win it all.

They have a number of big contracts to sign this summer and will likely loose some good depth due to it and the expansion draft. They have a couple of good prospects that can hopefully step in and contribute right away to mitigate that to some extent but imo this was their best shot.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
2nsxir.jpg

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
I picked Vegas to make the finals this season so can't blame Colorado for losing to them. Vegas is an excellent team.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Landeskog will soon be 29 and needs a nice big new contract this summer. Makar just used up all his precious ELC years. They don't have a goalie, and certainly not a no doubt #1 who can carry a team if need be.

Windows have a way of closing quicker than you think in the hard cap world. Not that the Avs can't win, but their equation changes.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Things you can count on:

Sun rising
Sun setting
Death
Taxes
I think this is an unfair comment. The majority of Avs fans are simply giving credit for Vegas being better while also still being proud of how the Avs played. I think it was a great series by both teams and the better team took advantage of their opportunities and got the job done as great teams do.

This isn’t like when Colorado barely let Dallas touch the puck last year and still lost after just a lot of unfortunate events. This is a great hockey team getting beaten by an even greater hockey team.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Landeskog will soon be 29 and needs a nice big new contract this summer. Makar just used up all his precious ELC years. They don't have a goalie, and certainly not a no doubt #1 who can carry a team if need be.

Windows have a way of closing quicker than you think in the hard cap world. Not that the Avs can't win, but their equation changes.
They can essentially bring back every single player on this years roster if they wish. There’s salary cap issues if they go look to add more big pieces but the Avs can lock up all the players they wish to bring back all while their youth (which is high end) works their way in.

This isn’t like when Chicago had to sell off all their pieces they couldn’t afford. They can’t exactly go shopping for shiny new toys but they won’t have to lose anyone they don’t want to. I’m curious if they get creative and try to acquire a Merzlikins/Kuemper instead of giving Grubauer his worth and that would allow them to have some more fun with additions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad