Confirmed with Link: Tim Bernhardt Parts Ways With Coyotes

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Eeeeh... Maybe he didn't love our draft board either. Not encouraging when the head scout and GM-wünderkind aren't on the same page.

Reactions: Jakey53

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Interesting. Our drafting really seemed to turn around under Bernhardt, this makes me nervous.

Doesn't the timing seem strange? Wouldn't you want to make this change a month or so before the draft, not after it?

Last edited:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
This is a major mistake.

Impossible to say without more detail

Bernhardt took the drafts from skeleton crew bloodline mess to something approaching coherent. I don't think he's a particularly special talent evaluator.

Reactions: ck26

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I wonder if Tippett will recruit Bernhardt to Seattle as he did Arizona.

Hofford hasn't been named the replacement (yet), but I never realized the number of Coyotes players who have ties to his company/hockey camps:

Strome, Crouse, Capobianco
2015 NHL DRAFT

Chychrun, Dineen
2016 NHL DRAFT

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Nothing to worry about here. Chayka and Barroway are slowly but surely replacing pieces that did a good job keeping us afloat, but that don’t necessarily have the ability to do much to push us forward to the next level. Bernhardt did some solid things and was good at his job but Chayka seems to believe that Hofford is the guy to push us forward and build out a great staff with the philosophy and vision they have going forward. Seems all good to me...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Bernhardt may or may not have been the one tipping the Coyotes hand to a certain hockey journalist every year. I can't imagine Chayka being too thrilled with that (if it did happen, wink wink).

Good rumor fodder but I doubt it...

Bernhardt was pretty much running the scouting department show until Chayka brings in Hofford and puts him over Bernhardt.

I doubt after all that time being large and in charge Bernhardt was going to be happy with someone else (who’s got his own plans that fit Chayka’s plans better) suddenly between him and Chayka calling the shots.

Doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Bernhardt may or may not have been the one tipping the Coyotes hand to a certain hockey journalist every year. I can't imagine Chayka being too thrilled with that (if it did happen, wink wink).

Elaborate a bit, if you dont mind. I am unaware of the whole situation in regards to a journalist.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good rumor fodder but I doubt it...

Bernhardt was pretty much running the scouting department show until Chayka brings in Hofford and puts him over Bernhardt.

I doubt after all that time being large and in charge Bernhardt was going to be happy with someone else (who’s got his own plans that fit Chayka’s plans better) suddenly between him and Chayka calling the shots.

Doesn’t take a genius to figure that one out.
Why did Chayka bring in Hofford? Has to be a reason. I thought the scouting dept. has done a real good job the last number of years. More to this than meets the eye.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Why did Chayka bring in Hofford? Has to be a reason. I thought the scouting dept. has done a real good job the last number of years. More to this than meets the eye.

Chayka said so as well..... Chayka also feels Hofford is an upgrade.

“We appreciate Tim and what he did for us,” Chayka said. “He did a lot of good things, he set a foundation for us, he’s done it a long time and he’s a really good person.

“We’re always continuing to look to evolve and try to get better. Our results have been good but we want them to be the best. I brought in [assistant GM/director of scouting] Lindsay Hofford to oversee the entire scouting staff and build out a methodology and philosophy and find the best people to fit that philosophy. With where Tim was at in his career and life, this initiative wasn’t something he was looking for.”

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad