Recalled/Assigned: Tim Gettinger to Hartford, Boo Nieves to NYR

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Bet he and Kreider produce more synergy than Strome and Panarin if given half the chance

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Bern, Homie, Home Skillet, Buddy....

The guy has 20 career goals in the AHL.

Over five seasons.

And 124 games.

Going back to 2011, Nieves has never scored more than 10 goals in a season at any level at which he's played.

Whatever his path may include, a scoring forward in the NHL is not part of that journey.

Pal-o-mino, pal-o-mine-o
and a friend to us all.

Edge my good man,
I have never said that do this experiment and suddenly Nieves becomes a scoring dynamo.
Sure, obv., if you upgrade McLeod/comparable and similar with Ws like Kreider and perhaps Zib or other suitable, then yes Boo's totals --- like any other pivot in same scenario --- would go up. But clearly I never said we do this for Boo's sake.

There are 2 basic reasons for this experiment.
The secondary reason is if it works, you have beaten expectations and pushed more depth into the lower part of the roster.
Take Chytil.
He is turning into a fine 2C.
If this experiment works, we can have, instead of your basic 3C, a superior 3C which helps plan to make a third line more akin to a 2nd line once we get Chytil his correct wings.
Or, we can think of something like Chytil + for Seider +.
Bottom line it is a net result positive if it works, so no reason to not try.

The other, primary reason, is stabilizing Kreider.
CK has 2 modes: bull in a china shop, unstoppable, and regular.
bull in china mode is effective a few shifts here and there, esp in playoffs, but it is difficult and disruptive to other player production to do this most shifts.
Kreider can drive play, but it is mostly limited to his sphere of influence. To max production in the offensive zone, he needs a facilitator and a finisher W. A great playmaker pivot helps here, and one who can do that job but also has the speed/size/defensive responsibility bundle is a big plus. Hence Nieves. Who should be that finishing 2RW should be determined on totality of circumstances.

Additional benefit from this is too much line juggling.
AV was the worst on this, and on this one area DQ is not much better.
Yes, be prepared in case of injuries, etc
but
roll consistent lines = familiarity = better chemistry

if the chemistry is good enuf with the right pieces happening to be highly complementary, you can then hope for synergy.

Happy Turkey Day in adv to you and our Ranger brethren

Reactions: cwede

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
There is ZERO reason to not TRY the experiment I've pushed.
Adequate trial period, with correct linemates Kreider +.
If it doesn't work, for whatever reason, it will not be the first time someone tried something new and it failed.
BUT ZERO reason to not try.
20 goals in how many seasons at the AHL? The screams reason enough.

Why not experiment with Panarin centering Smith and Fast, while we are at it?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
You would think a guy with that size / speed combo.
I've been Nieves' biggest cheerleader since day one, but it's occured to me that he's just not that smart. Like he absolutely has the tools to be able to score 10-15 goals with 25 assists, but he doesn't think quickly enough to produce like that as a pro.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I'm negative on your idea bc of how over the top irrational, long winded and attention seeking it is.

There's tons of evidence to the contrary.

And I've said this repeatedly. I LIKE Boo. He HAS worked in small doses. But he does not do enough consistently yet on all ends of the ice. Maybe he gets there. He's not there yet. You're going way overboard to the point that it's annoying. Stop posting the same idea in novel form over and over

What were you thinking? If you said"Well we should just TRY it! I'm not wrong if I say we should just TRY it" that we'd all pat you on the head and tell you you're right?

"we could at least try x" is the lowest bar imaginable for technically being right. Congrats, you're right in the most inconsequential manner possible.

Try it bc he's fast and we're throwing **** at a wall hoping it sticks. His play on the ice damn sure doesn't warrant it and in all your incessant badgering you never once broke down what it is that ACTUALLY works about them. It's all just mythical "chemistry". You don't want to put any effort into actually proving it so why would we take it as anything but a joke? It's like Ancient Aliens

I would actually be really thrilled if he DID work. I'd get such a kick out of it. What I DONT get a kick out of is seeing that crap wall of text about this same thing all over again. It's like walking a mile in a small circle. All that and you never even left the same spot.

Why did I have a flashback to Andersson’s discussions after reading @bernmeister ‘s post and your response? Amazing

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I've been Nieves' biggest cheerleader since day one, but it's occured to me that he's just not that smart. Like he absolutely has the tools to be able to score 10-15 goals with 25 assists, but he doesn't think quickly enough to produce like that as a pro.
Agreed, though, if you'll pardon me, I'd stay away from the words "just not that smart". Speed of processing, plus ability to act on what one processes, is exceedingly different from overall ability to process... given time. Hence the reason why so many borderline pros/perennial backups become coaches in every sport (and conversely, why so many stars suck at coaching).

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Agreed, though, if you'll pardon me, I'd stay away from the words "just not that smart". Speed of processing, plus ability to act on what one processes, is exceedingly different from overall ability to process... given time. Hence the reason why so many borderline pros/perennial backups become coaches in every sport (and conversely, why so many stars suck at coaching).
Yes, fair observation, and honestly I usually avoid "stupid" and "low IQ" as much as possible. I was just being lazy, here. :laugh:

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple

Without the tools, any hopes would be a non-starter.
Appreciate you acknowledging that.

As to anticipation/response time in hockey situations, you may be right.
But we won't know for sure unless my experiment is run.

Logic says if he runs with the same Ws each known to have the ability to deliver, that would help as to better familiarity = better chemistry.
We may expect that would certainly improve anticipation specifically, which would directly help response time, which would improve performance.

He is always stuck w/the likes of McLeod, or this season's version, Haley.

When he first came up, he played well w/Buch for like 2 games, then AV decided to be prejudicial favoring vets in what he thought was best approach to win now. Buch regressed until now [not saying this was the only reason for the regression, btw].

And just to be clear, guys with different talent levels can all have dif results. I specifically said experiment w/Kreider and pref Zib b'c it is a 2 wsy match.
By that I mean, we see Kreider and Zib have demonstrated chemistry, and Kreider has not been lights out success chemistry wise with several others.
Nieves and Kreider are directly complementary* on paper.
This does not apply across the board as automatic to any given combo.

* for example CK works best w/a pivot who can fully keep up. Boo checks this box. Ditto being def responsible, having good passing, etc.

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
Without the tools, any hopes would be a non-starter.
Appreciate you acknowledging that.

As to anticipation/response time in hockey situations, you may be right.

Logic says if he runs with the same Ws each known to have the ability to deliver, that would help as to better familiarity = better chemistry.
We may expect that would certainly improve anticipation specifically, which would directly help response time, which would improve performance.

He is always stuck w/the likes of McLeod, or this season's version, Haley.

When he first came up, he played well w/Buch for like 2 games, then AV decided to be prejudicial favoring vets in what he thought was best approach to win now. Buch regressed until now [not saying this was the only reason for the regression, btw].

And just to be clear, guys with different talent levels can all have dif results. I specifically said experiment w/Kreider and pref Zib b'c it is a 2 wsy match.
By that I mean, we see Kreider and Zib have demonstrated chemistry, and Kreider has not been lights out success chemistry wise with several others.
Nieves and Kreider are directly complementary* on paper.
This does not apply across the board as automatic to any given combo.

* for example CK works best w/a pivot who can fully keep up. Boo checks this box. Ditto being def responsible, having good passing, etc.

I know it's probably stupid to bring up logic here but.....

1. Why would we move our #1 C - Zib - to wing - in favor of Nieves?

2. Chytil is playing like a #1C since he came up. Why would we move him to #3C in favor of Nieves?

I feel it's probably unwise to move our 2 best centers, to make room for a guy who has never proven he can stick on the 4th line of an NHL team, let alone play in the top 9.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
20 goals in how many seasons at the AHL? The screams reason enough.

Why not experiment with Panarin centering Smith and Fast, while we are at it?
Besides the wall of text for the same thing we've seen multiple times each year it was that line about how NOTHING existed evidence wise to go against his views that really annoyed the hell out of me.

I need to learn to have a more chill reaction to people who outright try to change reality and ignore tons of evidence.

I'm going to start today. Thanksgiving resolution.

Let's try it for 1 month. Pray for me, I might give myself a heart attack from swallowing stress.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Am sure there will be another fringe AHLer that will be thought of to have enough synergies with Kreider
Gettinger should center Kreider and Buchnevich. He could create so much space for them. They'd be unstoppable.

It would be like old NHL games where you'd build lines to have a Playmaker, Sniper, and Two-Way Forward. If you built it like that you were golden. Or we could have a Power Forward, Playmaker, and a Grinder. Instant recipe for success. So like, Kreider, Panarin, Smith.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I know it's probably stupid to bring up logic here but.....

1. Why would we move our #1 C - Zib - to wing - in favor of Nieves?

2. Chytil is playing like a #1C since he came up. Why would we move him to #3C in favor of Nieves?

I feel it's probably unwise to move our 2 best centers, to make room for a guy who has never proven he can stick on the 4th line of an NHL team, let alone play in the top 9.

Oh god you're so right...

I need to learn to have a more chill reaction

Let's try it for 1 month. Pray for me, I might give myself a heart attack from swallowing stress.

You'll be dead in a week

Last edited:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013

If I run a simulation 124 times (Or conversely see a player and all their flaws 124 times) and I get the same result every time but 1 or 2...well you can bet I'm sure of the result and the only reason I'd give it a try is if I was really desperate or the results of the simulation start to change significantly

I don't need 100% certainty. I'm good with 99.9999%.

It's like in that one super famous movie where Jim Carrey is told he has a 1 in a million chance and he excitedly exclaims there is still a chance. People laugh at that line bc that character is so blind to how it really is a functionally zero chance of success.

Now imagine he harps on that near zero chance everytime he sees the girl. What's worse is everytime he sees her he goes on a long list of VERY superficial reasons why it COULD work. Imagine how frustrating that would be.

This is what you are doing

Last edited:

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Back on the topic, I thought Gettinger was pretty good in his one game. Nothing mind blowing but he seemed like he could fit in an NHL 4th line longer term is needed.

Reactions: egelband

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The Boo-Kreider thing always gives me a good chuckle since we've had a C that's bigger (same size, more muscle), faster, more offensively skilled, and more defensively proficient in Zibanejad who we already know has a strong history of success with Kreider.

I like Nieves, but c'mon now :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad