Confirmed with Link: Tim Murray Leaving for Buffalo

• Thread starter TheOriginalSilf*
  • Start date

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"If you're a good team, you spend to the cap" is not the same as "spend to the cap to become a good team".

The majority of our guys are between 20-24. We're not in "full cap mode" just yet, and in case you haven't been paying attention, neither are the Sabres.

Nor will the Sabres be any time soon.

This is a good situation for Tim Murray to prove what he can do. Ideal even. He'll be in firesale mode, then he can start to build a team his way.

We won't really see his impact, or the fruits of his labor for at least 5 years.

There is no need to go into panic mode over the Sabres. At least not yet.

This is a very rational, reasonable post worthy of applause.

icefists*

I have no problem with Tim Murray leaving to be a GM somewhere, what I have a problem with is the Sens letting another talented assistant GM go to rebuild a division rival.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
For what it's worth, some of my family grew up with the Murray's and apparently Tim has been the brains of the operation for a while.

He apparently has no people skills though, which might make it hard for him to build good relationships as a GM.

Apparently Tim would be the one to evaluate potential trades, etc and Murray was the mouthpiece/the one with all of the connections and working relationships.

Someone else in the AGM position, might benefit the team, outside perspective is always good.

I don't see much problem with Dorion taking over TM's role. The guy just as smart a hockey guy as TM. BM is still handling personnel, now Dorion gets an even larger role evaluating.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I have no problem with Tim Murray leaving to be a GM somewhere, what I have a problem with is the Sens letting another talented assistant GM go to rebuild a division rival.

On the same note though it's a good message to send prospective young management type employees. Imagine how pissed Benning must feel. He got screwed out of millions and a really solid gig.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Yeah, at this point I think most people are concerned about any more of our people leaving with Tim. If he goes all on his own to BUF then I can easily be happy for the guy.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I don't see much problem with Dorion taking over TM's role. The guy just as smart a hockey guy as TM. BM is still handling personnel, now Dorion gets an even larger role evaluating.

notch or 2 below (maybe more)

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
I have to ask how you are so certain of this. Is it just from watching interviews?

what's the difference. it's all just opinion anyway. past records and future will tell. We just have to wait a few years and see what he does in buffalo.
i'm just spewing my opinions. why? i don't know.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Bryan Murray wishes he could say the things Tim Murray said. Bryan Murray feels no different in regards to the budget.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
what's the difference. it's all just opinion anyway. past records and future will tell. We just have to wait a few years and see what he does in buffalo.
i'm just spewing my opinions. why? i don't know.

Well I wasn't attacking you or anything, you just come off as so certain that I wondered if you had any "inside" type knowledge.

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
I think the impact of Tim leaving wont be felt for a few years. We have drafted and developed players really well, with his input, and if there is a falloff in talent coming up from Bingo in 5 years time we will look back at this as the reason. If there isn't everyone will be saying he was overrated :)

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Well I wasn't attacking you or anything, you just come off as so certain that I wondered if you had any "inside" type knowledge.

how "inside" do you have to be to qualify? i don't know. i just know tim murray was very important to the organization and felt somewhat compelled to defend him seeing some posters here implying he wasn't.
Anyway, i'm happy for Tim and am excited to see what he does there.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
how "inside" do you have to be to qualify? i don't know. i just know tim murray was very important to the organization and felt somewhat compelled to defend him seeing some posters here implying he wasn't.
Anyway, i'm happy for Tim and am excited to see what he does there.

Just being close to the organization in any capacity, I suppose. From where I'm sitting I have no way of knowing if Tim Murray or Dorion is the "superior" judge of talent, and everything I have heard falls mostly in the territory of conjecture.

JoeSakic

Aug 15, 2006
This board is awesome.

I love people debating with people about perceived facts. It's comical to me that a thread about our AGM taking a GM position has generated 700+ posts.

Good for Tim - he's achieved a goal to become a GM in the NHL. The Ottawa Senators didn't block his progression - good for them. The Ottawa Senators as an organization will not fold tent and assume the fetal position because of it - like anything in life they'll move on.

Tim will undoubtedly make moves for some players he's had a hand in drafting - which ones I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

But let's be realistic here (and don't let Fuhr's the sky is falling routine influence you) we lost our AGM...as an organization we haven't won or done anything spectacular. Tim has been a valuable asset but like each and everyone of us he is replaceable...and we'll replace him.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
This board is awesome.

I love people debating with people about perceived facts. It's comical to me that a thread about our AGM taking a GM position has generated 700+ posts.

Good for Tim - he's achieved a goal to become a GM in the NHL. The Ottawa Senators didn't block his progression - good for them. The Ottawa Senators as an organization will not fold tent and assume the fetal position because of it - like anything in life they'll move on.

Tim will undoubtedly make moves for some players he's had a hand in drafting - which ones I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.

But let's be realistic here (and don't let Fuhr's the sky is falling routine influence you) we lost our AGM...as an organization we haven't won or done anything spectacular. Tim has been a valuable asset but like each and everyone of us he is replaceable...and we'll replace him.

What he said. We lost the assistant general manager, not the general manager, not the head coach, not the guys on the ice. This only becomes an issue if Bryan is leaving after the season is over, which he isn't. We have time to find the next heir apparent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad