Player Discussion Tim Stützle - LW/C - Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Man, the bar for us Sens fans has become low. Dadonov is a great piece, not an elite piece.
Do you have to be an elite player to provide mentorship? Alfie and Hossa turned out just fine, unless your attributing that to the mentoring of Yashin...

Stützle will need to be surrounded by a core of good players for us to take the next step, hopefully Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris and Chabot can be that foundation. If the mentors that we get, like Dadonov, play more of a support role on the ice, i think that's fine, just so long as they can play a support role and aren't plugs like Stepan and Gudbranson...

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Do you have to be an elite player to provide mentorship? Alfie and Hossa turned out just fine, unless your attributing that to the mentoring of Yashin...

Stützle will need to be surrounded by a core of good players for us to take the next step, hopefully Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris and Chabot can be that foundation. If the mentors that we get, like Dadonov, play more of a support role on the ice, i think that's fine, just so long as they can play a support role and aren't plugs like Stepan and Gudbranson...

the big issue in Ottawa with the Alfie/Hossa teams wasn’t talent - that developed fine. So many questions about leadership because they had to answer questions about playoffs loses when they had no answers. The Mark Messier and Gary Roberts rumours were about leadership and not mentoring their talent.

I think they will develop fine but if Tkachuk and Chabot have to answer the ‘why didn’t you win’ questions, that’s when it will become an issue

topshelf15

May 5, 2009

This is should be the most interesting part of the rebuild, or the most telling...Most cup winners have made that big trade or signing to brace their core....Chicago with Hossa,LA with Carter and Richards...TB with Sergechev and Drouin....Is Ottawa,s ownership ready to commit the resources to make this good young core great???Time will tell

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This is should be the most interesting part of the rebuild, or the most telling...Most cup winners have made that big trade or signing to brace their core....Chicago with Hossa,LA with Carter and Richards...TB with Sergechev and Drouin....Is Ottawa,s ownership ready to commit the resources to make this good young core great???Time will tell

Dadonov?

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Imagine Stutzle with the mentorship of Hossa the way Kane got. Or the mentorship of Kopitar that Byfield going to get. Or the mentorship of Bergeron that Pastrnak got. Or mentorship of Kane that Debrincat got. Or the mentorship of Stone that Tkachuk got ( :( )

My point: we better get this man some help next year to see him fully blossom.

Remember when people here were adamant that Stepan was THAT GUY for Timmy? Ahhh. Good times.

But seriously, skills wise this kid needs no mentors. Mentorship will help with good habits and I think guys like Connor Brown, Nick Paul, Tkachuk and White are hardworking guys who've seen enough of the league to help Stü develop good habits. Sure an elite guy who also has great habits like Hossa or Stone would be nice, but apparently that ship has sailed.

Reactions: Kleefeld

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Remember when people here were adamant that Stepan was THAT GUY for Timmy? Ahhh. Good times.

But seriously, skills wise this kid needs no mentors. Mentorship will help with good habits and I think guys like Connor Brown, Nick Paul, Tkachuk and White are hardworking guys who've seen enough of the league to help Stü develop good habits. Sure an elite guy who also has great habits like Hossa or Stone would be nice, but apparently that ship has sailed.

Jimmy is a 19 year old in a new country amongst strangers in the best hockey league on the planet. He can use all the mentorship he gets, but I agree that his teammates, who are in their early 20s and learning themselves, will allow him to catch up.

Brady was literally born into an NHL family where good ol' nasty Keith raised his prototypes. The Tkachuk brothers had a lifetime of mentorship, it shows in their games. So living with now best bud Brady, who himself learned from Mark Stone, is probably by design and a great move. Buddy/roomie Jimmy's on the fast track.

Last edited:

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Eichel? :naughty:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

I was one of them but just for this season. Stepan acquisition was just a failure though. The options last off-season were slim pickings anyway. Who was the best forward moved? Hall in UFA? Dadonov to our team via UFA?

Also, acquiring an asset(via trade) last season would have been extremely dumb as we had a bunch of great but unproven prospects. This off-season there should be more options due to the expansion draft, flat cap, and we have more NHL proven assets we can use via trade that have raised their value significantly.

But we may be looking at another short stop gap such as Getzlaf or Eric Staal if we cannot find the right piece available. I feel we will make a big push for Forsberg with extension in place and see what price is for Arvidsson.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Hands up. Who watched the WJC and was suggesting on this board that the best thing for stuetzle was going back to Germany or playing in the AHL?

Hmmm....

Who wants to own up to that opinion?

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
Hands up. Who watched the WJC and was suggesting on this board that the best thing for stuetzle was going back to Germany or playing in the AHL?

Hmmm....

Who wants to own up to that opinion?

I will own up to it. But it had nothing to do with if he could be effective in the NHL or not.

It mostly had to do with keeping him away from the gong show, preserve the ELC and not use a year on 56 games and the unknown on how the NHL would operate due to Covid.

For the record I wanted him in Germany not the AHL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I will own up to it. But it had nothing to do with if he could be effective in the NHL or not.

It mostly had to do with keeping him away from the gong show, preserve the ELC and not use a year on 56 games and the unknown on how the NHL would operate due to Covid.

For the record I wanted him in Germany not the AHL.

I wanted him in Ottawa for greedy purposes, i knew he'd be fun to watch and give people a reason to tune into games.

With a top guy like him who will get a big 2nd contract there is real value to sliding the ELC, so there is absolutely no crow eating to be done by anyone who wanted him to play in Germany, only for those that didn't think he was ready for the NHL game.

Reactions: ijif and DJB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I wanted him in Ottawa for greedy purposes, i knew he'd be fun to watch and give people a reason to tune into games.

With a top guy like him who will get a big 2nd contract there is real value to sliding the ELC, so there is absolutely no crow eating to be done by anyone who wanted him to play in Germany, only for those that didn't think he was ready for the NHL game.
I was hoping he played in Ottawa and I was hoping to get a year off his ELC. Kid is going to be getting better and better. We might save some on his next contract by getting him locked up next summer.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I was hoping he played in Ottawa and I was hoping to get a year off his ELC. Kid is going to be getting better and better. We might save some on his next contract by getting him locked up next summer.
I think its wishfull thinking tbh, he is progressing fast and will likely wait out till the last moment to extend so he'll have 3 strong seasons under his belt to negotiate off of either way imo but that is a rational reason to have him in Ottawa particularly before knowing just how well he would transition.

BigRig4

Feb 22, 2014
I'm going to get roasted for this but I haven't been as impressed by him as everyone else has. He needs to improve his turnovers and soft play. I have no doubt he'll figure it out, still the youngest player in the league but please stop trying to dangle every shift and inevitably losing the puck.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I'm going to get roasted for this but I haven't been as impressed by him as everyone else has. He needs to improve his turnovers and soft play. I have no doubt he'll figure it out, still the youngest player in the league but please stop trying to dangle every shift and inevitably losing the puck.

I won't disagree but that is the stuff you expect to see from a player like him at this stage.

Have to let him have these moments though as his creativity and aggressiveness are what will make him an elite player in the league. Same reason the best players always have the most give-aways...they have the puck a lot and make high skill, risky plays that don't always work.

Reactions: BigRig4
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille