Recalled/Assigned: Tim Gettinger to Hartford, Boo Nieves to NYR

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Nieves is a known quantity. If you need a center for the fourth line, he's fine. He's fine defensively, can kill penalties, doesn't contribute much offensively but can present problems with his speed, and can play wing if Quinn wants to get creative.

Reactions: Brooklyn Ranger

Jaromir Jagr

Apr 4, 2015
Long Island, NY
I thought Gettinger played well and I have no idea why he was benched last game in favor of Haley. Mind boggling decisions from this coaching staff. They seem to have no concept how to build a legitimate fourth line.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
If we can get past the fact that Nieves is a former 2nd rounder (a very late one mind you) whose offense never panned out and so will be almost exclusively used as a 4th line center there are some things to like about the player and actually I like him more than McKegg. Boo has better size and is a better skater than McKegg. He is a for real center and the Rangers know him well and the Rangers have used him quite a lot as a penalty killer. While there isn't a lot of offense--he has speed enough where opponents can't exactly take him for granted.

Tim Gettinger FWIW did alright. Those two games along with the four from last year gives me the impression that the Rangers see something there. IMO--he has no reason to be super disappointed. He's getting looks.

I like Boo in the context of the 4th line. McKegg took advantage of opportunity last year with the Canes but on the Rangers he has not look any better than Nieves has.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I like Boo in the context of the 4th line. McKegg took advantage of opportunity last year with the Canes but on the Rangers he has not look any better than Nieves has.

It's not unusual for a 4th liner to look better with one team than with another. They are players who have to find roles in a system and when you're on really good teams it's easier to find your role. That said Nieves has played 70 some games as a Ranger over the past two non-playoff seasons on a not very good team and has somehow managed to be a cumulative + player. He's not great offensively but he's a very responsible player defensively and that's pretty much the same waters that McKegg swims in. Boo is faster, bigger and stronger and more use to playing center.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Lmao, what the hell has Boo done to deserve a callup? He’s been terrible the whole year in HFD. He is not a NHL player and never will be. End this experiment already.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Lmao, what the hell has Boo done to deserve a callup? He’s been terrible the whole year in HFD. He is not a NHL player and never will be. End this experiment already.
I'd be shocked if this was going to be longer than 1 game. Mika's out tonight, McKegg is now out, Andersson has only been in Hartford for 3 games, Boo is the next one up so the NHL team can ice 4 centers

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Lovely side effect of Mika hopefully coming back next game is that we'll have a 4th line that isn't cobbled together scraps. Would love to see a line that can actually play with some chemistry and bring some O-zone pressure, even if they don't score.

Either:

Lemieux-Boo-Smith

or (preferably):

Gettinger-Howden-Smith

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
If we can get past the fact that Nieves is a former 2nd rounder (a very late one mind you) whose offense never panned out and so will be almost exclusively used as a 4th line center there are some things to like about the player and actually I like him more than McKegg. Boo has better size and is a better skater than McKegg. He is a for real center and the Rangers know him well and the Rangers have used him quite a lot as a penalty killer. While there isn't a lot of offense--he has speed enough where opponents can't exactly take him for granted.

Tim Gettinger FWIW did alright. Those two games along with the four from last year gives me the impression that the Rangers see something there. IMO--he has no reason to be super disappointed. He's getting looks.

I have said if Gettinger can skate well enuf, he'd be an awesome 4th line RW, punishing. He deserves to be here over Smith who shows some grit occasionally and that is it. Brendan is a defensive liability.

IMO your assessment of Boo is accurate as to what is not in a vacuum.
I maintain he can fit in a formula with others in a correct use in that formula:
driver of play/possession (Kreider) - facilitator (Boo) - finisher (Zib)

Chemistry is a fragile intangible, but it is real when it presents itself.
If Nieves plays with Kreider whichever line it is [presumably 2nd line w/Kakko dropping CK from 1LW to 2LW], with the correct scoring finisher, I have no doubt what looks to be on paper would work on the ice.

Joking about past comments aside for a second, I’m actually a little surprised that Nieves hasn’t stuck a fourth liner yet.
Nieves is a victim of numbers and politics.
Not only him.
But him more so than others.

Most are not getting their mins b'c the team has to continue to trim excess and get down to a real, lean core.
First, was legit need to give Hayes, Zuc mins so they get totals buildup maxing trade return.
Then, we didn't move guys like Namest. fast enough. I get we had no choice to give JT Miller for him, and common sense said, ok, an extended look. But that done, he should have been moved earlier.
Smith's sorry ass def shouldn't be here at all.
On the F side of things, we should be selling high on Buch, Strome, etc we are not giving those guys 5-6 yrs at 5m+ per. Sell high.
This means Andersson, Howden and Nieves among others get min mins. Boo is not getting time to showcase himself at any line.

As to political, arguably Rangers have been close to fair w/Nieves in all ways but one critical and overriding: quality of linemates, which limits what he can do.
While Lias deserves credit for big improvement on skating, but it is NOW only adequate by NHL level. Yet he's played w/Kreider, Zib, Panarin. And he gets that treatment b'c they don't want to admit he was a massive overreach at 7OA.
Nieves? 4th liners usually likes of McLeod, a good contributor def and intangibles, but a black hole scoring wise.

There is ZERO reason to not TRY the experiment I've pushed.
Adequate trial period, with correct linemates Kreider +.
If it doesn't work, for whatever reason, it will not be the first time someone tried something new and it failed.
BUT ZERO reason to not try.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I have said if Gettinger can skate well enuf, he'd be an awesome 4th line RW, punishing. He deserves to be here over Smith who shows some grit occasionally and that is it. Brendan is a defensive liability.

IMO your assessment of Boo is accurate as to what is not in a vacuum.
I maintain he can fit in a formula with others in a correct use in that formula:
driver of play/possession (Kreider) - facilitator (Boo) - finisher (Zib)

Chemistry is a fragile intangible, but it is real when it presents itself.
If Nieves plays with Kreider whichever line it is [presumably 2nd line w/Kakko dropping CK from 1LW to 2LW], with the correct scoring finisher, I have no doubt what looks to be on paper would work on the ice.

Nieves is a victim of numbers and politics.
Not only him.
But him more so than others.

Most are not getting their mins b'c the team has to continue to trim excess and get down to a real, lean core.
First, was legit need to give Hayes, Zuc mins so they get totals buildup maxing trade return.
Then, we didn't move guys like Namest. fast enough. I get we had no choice to give JT Miller for him, and common sense said, ok, an extended look. But that done, he should have been moved earlier.
Smith's sorry ass def shouldn't be here at all.
On the F side of things, we should be selling high on Buch, Strome, etc we are not giving those guys 5-6 yrs at 5m+ per. Sell high.
This means Andersson, Howden and Nieves among others get min mins. Boo is not getting time to showcase himself at any line.

As to political, arguably Rangers have been close to fair w/Nieves in all ways but one critical and overriding: quality of linemates, which limits what he can do.
While Lias deserves credit for big improvement on skating, but it is NOW only adequate by NHL level. Yet he's played w/Kreider, Zib, Panarin. And he gets that treatment b'c they don't want to admit he was a massive overreach at 7OA.
Nieves? 4th liners usually likes of McLeod, a good contributor def and intangibles, but a black hole scoring wise.

There is ZERO reason to not TRY the experiment I've pushed.
Adequate trial period, with correct linemates Kreider +.
If it doesn't work, for whatever reason, it will not be the first time someone tried something new and it failed.
BUT ZERO reason to not try.

On a board full of people desperately clinging to conspiracies and wild hopes that fly in the face of all evidence it's posts like this that truly shine. Please though, before you post this logic gore mini novel, can you provide a content warning? I did not have a trash can near me and projectile vomited all over the floor as a result of reading this.

You saw Boo was called up and excitedly came here to write all of this just to remind us that you like the idea of Boo with Kreider. I haven't seen this much filler since Naruto

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
On a board full of people desperately clinging to conspiracies and wild hopes that fly in the face of all evidence it's posts like this that truly shine. Please though, before you post this logic gore mini novel, can you provide a content warning? I did not have a trash can near me and projectile vomited all over the floor as a result of reading this.

You saw Boo was called up and excitedly came here to write all of this just to remind us that you like the idea of Boo with Kreider. I haven't seen this much filler since Naruto

You wanna be negative on me 'cause I refuse to capitulate to the herd, that is your free speech right. But use of that right does not mean it is with merit by fiat.

There is no evidence to the contrary. Nieves has not been given shifts the same way Lias has with higher end F linemates, which would up his offensive production and stats, and enhance his overall status.

Let's get the actual facts right, shall we?

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
You wanna be negative on me 'cause I refuse to capitulate to the herd, that is your free speech right. But use of that right does not mean it is with merit by fiat.

There is no evidence to the contrary. Nieves has not been given shifts the same way Lias has with higher end F linemates, which would up his offensive production and stats, and enhance his overall status.

I'm negative on your idea bc of how over the top irrational, long winded and attention seeking it is.

There's tons of evidence to the contrary.

And I've said this repeatedly. I LIKE Boo. He HAS worked in small doses. But he does not do enough consistently yet on all ends of the ice. Maybe he gets there. He's not there yet. You're going way overboard to the point that it's annoying. Stop posting the same idea in novel form over and over

What were you thinking? If you said"Well we should just TRY it! I'm not wrong if I say we should just TRY it" that we'd all pat you on the head and tell you you're right?

"we could at least try x" is the lowest bar imaginable for technically being right. Congrats, you're right in the most inconsequential manner possible.

Try it bc he's fast and we're throwing shit at a wall hoping it sticks. His play on the ice damn sure doesn't warrant it and in all your incessant badgering you never once broke down what it is that ACTUALLY works about them. It's all just mythical "chemistry". You don't want to put any effort into actually proving it so why would we take it as anything but a joke? It's like Ancient Aliens

I would actually be really thrilled if he DID work. I'd get such a kick out of it. What I DONT get a kick out of is seeing that crap wall of text about this same thing all over again. It's like walking a mile in a small circle. All that and you never even left the same spot.

Last edited:

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Well it's probably not going to be a thing anymore as Boo will likely be gone after the season. Also, probably Kreider.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Bern, Homie, Home Skillet, Buddy....

The guy has 20 career goals in the AHL.

Over five seasons.

And 124 games.

Going back to 2011, Nieves has never scored more than 10 goals in a season at any level at which he's played.

Whatever his path may include, a scoring forward in the NHL is not part of that journey.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Joking about past comments aside for a second, I’m actually a little surprised that Nieves hasn’t stuck a fourth liner yet.

You would think a guy with that size / speed combo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad