Confirmed with Link: Tim Murray Leaving for Buffalo

• Thread starter TheOriginalSilf*
  • Start date

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Dorion should be the new AGM & Lee will likely take over Dorion`s role as Head of Player Development. I wonder how long before BM & TM make a deal for one of Buffalo`s 1st rd pick as Garrioch mentioned. Ottawa has the prospects & Buffalo has the picks. I also wouldn`t be surprised if TM signs SDC, JOB & making a couple more of Ottawa`s UFAs to two way contracts.
I would be scared if we make a trade with Buffalo.
TM knows players and organization from within and wouldn't bite on JOB, Greening and Michalek.
He will also now get to know Buffalo players with all their issues and more likely than not this would be a huge steal for him.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
Hmm.. how big of a role did Anders Forsberg play in our drafting...are these "his guys"?

Andre Petersson
Jakob Silfverberg
Erik Karlsson
Robin Lehner
Marcus Sorenson
Emil Sandin

Yup and he also had convinced Dorion/Murray to take Ekman-Larsson, but Phoenix ruined that plan.

Proust*

Dec 8, 2010
Well, the organization just got less ugly. A move like this was needed after we lost Vermette.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Hmm.. how big of a role did Anders Forsberg play in our drafting...are these "his guys"?

Andre Petersson
Jakob Silfverberg
Erik Karlsson
Robin Lehner

Marcus Sorenson
Emil Sandin

50% drafting efficiency on NHL players, using mid-first and second round picks, is amazing!

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
http://autopod.ca/chum/186/podcasts/

- Very happy for Tim. Melnyk was also happy. Would never stand in someones way to leave the organization to get a promotion. That includes Richardson who he was asked directly about.
- First time in 18 years he won't have Tim around.
- All came together last couple of days.
- No contract extension discussions have started with any soon to be UFA
- Ceci playing as well as he has, has eliminated the need to trade for a defenceman. Murray even said that he is playing better than any dman he could trade for right now.

There is more but that's a brief oversight from what I remember from this afternoon

thanks buddy.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Reading this thread, it really strikes me as some people really have no idea of how it goes behind the scenes concerning the decisional process of the business world. Could be wrong but just a feeling I get.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Reading this thread, it really strikes me as some people really have no idea of how it goes behind the scenes concerning the decisional process of the business world.

how do you mean?

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
how do you mean?
reading the thread would have me believe Tim was the mastermind behind hiring and managing the entire Sens workforce and who would seamlessly move into the difficult job of an NHL GM.

Speaking of Tim, he's got a player on the Sabres who isn't NHL ready but has played in the NHL last season and this season, and he was sent down.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
how do you mean?

There is no superhero, people do teamwork and discussions are made about every significant decision. When you're an executive, you spend your life in meeting rooms. And everyone's input is taken in consideration. People do their homework individually, then get together to start the decisional process

The boss main role is to assemble everyone's input (including his) and take the best decision possible. He has the final say. The less managers involve others, the weaker it gets IMO. It's really hard to work with a manager who has a "God" demeanor IMO

I have seen this in 2 big food companies (the biggest food company in the world being one of them) and now I see this in the social work world as well.

Oh, and the more involved people are in everything, the better. It's a strength when people know about every aspect of the management. At Kraft Canada, they used to put Sales manager on the road to refresh their mind and get in touch with the most recent market reality, on the ground.

Tim Murray probably provided some great input, now for the Sens it's just a matter of who will bring new input to the team's management

Last edited:

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
reading the thread would have me believe Tim was the mastermind behind hiring and managing the entire Sens workforce and who would seamlessly move into the difficult job of an NHL GM.

Speaking of Tim, he's got a player on the Sabres who isn't NHL ready but has played in the NHL last season and this season, and he was sent down.

I was just curious what he was getting at. Not looking to argue.
Tim was an important part of the management team. That's all. I just thought he was the best candidate for the GM job after Bryan left. And I'm just guessing whatever happens it wouldn't be better than what would have been had he stayed. But who knows what the big plan is.
I do like dorion and randy lee, royce, fargher, burda, janecyk and the rest of the scouting team. They can probably do a decent job of filling TMs spot. There is still a strong possibility that dorion eventually joins TM in buffalo and then richardson follows though. That's not me being a debbie downer just looking at reality. dorion and TM are a duo team since ny and richardson is TM kind of coach obviously.
Randy Lee could become the GM and another scout could become AGM in a couple yrs anyway.

you mean larsson? wasn't he up because of injury? i think hodgson is back

TM will have to start from the bottom and work his way up without any preconceptions. I'm really interested to see what he does.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
There is no superhero, people do teamwork and discussions are made about every significant decision. When you're an executive, you spend your life in meeting rooms. And everyone's input is taken in consideration. People do their homework individually, then get together to start the decisional process

The boss main role is to assemble everyone's input (including his) and take the best decision possible. He has the final say. The less managers involve others, the weaker it gets IMO. It's really hard to work with a manager who has a "God" demeanor IMO

I have seen this in 2 big food companies (the biggest food company in the world being one of them) and now I see this in the social work world as well.

Oh, and the more involved people are in everything, the better. It's a strength when people know about every aspect of the management. At Kraft Canada, they used to put Sales manager on the road to refresh their mind and get in touch with the most recent market reality, on the ground.

Tim Murray probably provided some great input, now for the Sens it's just a matter of who will bring new input to the team's management

ok, well i get what you are saying. but not everyone is equal. what is it that puts some teams over the top? it's better decision making no? the right people need to be in place for that to happen. not just anyone. we'll have to see, maybe it won't end up hurting so much or at all and ottawa will go on to win cups every year and buffalo stays in last place forever.

and i don't think we should be saying probably at this point. that is really the only thing i have a problem with. He definitely did provide great input.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
ah I forgot about Larsson, but I meant Grigorenko, it's a bit of a mess I guess.

As for Dorion, I believe he was interviewed by the Habs for the GM position, and if so, I imagine that joining the Sabres where Tim will be the GM for a good while, is not what he'll do.

(can't find anything on whether Dorion was interviewed but I'm almost certain he was)

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
ah I forgot about Larsson, but I meant Grigorenko, it's a bit of a mess I guess.

As for Dorion, I believe he was interviewed by the Habs for the GM position, and if so, I imagine that joining the Sabres where Tim will be the GM for a good while, is not what he'll do.
Well he worked for Montreal. So there was a connection. He didn't get it obviously. He may get a gm job somewhere else if not with the sens true.

Grigorenko will have to have a chat with Timmy. He posted on his Facebook page that he was sorry but doesn't want to go back to junior? Nolan says it's non negotiable. This is exactly the type of thing TM can have settled within days.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Well he worked for Montreal. So there was a connection. He didn't get it obviously. He may get a gm job somewhere else if not with the sens true.

Grigorenko will have to have a chat with Timmy. He posted on his Facebook page that he was sorry but doesn't want to go back to junior? Nolan says it's non negotiable. This is exactly the type of thing TM can have settled within days.

Yikes. That is not a good situation for either party, and just adds more fuel to the "Russian factor" mantra. Kid's not doing himself (or his countrymen following him) any favors.

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Yikes. That is not a good situation for either party, and just adds more fuel to the "Russian factor" mantra. Kid's not doing himself (or his countrymen following him) any favors.

Check out the grigo thread on the buffalo board. It has a screen of his Facebook post that was apparently removed. Worth a look. Haha. Poor TM.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Check out the grigo thread on the buffalo board. It has a screen of his Facebook post that was apparently removed. Worth a look. Haha. Poor TM.

It's just a stupid situation all around...a the perfect example why you don't keep an 18/9 year old kid in the NHL unless he is absolutely, totally, 100%, balls-to-the-wall ready. If so much as one person in the organization has a doubt on a teenage player's ability to handle himself and contribute at the NHL, it should be an automatic return to junior.

It's probably hard for the kid's ego to go back to the Q, but right now, it's his best option. Play a ton of minutes, put up some points and round out his game and get stronger. Too bad Buffalo kept him round all year last season and spoiled him a bit. Makes it that much harder to send him down.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
ok, well i get what you are saying. but not everyone is equal. what is it that puts some teams over the top? it's better decision making no? the right people need to be in place for that to happen. not just anyone. we'll have to see, maybe it won't end up hurting so much or at all and ottawa will go on to win cups every year and buffalo stays in last place forever.

and i don't think we should be saying probably at this point. that is really the only thing i have a problem with. He definitely did provide great input.

I think the best is to have a great mix of personalities and visions. The most important for a manager is to well surrounded with a good mix of strengths. And apparently, it is a Murray strength so I wouldn't be too worried at replacing only 1 person.

And you're right, he probably did provide a great input, but I can't state it as a fact as I'm not an insider. He probably shared a lot of visions with Bryan but what they say to the media and what happens in reality is most of the time a different story

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Good test for TM with Grigs. There is nothing Buffalo can do about it since they are not allowed to call him back up from juniors and can't send him to KHL. Only solution is talk to the guy and convince him to report to Quebec. Not exactly something Tim is known to be good at.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad