Time to start questioning Colorado?

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
I'd say they are still trending in the right direction. You have to remember they missed Kadri all series as well. You've got MacKinnon who specifically took a pay cut to keep the team together in the past and claims he'll do it in the future. They were an overtime goal away from being up 3-2. Fleury made a huge save 10 seconds into overtime in Game 5. I think they could use some more meat on the back end. That's about it. Makar is incredible. How is it possible that guy is only in his 2nd year?
No he didnt. He was coming off of 50 point seasons, thats all he could get lmao

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
well if you say they havent gotten close try last season forcing game 7 overtime against the sc finalists with a injury plagued roster, 3. or 4. goalie in net etc
thats not even half way. whats your definition of close? even the Oilers made it that far in 2017 and were a joke

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
As an Avs fan I’ve complained and reasoned about their elimination 2 years in a row prior this one. This year though I’m actually completely fine with how they played. They struggled to adapt on the road in games 3 and 4 but aside from that I thought they played a hell of a series as a team. There are certainly some bonehead individual players i’m quite angry with but as a whole I feel they played great hockey but lost to a team who played greater hockey.

Congrats Vegas.

Reactions: Crossfire Hurricane

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Three straight years not getting by the second round. Great regular season, but undoubtedly were a playoff disappointment this year. Forget about not winning the Stanley Cup the last few years, how about winning two rounds? They haven’t even gotten close. Shouldn’t we expect more of the best team in the league during the regular season and the fastest rising team in the league?

Or should we wait another season or two before the pressure starts to elevate?
Comparing all MacK “era” appearances is like comparing Ovi’s Mike Green/Jeff Schultz sub-“era” to his Oates to his Hunter to his Trotz eras

I would consider this years team an improvement on last years, and these two years pretty solidly over three years ago

in any case, most of their d group, including almost all of the important ones are young as shit by NHL standards. Most teams lose every year, including these Knights who’ve had their own heartbreaks and shortcomings in the past

they’re being built and were tanked more by bad luck than anything last post season. There’s no way I’m doubting this team as good as they were over 56 games (+ last season and last postseason)

they’re not going to be the best team every year but they were legitimately a top team this year and likely will be top 10 at the absolute worst, which means a team is pretty damn good when you can gurantee that (considering teams drop in and out of the top ten fairly regularly)

I’d feel safe assuming top 5 next season if they manage to keep/acquire their goalie, and they’ll be more experienced and hopefully ready to “prove the doubters wrong” as we’ve seen the Caps and current Bolts do in the last few years

hopefully they move Kadri

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
There's nothing wrong with Colorado.

30 teams don't win the Cup and sometimes the other guys just had a better series.

No leadership, no resiliency, no depth, soft defense, bad goaltending, etc. They rely too much on individual, highlight-reel plays. They need to build a TEAM. Not a top line. Not a top powerplay unit. A TEAM.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
This is what people say about every team except the one that wins the Cups.

The Blues were soft chokers until all of a sudden they weren't.

No, they were pretenders until they added the necessary pieces to become a contender. You don't even follow the Blues so why challenge a fan who does?

CamPopplestone

Sep 27, 2017
I wonder if Bednar is the coach to take them there. Especially with this roster construction.

This team feels like the Pens from 5 years ago to me in a lot of ways, fast, high skilled, lots of offense from the blue line. Just wonder if they need a coach that can work with that in the playoffs better

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Because you're wrong

No, I'm not and most Colorado fans would probably agree with me. This series is a sobering moment for their group, and there are a lot of improvements that they need because they won't get past the 2nd round unless they build more structure rather than relying on neutral zone rushes and highlight-reel plays.

Reactions: Buffalo Preds

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
And the Lightning.

It's almost as if this gets said about every team that doesn't win the Cup and then some of them do!

It's as if teams learn from their experiences and improve before they win a cup rather than winning on the first try. I don't know why that's so hard to believe.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
No, I'm not and most Colorado fans would probably agree with me. This series is a sobering moment for their group, and there are a lot of improvements that they need because they won't get past the 2nd round unless they build more structure rather than relying on neutral zone rushes and highlight-reel plays.
Yeah nobody ever won the Cup being a rush team that relied on skill.

:hawks:hawks:hawks:pens:pens

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
It's as if teams learn from their experiences and improve before they win a cup rather than winning on the first try. I don't know why that's so hard to believe.
We're not talking about improving.

We're talking about either the team being mentally weak or built at its core to fail.

That gets said about every good team that doesn't win it and has been proven wrong many times.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Yeah nobody ever won the Cup being a rush team that relied on skill.

:hawks:hawks:hawks:pens:pens

Those teams either had good defense and/or goaltending. Let's pretend that Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Oduya weren't good before.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
We're not talking about improving.

We're talking about either the team being mentally weak or built at its core to fail.

That gets said about every good team that doesn't win it and has been proven wrong many times.

You have too simplistic of a perspective. Their core group is very dynamic, but they need more depth, more veteran leadership, a stronger D core, and a better goaltender. If they had all those things, they probably win the cup.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Those teams either had good defense and/or goaltending. Let's pretend that Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook, Hjalmarsson, and Oduya weren't good before.
The Avs have a great defense corps including one of the brightest young talents in the league.

Why is is so hard for you believe that sometimes teams just lose? Why are we always looking for a fatal flaw?

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Colorado doesn’t have good defense? Most consider it one of the best d corps in the league and they are statistically the youngest too.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I mean Jesus Christmas, you're inherently flawed and have several needs if you lose to Vegas?

Who's lining up to beat Vegas?

Reactions: LOFIN

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
The Avs have a great defense corps including one of the brightest young talents in the league.

Why is is so hard for you believe that sometimes teams just lose? Why are we always looking for a fatal flaw?

Did you not watch the series? Girard was man-handled and exposed. Ryan Graves made lots of rookie mistakes. Their bottom pairing was absent. They need improvement.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
They are very close, A bit more depth and they will get that final push

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad