Time to start questioning Colorado?

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
They can essentially bring back every single player on this years roster if they wish. There’s salary cap issues if they go look to add more big pieces but the Avs can lock up all the players they wish to bring back all while their youth (which is high end) works their way in.

This isn’t like when Chicago had to sell off all their pieces they couldn’t afford. They can’t exactly go shopping for shiny new toys but they won’t have to lose anyone they don’t want to. I’m curious if they get creative and try to acquire a Merzlikins/Kuemper instead of giving Grubauer his worth and that would allow them to have some more fun with additions.

It's also not like Chicago because they didn't win the Cup.

It's nice that the Avs can bring back a team that lost in the 2nd rd, but they probably don't want to do that. Still, Landeskog isn't getting younger, Makar isn't getting cheaper, and the goalies aren't getting better.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Things you can count on:

Sun rising
Sun setting
Death
Taxes
Fans of losing hockey team: "they didn't beat us, we beat ourselves"
Forgot to give credit to Vegas because as @Goulet17 said Vegas did force those errors. They executed their plan perfectly to smother our defense and expose them which led to terrible clears and turnovers. I said we shot ourselves in the foot meaning in game 5 Graves basically handed that win to Vegas shooting right in the shin pads with 7-8 players in front of him. Before that Burakovsky passing in the middle of the ice while there’s a stick right there I mean come on. Also Vegas did so well on their side with their dman doing great pinching and finding lanes I think that was a key difference. Graves pinching in on a 2-1 lead made Vegas tie the game. I’m all for trying to increase the lead but guys like Nemeth and Graves should be the last to pinch in.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
They can essentially bring back every single player on this years roster if they wish. There’s salary cap issues if they go look to add more big pieces but the Avs can lock up all the players they wish to bring back all while their youth (which is high end) works their way in.

This isn’t like when Chicago had to sell off all their pieces they couldn’t afford. They can’t exactly go shopping for shiny new toys but they won’t have to lose anyone they don’t want to. I’m curious if they get creative and try to acquire a Merzlikins/Kuemper instead of giving Grubauer his worth and that would allow them to have some more fun with additions.
Bad comparison, the Hawks were Champs when they had to trade away pieces for cap reasons. The Avs can't get out of the second round. They are looking like a team that puts up crazy totals against bad competition but once it whittles down to the cream of the crop, can't beat good teams over a Seven Game Series.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Bad comparison, the Hawks were Champs when they had to trade away pieces for cap reasons. The Avs can't get out of the second round. They are looking like a team that puts up crazy totals against bad competition but once it whittles down to the cream of the crop, can't beat good teams over a Seven Game Series.
What are you even talking about. I never compared to them to Chicago regarding success, play style or anything of that nature. I’m saying they aren’t in the cap trouble a team like Chicago is and they don’t have to lose anybody from their roster.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
It's also not like Chicago because they didn't win the Cup.

It's nice that the Avs can bring back a team that lost in the 2nd rd, but they probably don't want to do that. Still, Landeskog isn't getting younger, Makar isn't getting cheaper, and the goalies aren't getting better.
I didn’t compare them to Chicago as a product on the ice. I used them as an example as they had to trade off pieces because of the cap. I’m simply explaining Colorado don’t have to do that and they aren’t (at least not yet) in cap trouble.

Also, you don’t think if Colorado came back with this exact team next years they couldn’t improve? Makar and Timmins are all 22. Girard turned 22 a month ago. Byram and Newhook are teenagers. Sakic as always will certainly make some upgrades but it also wouldn’t be the end of the world if this top 5 NHL team with all that youth came back as is.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Forget about not winning the Stanley Cup the last few years, how about winning two rounds? They haven’t even gotten close. Shouldn’t we expect more of the best team in the league during the regular season and the fastest rising team in the league?

I don't know man, i would say having a lead in Game 7 against Dallas with 4 minutes left in the game is pretty darn close if you ask me. They also played in a Game 7 against a much superior SJ team few years ago in a season where they should've missed the playoffs.

I think we should expect more out of HF posters ;)

Anyway, there are obviously some tweaks this team could use to become more reliable in playoff style hockey but the process has been great overall even if it doesn't feel like it right now.

Those tweaks don't have to be anything super big. I mean, maybe some added heaviness here and there, 2C who actually plays games and perhaps swap a dman but those things can all be accomplished.

I think that losses can be just as valuable as wins in terms of experience as long as there's a valuable lesson learned. Really all 3 prior playoff losses have something to draw from. SJ series proved they can compete, Dallas series was good for resiliency to show yourself you're never out of it and this Vegas series was a good example what happens when you aren't dialed in mentally against a great team for the whole series.

People seem to expect the moon so quickly these days. I guess it may feel like the Avs have been in the hunt for years, but realistically it's been 2 years now where they can expect to win. That's not a long time.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
What are you even talking about. I never compared to them to Chicago regarding success, play style or anything of that nature. I’m saying they aren’t in the cap trouble a team like Chicago is and they don’t have to lose anybody from their roster.
the point is "just run it back" doesn't make as much sense due to the results, they need to figure out what they gotta do to get over the hump while they still have players on good contracts. It's not a cap thing as much as it is a restructuring the roster thing

bland

Jul 1, 2004
They built up and plateaued. Now is the time for the hardest part for fans - time to make the deal that costs them a homegrown young favorite for the missing pieces, which are going to be older and more expensive than they want.

Shit or get off the pot, Sakic. It's time to take a calculated risk to break through.

Habano

Allez les Bleus, (Blancs, Rouges)
May 18, 2012
I wouldn't question anything yet. They are an elite team. Maybe an upgrade in goal but as far as the rest of the team, they can still play with anyone.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
The Avs roster is still one of the youngest in the NHL. We only had 2 defensemen in this series (Nemeth and Girard) with more than 200 career NHL games. Pietrangelo has more playoff games on his resume than Makar has regular season games. There's no reason to panic and do anything stupid. We've got the next 8-10 years to win Cups.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Yeah, I think it’s fair to question them until they win. Fine by me.

Ultimately, they didn’t get it done. There’s a lot of reasons for that, but the only thing that matters is they lost.

Anyone who thinks they’re going to fall flat next season and not be a contender is going to be disappointed though. They’re a damn good team and as long as they remain committed to improving in the off-season they’ll come back strong.

apollo18

Oct 20, 2018
tbh ive been saying this forever and everyone thought i was on crack. avs have always been overrated

first line - insane probably best in league
2nd line - when kadri is in easily a 2b line, not really that strong of wingers tbh
cant comment on 3rd or 4th should be good enough

now the defenseman
1. makar - probably a 1d imo, good offesnvily and decent defensively
2. girard insanely over rated, maybe a 1d in the offenseive end but no way a good defenseman in his own end. hes more top a top 3/4 d
3. toews pretty solid d, probably there best defenseman
4. graves not sure cant comment

goalie
1. grubauer, not a true 1 g always gonna have doubts with goaltending

theres just too many holes for this team to be a cup winner like everyone thinks they are. in a few years i completely agree they will be good, byram will solidify the d

now compare this team to someone like tampa
tampa has a legit 1st and 2nd line and a legit force of top 4 d with a vezina contendor - now this is a REAL cup contendor

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Avs roster is still one of the youngest in the NHL. We only had 2 defensemen in this series (Nemeth and Girard) with more than 200 career NHL games. Pietrangelo has more playoff games on his resume than Makar has regular season games. There's no reason to panic and do anything stupid. We've got the next 8-10 years to win Cups.
Dunno about that. The cap will start claiming victims soon.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
One thing they need to do is trade Kadri to the KHL for a months supply of Borsht and vodka.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I realize, but with bridges gone, it only lasts 3 years before it jumps exponentially.

And then you trade the guys who are too expensive for a bunch of picks/prospects, and reload with guys on ELCs again. What do you think the Avs could get for Toews in 2 years, assuming Byram earns a big 2nd contract?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
And then you trade the guys who are too expensive for a bunch of picks/prospects, and reload with guys on ELCs again. What do you think the Avs could get for Toews in 2 years, assuming Byram earns a big 2nd contract?

I mean...yeah, that's idea anyway. It can be harder than it sounds as well all know, especially when a GM senses he needs to continuously upgrade in off-seasons and deadlines, but that's the cyclical part of the league.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
I mean...yeah, that's idea anyway. It can be harder than it sounds as well all know, especially when a GM senses he needs to continuously upgrade in off-seasons and deadlines, but that's the cyclical part of the league.

Yes, but teams like Chicago and Pittsburgh have succeeded with this strategy, so it's not impossible. And, Sakic has done a really good job of building the team without signing stupid UFA contracts or overpaying for rentals, so I'm still hopeful.

DrewGl

Jul 28, 2018
Alexandria, VA
One team is going to win the Cup. The Avs window is still very much open. The whole "what do they do next" for every fing team that loses in the playoffs is dumb.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Would it have shocked anyone if Colorado won the Cup this year? No way. They could have had Kadri and that would have given them more depth.

I am thinking they are possibly a stay at home defenseman away from winning a Cup. Honestly, the Vegas series was basically the winner making it to the Cup final with Montreal the only apparent obstacle. So honestly, when two teams with the most amount of points in the NHL go at one another, someone is losing.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
Oh wow Colorado lost to a team with the same amount of points as them at the top of the league in the second round. Ohhhh nooo the world is on fire….

colorado although disappointing has positioned themselves to be a giant moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->