Recalled/Assigned: Tim Gettinger to Hartford, Boo Nieves to NYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Yup, I don’t see why the Rangers would sent Nieves back with McKegg still injured and Lias in Hartford.
Yeah and I don't think they have any problem keeping Nieves up but not playing him. Like if they want to play Haley back-to-back or something, it's no big deal if Boo is in the press box. Gettinger on the other hand, you're not doing him any favors if you're not playing him.

Reactions: kovazub94

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
I feel like Boo Nieves couldn’t score in a brothel.

Yeah, maybe but...
apparently when an actual finisher type scorer is on for an adequate amount of time on Boo shift (as opposed to a busted play), Nieves adds to his +/- stat, even if he doesn't get a point.

Sure, Nieves, who I am on record is a facilitator, not a scorer, doesn't deserve the star, breadman does; but Panarin joining a play to which Nieves speed and other ability helped facilitate a nice chance, led to Panarin burying it.

While he has no points in 4 games, and gets 0 PP time, and is almost never matched simultaneously with a play driver and scorer as I've suggested, his +2 in the mere 4 games is noticeable, esp given balance of roster +/-.

Reactions: Lias Andersson

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
Yeah, maybe but...
apparently when an actual finisher type scorer is on for an adequate amount of time on Boo shift (as opposed to a busted play), Nieves adds to his +/- stat, even if he doesn't get a point.

Sure, Nieves, who I am on record is a facilitator, not a scorer, doesn't deserve the star, breadman does; but Panarin joining a play to which Nieves speed and other ability helped facilitate a nice chance, led to Panarin burying it.

While he has no points in 4 games, and gets 0 PP time, and is almost never matched simultaneously with a play driver and scorer as I've suggested, his +2 in the mere 4 games is noticeable, esp given balance of roster +/-.

Sent down again

Give it up

You are now arguing plus/minus

Just stop

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bern, at some point you are going to have to come to grips that Nieves is a fringe NHLer. Heck, he may be a fringe AHLer.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I hope so, but Nieves is awful. Rangers should NOT resign Nieves at all. depth AHL player at best. what a great 2ed round pick he turned out to be, crap
Since 2000, the only players picked 59th who have played more NHL games are Brandon Pirri and Jason Zucker. 12 of the picks have not played in the NHL. Brandon Halverson played 1 game. If you extend it to picks 59-62, still since 2000, it's 20 guys. The number will shrink if Boo continues to get cups of coffee in the league.

Boo Nieves, in the context of a selection at the back end of round two, was a good pick.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Since 2000, the only players picked 59th who have played more NHL games are Brandon Pirri and Jason Zucker. 12 of the picks have not played in the NHL. Brandon Halverson played 1 game. If you extend it to picks 59-62, still since 2000, it's 20 guys. The number will shrink if Boo continues to get cups of coffee in the league.

Boo Nieves, in the context of a selection at the back end of round two, was a good pick.
Still a terrible player. He shouldn't even bet getting cups of coffee in the league. His play in the AHL was terrible this season too so i'm not even sure why he was called up. Forwards are thin in HFD.

Reactions: Unusual Suspect

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Still a terrible player. He shouldn't even bet getting cups of coffee in the league. His play in the AHL was terrible this season too so i'm not even sure why he was called up. Forwards are thin in HFD.
Okay well analysis is subjective, and there are terrible players who played more games than Boo included in my tally. So it's irrelevant. My point is the vast majority of the time with one of the final picks in the second round you won't even get a guy who ever plays an NHL game. So to say he was a terrible pick is objectively false.

Antoine Lafleur was a terrible pick.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Okay well analysis is subjective, and there are terrible players who played more games than Boo included in my tally. So it's irrelevant. My point is the vast majority of the time with one of the final picks in the second round you won't even get a guy who ever plays an NHL game. So to say he was a terrible pick is objectively false.

Antoine Lafleur was a terrible pick.
I agree it wasn't a terrible pick either. Anytime a late 2nd round is at least a fringe NHLer for part of his hockey career he at least made off far better than most that deep into the draft.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I have personally never been given a chance to center a first line of an NHL team therefore it has not been proven that I cannot do it.

We should try this experiment

First shift, 15 seconds into the game...

2003-Paul-Kariya.jpg

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010

Ghost, Parayko, and Slavin were all still on the board.

The only thing Nieves had going for him was he was Captain of Michigan.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
In all seriousness, I do wish Haley was sent down and Boo was our 13th forward.

It is truly a disgrace that Michael Haley and similar players are rostered by us every season. Even after a GM/coaching change. Bothers me.

I can't explain how thrilled I would be the year we have a roster that doesn't have a Glass, McLeod or Haley type player.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009

It is truly a disgrace that Michael Haley and similar players are rostered by us every season. Even after a GM/coaching change. Bothers me.

I can't explain how thrilled I would be the year we have a roster that doesn't have a Glass, McLeod or Haley type player.
I wonder how much of it comes from the good ol' boy mentality. I think a lot of coaches and office guys feel a certain way about a certain type of player (plugs) because they were those players themselves.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Ghost, Parayko, and Slavin were all still on the board.

The only thing Nieves had going for him was he was Captain of Michigan.
You bring up someone like Slavin, the 120th pick of the draft? Okay, so there are probably 80 guys that are "bad" picks because they were picked before Slavin and aren't as good.

The point wasn't that Nieves was "the best" pick, because he obviously wasn't. The point is that the odds of drafting a guy at 59 who goes on to play even 80 NHL games are slim. So if you do that, you're doing okay. We've done a good job drafting NHL players out of the middle rounds as it is.

Even "good" NHL picks, you can usually point to a whole list of guys chosen later who ended up better. What's the point?

As far as what he had going for him, he was one of the highest-rated US prep players in the draft. I think ISS had him in the 20s, but I can't recall exactly. He was considered a good value relative to his rankings, and ended up being a decent value for where he was picked. I don't understand the criticism. He wasn't even the captain at Michigan, and even if he was, I don't know what that has to do with his draft selection.

If you look at the percentages, picking 59th, you'd want to draft Boo Nieves 3 of 4 times and someone better the other one time. If you did that, you'd be doing well.

Reactions: Mac n Gs

Unusual Suspect

Aug 22, 2005
Warren County, NJ
Don't care about that draft anymore and the hindsight is so far in the rear view mirror it seems ludicrous to even be discussing it. In the here and now, this guy is NOT an NHL forward and should never be seen in a New York jersey again if at all possible. I'm not high on Gettinger or much of anyone else in HFD right now, but none of them have blown a significant number of chances to show something in the bigs and Nieves has. Turn the page.

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
You bring up someone like Slavin, the 120th pick of the draft? Okay, so there are probably 80 guys that are "bad" picks because they were picked before Slavin and aren't as good.

The point wasn't that Nieves was "the best" pick, because he obviously wasn't. The point is that the odds of drafting a guy at 59 who goes on to play even 80 NHL games are slim. So if you do that, you're doing okay. We've done a good job drafting NHL players out of the middle rounds as it is.

Even "good" NHL picks, you can usually point to a whole list of guys chosen later who ended up better. What's the point?

As far as what he had going for him, he was one of the highest-rated US prep players in the draft. I think ISS had him in the 20s, but I can't recall exactly. He was considered a good value relative to his rankings, and ended up being a decent value for where he was picked. I don't understand the criticism. He wasn't even the captain at Michigan, and even if he was, I don't know what that has to do with his draft selection.

If you look at the percentages, picking 59th, you'd want to draft Boo Nieves 3 of 4 times and someone better the other one time. If you did that, you'd be doing well.

I'm not trying to be a D, but the whole premise of your justification for picking Boo was based on historical #59 picks and you sited other #59 picks.

#59 historical picks has way less relevance than the 3 players still left on the board in Nieves specific draft that I referenced, one of which, Paryako, is a beast. We're not talking about picking a long shot goalie in a later round here. Slavin, Paryako, and Ghostisbear are significant upgrades over Christoval "Berns Boo" Nieves.

It was a Scouting dept philosophy back then to draft "sure thing" players in the 2nd or 3rd. Boo din't work out as far as I'm concerned. Besides the 3 I mentioned there are quite a few more who have carved out meaningful NHL roles. I cherry picked the 3 best. Go back to 2012 draft and you could almost assemble a team of players picked after Nieves who have more GP and Points.

Using a specific spot in the draft like the way you did is the same as HFB fans using a players 1st round draft status as a means to justify their bias on a crappy player 6+ after they were drafted and are struggling in the AHL but are "untouchable" because of "potential" because they were drafted in the single digits. There is less merit to that argument than what I brought to the table, which, as you rightfully pointed out, has it's faults in logic as well.

Reactions: Musto

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I'm not trying to be a D, but the whole premise of your justification for picking Boo was based on historical #59 picks and you sited other #59 picks.

#59 historical picks has way less relevance than the 3 players still left on the board in Nieves specific draft that I referenced, one of which, Paryako, is a beast. We're not talking about picking a long shot goalie in a later round here. Slavin, Paryako, and Ghostisbear are significant upgrades over Christoval "Berns Boo" Nieves.

It was a Scouting dept philosophy back then to draft "sure thing" players in the 2nd or 3rd. Boo din't work out as far as I'm concerned. Besides the 3 I mentioned there are quite a few more who have carved out meaningful NHL roles. I cherry picked the 3 best. Go back to 2012 draft and you could almost assemble a team of players picked after Nieves who have more GP and Points.

Using a specific spot in the draft like the way you did is the same as HFB fans using a players 1st round draft status as a means to justify their bias on a crappy player 6+ after they were drafted and are struggling in the AHL but are "untouchable" because of "potential" because they were drafted in the single digits. There is less merit to that argument than what I brought to the table, which, as you rightfully pointed out, has it's faults in logic as well.
The purpose of mentioning the other players drafted around that spot historically was to illustrate the caliber of player generally found at the back of the second round. This is because a lot of people think that at his spot, you should be finding good NHL players. On occasion you will, but generally you don't even find players of Nieves' caliber.

Obviously all rounds of the draft produce quality NHL players, something we know very well as we've been a team that has found a good number of them up through round seven. So, yeah, we could have done better, but statistically we're likely to do worse. It wasn't a terrible pick viewed from any kind of objective lense. Looking at it in hindsight and identifying guys that graded out rounds later who ended up better isn't really objective.

I mean everyone is free to kill the pick if they want, but that's not really fair.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

We would be better off, cap wise and every other way, w/
Nieves, McKegg, and Gettinger [assuming he can actually skate, which at this pt we think is the case]
instead of
Haley, Namest. [good riddance], Smith [counting the days] and Andersson [1st decent offer, moving him, at least Howden can skate].

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad