Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
Kaprizov in the Calder race:

Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
Saw the jump in his game after the goal

What a gem

There are moments where he looks like best player on the ice, and he knows it. I think as soon as next season he starts to consistently put in shifts where the shift revolves around him. Right now we see it in glimpses.

Reactions: Emrasie

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
This season is perfect in many ways as a breeding ground for the young guys. 56 games, not an 82 game grind. Very little travel. This is going to do wonders for these guys next year. Can't remember last time someone would shoot and score like that in Ottawa. My son and I look at each other and say "what the hell was that shot?" Incredible

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This season is perfect in many ways as a breeding ground for the young guys. 56 games, not an 82 game grind. Very little travel. This is going to do wonders for these guys next year. Can't remember last time someone would shoot and score like that in Ottawa. My son and I look at each other and say "what the hell was that shot?" Incredible

I disagree, 56 games in a compressed season mean few practices or time to work out issues. Injuries will likely be more common too. I think a typical season would have made for a better environment to learn.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I disagree, 56 games in a compressed season mean few practices or time to work out issues. Injuries will likely be more common too. I think a typical season would have made for a better environment to learn.
Yeah, I can certainly see that aspect of it, but 24 less games, and heck of a lot less travel kind of games them a 50% reveal to what an actual NHL season is

Dan Patrick

Mar 11, 2020
Super excited to see where all his talent takes him in the next couple of years. Very curious if he is able to dominate like he shows flashes of now when he inevitably gets played at centre next year.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I wanted him in Ottawa for greedy purposes, i knew he'd be fun to watch and give people a reason to tune into games.

With a top guy like him who will get a big 2nd contract there is real value to sliding the ELC, so there is absolutely no crow eating to be done by anyone who wanted him to play in Germany, only for those that didn't think he was ready for the NHL game.

I wonder though if these kinds of tactics can sour a relationship. Guys who are ready want to get paid, and holding them back a whole year of NHL pay for financial reasons seems a bit underhanded.

Definitely a fine line to walk.

Reactions: NB613 and El Diego

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
I wonder though if these kinds of tactics can sour a relationship. Guys who are ready want to get paid, and holding them back a whole year of NHL pay for financial reasons seems a bit underhanded.

Agree with this idea. If I was an agent I would be livid if my client was held back for contractual reasons rather than performance ones. This type of thing is especially egregious in baseball where you can save a year off a rookie's ELC (or, MLB's equivalent of the ELC) by not calling him up for a few weeks at the start of the season. It's so transparent, and many players accept it as a business decision. I don't think that should be allowed by the league, but it's hard to definitively prove the club did it solely for contractual reasons -- saying stuff like "We want him to get his feet wet in the minors for a few weeks" gives you enough plausible deniability, I guess. But I mean when the big club calls their stud rookie up a day after the deadline, it's obvious what is going on.

The Padres did have their #1 megaprospect Fernando Tatis Jr. start the year with them a little while ago, in a year where they weren't expected to compete, so perhaps that will change in time...

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
It’s a pretty big development year for the core this year as well, if he’s up yo it skill wise it makes sense to have him over to reap the benefits and to keep up with the other guys.

There is a whole new wave coming in next year, and it will be nice to have a bunch of established core players already here.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Agree with this idea. If I was an agent I would be livid if my client was held back for contractual reasons rather than performance ones. This type of thing is especially egregious in baseball where you can save a year off a rookie's ELC (or, MLB's equivalent of the ELC) by not calling him up for a few weeks at the start of the season. It's so transparent, and many players accept it as a business decision. I don't think that should be allowed by the league, but it's hard to definitively prove the club did it solely for contractual reasons -- saying stuff like "We want him to get his feet wet in the minors for a few weeks" gives you enough plausible deniability, I guess. But I mean when the big club calls their stud rookie up a day after the deadline, it's obvious what is going on.

The Padres did have their #1 megaprospect Fernando Tatis Jr. start the year with them a little while ago, in a year where they weren't expected to compete, so perhaps that will change in time...

It is a business at the end of the day, so unlikely anything will change. Tatis Jr. was an exception to the rule since he was so good from the start, and teams will think dollars first for the most part.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

In most cases i imagine you can make a solid argument that it's not solely for contractual reasons and that their development is the true goal so you probably aren't burning many bridges, but i figure this kind of stuff is considered all the time. In some cases it might be to the teams advantage to burn a year of the ELC as the player has less leverage coming out of his ELC if he only has a season or two of pro experience.

I mean, we hear about teams taking it into consideration every single year when deciding whether or not to keep a rookie past the 9 game mark.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

El Diego

Jan 2, 2009
It is a business at the end of the day, so unlikely anything will change. Tatis Jr. was an exception to the rule since he was so good from the start, and teams will think dollars first for the most part.

I definitely agree, and if I was a GM I would do the exact same thing. For anything to change it has to come from the PA/league office.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
Per 60, LOL.

Is he going to argue Shawn Horcoff was better than Gretzky? One of my top 5 HFBoard moments.

All those graphs show is Stutzle is on a really bad team and Lafreniere is on an average one. And this is especially meaningless this year given Ottawa is in a division with much higher levels of competition essentially playing best of __ series over and over which is awful for the numbers of a rebuilding team... though I do wonder if it's better for development to play the same team several games in a row to learn how to beat them or do better.

Just going to edit here to say no, I don't think he's better than Lafreniere. I haven't watched enough of either and this season should be a write-off in terms of comparing out of division players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dan Patrick

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I want to see him play as a Centre to see the possibilities. Tkachuk - Stutzle - Batherson could be fun. Puts a Dzingle - Norris - CBrown out there as well. Figure out some speed lines. Get Formenton up here now as well; Pinto in mid-April. Balance that with Paul - White - Watson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia