Player Discussion Tim Stützle - LW/C - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Turnovers are to be expected at this stage in his development. He will find out what works and what doesn't work soon enough. I think they can coach a lot of his shortcomings, and that takes some time. One thing that I am not crazy about is when he makes a bad pass, he spends too much time on the ice being mad about it instead of reacting. Like, he will look skyward, instead of hustling back to get the puck.

Just a weird game last night by everyone

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
I won't disagree but that is the stuff you expect to see from a player like him at this stage.

Have to let him have these moments though as his creativity and aggressiveness are what will make him an elite player in the league. Same reason the best players always have the most give-aways...they have the puck a lot and make high skill, risky plays that don't always work.

I find him struggling since 2-3 games, maybe he needs a night off?

SPF6ty9

Feb 22, 2016
Caca Poopoo Peepee Shire
One thing I like about him (that he showed on his goal vs Leafs and breakaway goal vs Oilers) is that he can take a hard accurate show from a weird angle. He keeps the puck out well in front of him on both goals and is able to get the puck off so quick from a position where you'd think he needs to pull it back and load to fire. Just a really interesting way he's able to get a shot off and perhaps surprise goalies that you don't really see often.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
One thing I like about him (that he showed on his goal vs Leafs and breakaway goal vs Oilers) is that he can take a hard accurate show from a weird angle. He keeps the puck out well in front of him on both goals and is able to get the puck off so quick from a position where you'd think he needs to pull it back and load to fire. Just a really interesting way he's able to get a shot off and perhaps surprise goalies that you don't really see often.

His release is a good one too. His shootout goal, he hides the release very well. He's moving the blade of his stick more than the puck, opening it up several times before finally shooting with a bit of a leg kick for a little extra behind it. Similar to the breakaway goal vs Edmonton he shots it towards the ankle. He is also able to receive the puck and get a shot off quickly in traffic, see the Batherson goal in the 3rd game in Toronto.

I wasn't concerned about his ability to score goals but how well rounded his shooting is, has been a bit of a surprise. Saw him as a player who would be around that 30 goal mark in his prime but from what he has shown this season I think he can be more of a goal scorer than I expected.

Last edited:

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Stutzle is having some difficulties making mistakes as is the entire team, it seems like inexperience & maybe a few nerves not wanting to make mistakes. I'm not too concerned about him he should just keep getting better for the foreseeable future. It's the goaltending & defence that need to be fixed sooner rather than later, they are the two biggest areas of concern right now.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Stutzle is having some difficulties making mistakes as is the entire team, it seems like inexperience & maybe a few nerves not wanting to make mistakes. I'm not too concerned about him he should just keep getting better for the foreseeable future. It's the goaltending & defence that need to be fixed sooner rather than later, they are the two biggest areas of concern right now.

It will be fixed in time, puck management will go along way in making those two groups look better as well.

Reactions: guyzeur

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It will be fixed in time, puck management will go along way in making those two groups look better as well.
I agree, but how long will it take if they plan to fix it with the young guys coming in like JBD, Sanderson & Thomson? It will take a few yrs for these guys to get up to speed at the NHL level. And if they try & fix it with a trade or two .... well .... we have seen how PD's trades have turned out before.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
It's the goaltending & defence that need to be fixed sooner rather than later, they are the two biggest areas of concern right now
Giveaways and team defense are the biggest problem with the Sens. There were many bad turnovers last night , Stutzle, Chabot etc. that were compounded by the Sens backing off and not closing in on the puck carrier. They gave the Flames ample time to shoot from 20 feet out on at least 4 goals. Josh Norris especially awful in his own end.

Reactions: Emrasie

MrGuyPerson

Aug 19, 2020
Giveaways and team defense are the biggest problem with the Sens. There were many bad turnovers last night , Stutzle, Chabot etc. that were compounded by the Sens backing off and not closing in on the puck carrier. They gave the Flames ample time to shoot from 20 feet out on at least 4 goals. Josh Norris especially awful in his own end.

I agree with this. Stü didn't look great. He looked super off his game, but a large majority of the team also just looked off.

Still stinks to watch games where you know the team just doesn't have "it" that night, but hopefully they use the couple nights off to rest, regroup, and adjust to play a different game on Sunday

JD1

Sep 12, 2005

There's a lot of schedule effects at this point. Look at our recent 4 games with Calgary

1. We were rested, they weren't. We pounded them.
2. Equal rest. They were embarrassed the game the day prior.
3. We were rested. They weren't. We pounded them.
4. They were rested. We weren't. They pounded us

Mixed in there was us playing Montreal with them rested and us not

I think the schedule is starting to have a bigger impact than what's typical

SensEnforcer

Nov 23, 2008
Melbourne
Interesting, the word is that Jimmy is starting to get a reputation as an embellisher around the league. I believe that contributed to the diving penalty he received tonight.
When you get a stick in-between the legs at full speed its hard to stay on your skates, I think it was a bad call but refs made a predetermined penalty due to their mindset.

Reactions: NB613

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Interesting, the word is that Jimmy is starting to get a reputation as an embellisher around the league. I believe that contributed to the diving penalty he received tonight.
When you get a stick in-between the legs at full speed its hard to stay on your skates, I think it was a bad call but refs made a predetermined penalty due to their mindset.

He does have a little bit of the younger Sidney Crosby 'throwing the head back dramatically' thing sometimes.

He'll grow out of it, but I've noticed him somewhat embellishing before for sure.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He does have a little bit of the younger Sidney Crosby 'throwing the head back dramatically' thing sometimes.

He'll grow out of it, but I've noticed him somewhat embellishing before for sure.

Nailed it. He has the exact same demeanor as a young Crosby no doubt.

He's an emotional kid, and has 'loud' body language. In some cases, that could be mistaken for embellishment.

Sometimes this is definitely the case, especially as Stutzle acclimates to the physicality of the NHL.

Last edited:

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I love Jimmy but I think he would do well to sit for a game to calm him down a bit.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
It’s been a while since a player has put me to the edge of seat when I’d see him wind up with crossovers after taking a slight turn back to pick up momentum. Makes me feel like a little kid about to watch an amazing display of fireworks.

Something that Havlat and Hossa made me feel.

Felt that to a lesser extent with Duclair last year.

He’s only 19. Lol. Imagine him doing this at 21 let alone 23. Just electric. We are ridiculously fortunate to have him.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I feel like he's hitting a bit of the proverbial rookie wall the last couple games. You still see the flashes of amazing, but he seems a bit out of sorts.

All part of the process and he just needs to push through.

On another note I ended up down the hockey/Youtube rabbit hole yesterday and ended up watching some Ziggy Palffy highlights. Something about Stü reminds me of him. Not sure what but Ziggy's style of play made me think of Stützle.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
as the season wears on, it's a grind, and Jimmy needing to be stronger becomes more apparent....but man is he going to be a stud

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad