Confirmed with Link: Tim Bernhardt Parts Ways With Coyotes

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Coyotes aren’t the only team that liked Strome, he was consensus number 3, 4 at the latest if you put Marner ahead of him. I don’t blame Maloney for that. I do think Maloney had a conservative scoring philosophy that favored ex-NHLers sons and the OHL. Maloney was effective at working inside the box but was too conservative to go outside. The moves your seeing now is all Chakya. Remember Keller was a Chakya pick and is fairly similar to Marner. I suspect Marner would have struggled under Tippet.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Dylan Strome is still in his first-ever NHL season.

I think everyone should keep that in mind.
Hopefully Tocchet and Chayka have this perspective. Hopefully they’ll be patient and more importantly give him the he opportunities he needs to grow and succeed. If they’re both just going to sabotage him, I hope they trade him and be done with it. The 2nd PP time is great. Skating on the 4th line with Cousins and Archibald is not acceptable. Not if they’re going to expect results.

If the plan is to break him in on the 4th line and give him PP time to develop with zero expectation for 5v5 production and he’s not actually being held accountable for his lack of production, than that’s great. I just wish we knew.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Skating on the 4th line with Cousins and Archibald is not acceptable. Not if they’re going to expect results.

I guess it depends on what results they're expecting. Cousins and Archibald aren't anyone's idea of superstars or, indeed, top-6 forward material. What Cousins does have, though, is hustle and drive - something that from what I've seen of Strome so far, the kid lacks a bit. Some guys come into the league deserving a top-6 berth from the get-go. I don't think Strome is one of those guys. He's going to need seasoning, and he's got to learn to push in all areas of his game. Maybe it's just me, but the fact that he's still a stick of a kid without any noticeable meat on his bones tells me that he hasn't quite learned that lesson yet.

If he doesn't learn the lesson here, it'd suck - that happens, though. Some guys don't get it until their second, third, or fourth team. Some guys never really get it (I'm looking at you, Duclair), and they end up looking at hockey from the other side of the world - if they stick at all.

The common denominator is time. For all but about 2-3% of the NHL's players, it takes time to see what a guy's got.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Could be, but it's not only Marner. It's basically the entire 1st round has outperformed Strome by a huge margin.

There are only 6 first-rounders after Strome who I would not take over Strome, and I'm including Merkley.

Maloney passing on Hamilton/Wennberg+8+Rychel/three Boston 1sts has easily become his biggest mistake as GM.
Fun fact, the top 11 players in that draft have all become solid NHL'ers except for two...Dylan Strome and Lawson Crouse.
#CoyoteLuck

Reactions: Llama19

rt

May 13, 2004
I guess it depends on what results they're expecting. Cousins and Archibald aren't anyone's idea of superstars or, indeed, top-6 forward material. What Cousins does have, though, is hustle and drive - something that from what I've seen of Strome so far, the kid lacks a bit. Some guys come into the league deserving a top-6 berth from the get-go. I don't think Strome is one of those guys. He's going to need seasoning, and he's got to learn to push in all areas of his game. Maybe it's just me, but the fact that he's still a stick of a kid without any noticeable meat on his bones tells me that he hasn't quite learned that lesson yet.

If he doesn't learn the lesson here, it'd suck - that happens, though. Some guys don't get it until their second, third, or fourth team. Some guys never really get it (I'm looking at you, Duclair), and they end up looking at hockey from the other side of the world - if they stick at all.

The common denominator is time. For all but about 2-3% of the NHL's players, it takes time to see what a guy's got.
Again, as long as Tocchet and Chayka are taking this view, I’m fine with it. If the expectations put on Strome are simply to adapt to the NHL game slowly and show gradual improvement and work on strength and conditioning, then great! If the expectation is that he’s supposed to go out and produce, they should just trade him. He’s not going to put up any points 5v5 playing shit minutes with Cousins and Archibald.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Dylan Strome is still in his first-ever NHL season.

I think everyone should keep that in mind.

Change Dylan Strome to John Doe. Completely ignore the history attached to the name. What is this player?

This player is:
- 21 years old
- technically still a rookie entering his first full NHL season
- 6'3 center
- plus on faceoffs
- plus plus passer
- not a defensive liability
- dirt cheap ELC contract
- not worth much in trade
- prolific producer in minor leagues prior to this, PPG in AHL as a 1C
- agreeable to coaching/the room (as far as we know)
- room to grow physically in terms of strength

When you look at Dylan Strome, you can't see the wasted #3 overall pick. You have to look at him as a random waiver claim, because the two have the same utility to the team. At the end of the day, what matters right now is what he brings to the table. The competition is not between him and Marner. That's a meta discussion teams have about their scouts and HF posters piss each other off with. The competition is between Strome and the worst forward on the roster. Clearly, he's not the worst, so there is no reason to waive, trade, or otherwise get rid of this player. There is really no asset I can think of that he'd handily fetch that would be worth more over the next 5 years. The last thing the Coyotes need is another mid round pick or a Panik style dump in exchange for Strome.

Let it ride, for better or worse. I like watching him get better every game, even if it's obvious he doesn't have the endurance necessary for his skating style or the strength you expect from someone his size. The talent is still so obviously there. He isn't hurting anything being on the roster.

People - possibly including John Chayka - are very anchored around what Dylan Strome was supposed to be instead of what utility he has now. There is nothing wrong with this player.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
The comments surrounding prioritizing a C that we made about Hayton in June sound remarkably similar to the comments made about Strome who was selected just as Chayka came on board to management. Both referenced the only way to acquire a 1C was through the draft. I have to believe that Chayka was involved in the philosophy behind Strome’s pick.

I grew worried when I caught an interview with Maloney in the summer after Ryan Strome’s 20 goal season and how he was complimentary on Ryan’s emergence as a C in the NHL. He assumed that Ryan was going to continue this trend and instead within the year he was sent down to the A and he’s never been able to enshrine himself as a top 2C.

I like Dylan. I ranked him at 5 his draft year. I think he’s going to be a nhl player for many years. He’s currently on pace for 25 points this year. I think he could still hit 35-40 points this season in the right situation. I think it’s worth playing out while Dvorak is on the mend.

Reactions: Jakey53

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The comments surrounding prioritizing a C that we made about Hayton in June sound remarkably similar to the comments made about Strome who was selected just as Chayka came on board to management. Both referenced the only way to acquire a 1C was through the draft. I have to believe that Chayka was involved in the philosophy behind Strome’s pick.

Chayka endorsed the Strome pick. Every mathematical study you could do would tell you Strome was the safer pick. His numbers in combination with his size put him in a very special cohort projection wise. Spezza was his low end IIRC. He can still reach that if he fills out, gets some decent development in his calves, that sort of thing. When you see him without gear on it's really clear he is nowhere near tapped out in terms of physical potential.

I think he's a hard gainer (maybe the whole family is) in combination with a late start to serious weight training. I expect him to add 10-15 more pounds over the next 3 years, which is a reasonable expectation. He could be a hell of a player at 215+

They should honestly toss him on a line with Crouse and Merkley once healthy. Playing with house money with all 3. Nothing to lose.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
He can still reach that if he fills out, gets some decent development in his calves, that sort of thing. When you see him without gear on it's really clear he is nowhere near tapped out in terms of physical potential.

Was watching the Yotes instagram for their golf charity event and it's actually embarrassing how thin and gangly he looks. Legit looks like an 18yo highschooler who has never hit the gym

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Three more years is a long time to wait for Strome to hit his ideal weight.

If Dvorak is healthy right now, is Strome in Tucson?

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Strength gains are made in the off-season. Players actually lose mass during season due to lack of gym time.
Strome needs an off-season in Toronto with Gary Roberts.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
It should be noted though that players are trending away from purely leg workouts in regards to skating explosiveness. They are generating much more of the power out of the core so a lot of guys don't have quads as big as older hockey players. I remember an interview with Jagr and him remarking on that and how large quads can negatively impact agility

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Strength gains are made in the off-season. Players actually lose mass during season due to lack of gym time.
Strome needs an off-season in Toronto with Gary Roberts.

This is one change that surprised me with the "new" (for me) NHL. Now it is much more about speed, quickness and agility than bulk. Back in the days players were much more beefed up than now. My brother has worked with quite a few NHL players and I was surprised when he told me. I'm from the days when the players really tried to put on muscle mass, but then they always had problems with groin injuries and muscle tears and the like. Having said that, I agree something feels off with Strome's conditioning, he does seem to need more strength in general and more explosiveness and probably work on his balance.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Hopefully Tocchet and Chayka have this perspective. Hopefully they’ll be patient and more importantly give him the he opportunities he needs to grow and succeed. If they’re both just going to sabotage him, I hope they trade him and be done with it. The 2nd PP time is great. Skating on the 4th line with Cousins and Archibald is not acceptable. Not if they’re going to expect results.

If the plan is to break him in on the 4th line and give him PP time to develop with zero expectation for 5v5 production and he’s not actually being held accountable for his lack of production, than that’s great. I just wish we knew.
Its not his 5 on 5 production, that will be fine, he won't be judged harshly for that. Its his all around play without the puck 5 on 5, he needs to be better.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Change Dylan Strome to John Doe. Completely ignore the history attached to the name. What is this player?

This player is:
- 21 years old
- technically still a rookie entering his first full NHL season
- 6'3 center
- plus on faceoffs
- plus plus passer
- not a defensive liability
- dirt cheap ELC contract
- not worth much in trade
- prolific producer in minor leagues prior to this, PPG in AHL as a 1C
- agreeable to coaching/the room (as far as we know)
- room to grow physically in terms of strength

When you look at Dylan Strome, you can't see the wasted #3 overall pick. You have to look at him as a random waiver claim, because the two have the same utility to the team. At the end of the day, what matters right now is what he brings to the table. The competition is not between him and Marner. That's a meta discussion teams have about their scouts and HF posters piss each other off with. The competition is between Strome and the worst forward on the roster. Clearly, he's not the worst, so there is no reason to waive, trade, or otherwise get rid of this player. There is really no asset I can think of that he'd handily fetch that would be worth more over the next 5 years. The last thing the Coyotes need is another mid round pick or a Panik style dump in exchange for Strome.

Let it ride, for better or worse. I like watching him get better every game, even if it's obvious he doesn't have the endurance necessary for his skating style or the strength you expect from someone his size. The talent is still so obviously there. He isn't hurting anything being on the roster.

People - possibly including John Chayka - are very anchored around what Dylan Strome was supposed to be instead of what utility he has now. There is nothing wrong with this player.
Strome is by far the worst defensive player on the roster, its not close, that is why he is on the 4th line and has been scratched once this year. Other than that, I agree with Strome being young, we should ride him out, and wouldn't get much for him anyway.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Exactly how I feel. For weeks, I've believed it was the development plan.

With the recent rumour that he's being shopped, I believe someone with a very short life line is calling the shots.

Last edited:

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Strome has relied upon his smarts and athletic ability to get him to this point, he is still pencil thin if you see him in person, he doesn't look like someone who has worked out. That tells me he just isn't working hard enough in the offseason, probably because he was focused on his skating, which still needs a little work, but what he needs now more than anything is some strength and balance in order to compete in the battles.

I have faith that Strome will become a 60pt Center who gets 25+ goals a season...and I believe he will get that as soon as next season if he does what he needs to do in the off season. If he doesn't show that next season then I'm willing to cut him loose.

Btw, for all of you that are following Duclair, he's getting less and less minutes. He was down to less than 10 min the last game, so even though he has something like 6 or 7 goals, he is still playing Anthony's way. It won't be long before he is a healthy scratch and then regulated off the team or permanently in the pressbox.

The kid has unbelievable goal scoring ability, but isn't willing to do what the coaches want, so he will find himself sometime within the next couple years playing overseas.

Domi is having a great season...and maybe whatever was wrong with his hand/wrist is no longer an issue and I'm happy for him, but there is "no way" he'd be producing at the rate he is if he were a Coyote plain and simple. Chucky brings a unique skill on the PP and if you haven't noticed, our PP has gone from bottom 3 to top 17 and we're climbing and I believe that with Chucky in the lineup our PP is above 20%. His shot opens up the ice on the PP and we're getting better looks even though the PP as a whole looks discombobulated.

He might have been working on his skating, but what does he expect to advance to a higher level? How long does it take to go through skating? A gym routine should be built in and required for these guys and not just during the season.

Lilhoody

Nov 25, 2016
Peoria, AZ
It should be noted though that players are trending away from purely leg workouts in regards to skating explosiveness. They are generating much more of the power out of the core so a lot of guys don't have quads as big as older hockey players. I remember an interview with Jagr and him remarking on that and how large quads can negatively impact agility

Skipping leg day isn't his problem. @ctwin22 is correct, in person he is very slight. He looks like he could go by dope in HS, ala 21 Jump Street.

rt

May 13, 2004
Chychrun isn’t exactly bulky. He’s still fairly thin. He’s just extremely strong. Nik Hjalmarsson isn’t Stacie duo with muscles, either. He works on what he needs to work on the be sturdy and strong. It’s not about bulking up. That’s a mistake. You lose mobility that way. But guys can get stronger from hard work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad