Time to start questioning Colorado?

KBobs

Dec 26, 2013
Canada
I haven't seen anyone mention it, which is pretty surprising, but they were without Erik Johnson, who in past years was the team's best shutdown D. He's been banged up for months and it's the playoffs where they really missed him. They needed a big, competent, stabilizing veteran presence there to shelter someone like Girard (who is his normal partner). Suddenly a guy like Nemeth who was terrible all series isn't playing then. And yeah, the second line centre thing is a big problem.

Reactions: I am not exposed

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Did you even watch the series? Or were you on your calculator because it's pretty obvious who the better team was after game 1.

Did you? Or have you just been stewing over the blues sweep for two weeks?

We got beat. Vegas is fully deserving, and I’m not saying otherwise. But after the series evened you at 2-2, it was good hockey on both sides. It’s rare that you outshoot you opponent by an average of 7.5 shots and are clearly the worse team. But some days you just lose those.

Reactions: definedMF

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Problem was not having Kadri, If I were the Av's if the offseason, They need to look for another 2c. Kadri is just unreliable for a cup contender team. If they have a legit 2c in the lineup they more then likely win game 5.

I completely agree with moving on from Kadri. I doubt Sakic does it though.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Did you? Or have you just been stewing over the blues sweep for two weeks?

We got beat. Vegas is fully deserving, and I’m not saying otherwise. But after the series evened you at 2-2, it was good hockey on both sides. It’s rare that you outshoot you opponent by an average of 7.5 shots and are clearly the worse team. But some days you just lose those.

Bro, you guys got dominated by Vegas. Lost 4 straight including 6-3 tonight. Just admit it.

Reactions: User9992

DuckyGirard

May 23, 2021
I’d give them 1 more year to try. Toronto hasn’t gotten out of the 1st round in 5 years lol
You're much worst if you're a team like the Oilers.

You get swept in the first round by a team that gets swept in the second, by a team that will get swept in the 3rd by a team who will get swept in the final.

Hockey gods are cruel.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
For me there are only two real concerns that I have.

First is Girard. He didn't play well, especially in the final couple of games...I'm willing to give him more time, he's still a guy that just turned 23. Plus he's on a fantastic contract. Also he played the entire playoffs on his off-hand because Gravy sucks.

Second is Erik Johnson. Have to get rid of that contract.

For players that I was unhappy with, most of them are gone over the next couple of years....

Kadri was always a couple-year stopgap. I'm not happy with his stupidity, but he's only got one more year.

Nemeth was horrible but he's gone.

Burakovsky is a solid goal scorer but should be moved on from after next season

Graves sucks, but you can limit his minutes and he shouldn't hurt you too much. Would be nice to see if the Avs can throw in a sweetener to get Seattle to take him.

The Avs are still putting together an outrageously stacked young defense. Assuming that the Avs get rid of Johnson's contract, their D for next year. Current ages in parens:

Toews(27)-Makar(22)
Girard(23)-Graves(26)
Byram(19)-Timmins(22)

That's a very young group that is just going to keep getting better. Yea Graves sucks, but you can try to hide him...Girard was also incredible during the regular season. Girard-Graves might have to be a bottom pairing in the playoffs, idk.

Forwards may have to re-shuffle a bit, but I'm just not that concerned. Hockey is hard game and very very good teams fail to win cups.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Nazem Kadri costs them the series which shouldn't surprise anybody because that's what Nazem Kadri does and now this thread exists

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I haven't seen anyone mention it, which is pretty surprising, but they were without Erik Johnson, who in past years was the team's best shutdown D. He's been banged up for months and it's the playoffs where they really missed him. They needed a big, competent, stabilizing veteran presence there to shelter someone like Girard (who is his normal partner). Suddenly a guy like Nemeth who was terrible all series isn't playing then. And yeah, the second line centre thing is a big problem.
You know you’re scraping deep when you start brining up Erik Johnson

Reactions: Moosehead1

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
Losing Kadri was a huge blow to them. Screwed up their depth chart.

I strongly disagree, I think they played well even without him. VGK were just a tad more focused, and when you push all responsibility to Grubauer only there is a good chance he will lose the game vs. a hall of fame bound playoff goalie.

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
Losing Kadri was a huge blow to them. Screwed up their depth chart.

This. 100% this.

Kadri was absolutely missed in that lineup. Say what you want about the guy, but he's an absolute spark plug for that team.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Questions were asked (rightfully so) about Tampa also after the sweep. I'm confident in the core Colorado has. It's not losing to Vegas was this huge underachievement.

Reactions: Moosehead1

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I swear the Golden Knights are rigged. Reaves getting two games and Kadri getting a series-long suspension?

Used to think Boston's team was Bettman's team, but I think now Bettman is hard for the Golden Knights.

With that being said Colorado is still the one of the best teams in the league, I expect within next season they'll win a cup.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Time to double down in their defense. Get rid of guys like Graves and Nemeth who clearly can’t play the system they want.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad