Confirmed with Link: Tim Bernhardt Parts Ways With Coyotes

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Doesn't it wind up being known at least 1-2 minutes prior anyhow? NHL Network could have a guy who is sitting right next to the jersey press that puts the player's name on the jersey, and then he radios up to get all of the information ready on player XYZ for the broadcast.

After all, since teams present a jersey to the player, they put the name on there and someone is to find out before the pick is made. Button could have just said, "Be on the lookout for Barrett Hayton," after he gets word that was the name placed on the back of the jersey. I think that he may have known more about our inkling towards Hayton, but at that point, there were a number of players - Zadina, Wahlstrom, Hughes, or an off-the-board pick like Hayton that could have been the pick. Button only mentioned Hayton at the absolute last moment, which makes me think that he will announce once word gets out of the name that was pressed on to the jersey. If Button had talked up Hayton since the moment AZ was on the clock, then I think you have a conspiracy where someone knows our list too intimately.
I was driving when the draft was on and Gambo, a local sports radio guy announced that the Yotes would take Hayton way before we picked him.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I was driving when the draft was on and Gambo, a local sports radio guy announced that the Yotes would take Hayton way before we picked him.

Interesting - didn't think that Gambo was that connected with the team, but shows what I know.

I think the other dynamic is if we were the first team of the top 5 that had Hayton that high up on their list. Let's say teams 1-4 all have Hayton at #5 or lower on their list - not a huge issue, b/c their only option is if Hayton jumped over the 4th ranked prospect on each of those lists, at the very least. If we have Hayton at #2 or #3 on the list, the only way we lose out is if another team decides to trade up ahead of us to take Hayton, and I feel like there would be a ton of chatter surrounding that on its own accord.

Seems like we had a list of the top 7-8 players that had been discussed, and maybe some media members knew that a player was high on the list. I think rt was the one who said that it sounded like Hayton was #3 on our list. So, if our list consisted of:

1. Dahlin (taken by BUF)
2. Svechnikov (taken by CAR)
3. Hayton
4. Tkachuk (taken by CAL)
5. Kotkaniemi (taken by MTL)
6. Hughes
7. Zadina

Seems pretty easy to logically conclude that our #3 player on the board will be who we take. The only way that would not be the case is if we had Hayton and Zadina at 3a and 3b, where it was so close that we couldn't distinguish between the two that we have a decision. Otherwise, our decision seems pretty clear-cut.

Reactions: PuckLife

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Look, I thought Barnhardt was fine, but it wasn't like he was exceptional at his job. Here is a list of players drafted in the 3rd round or later?
201814 - Karlsson, Bunting, Mayo, Westlund, Fiegl, Kulda
201815 - Capobianco, Hill, Warren, Looke, Garland, Kallgren
201816 - Dineen, Kudla, Stewart
201817 - Entwistle, Schnarr, Crotty, Hoefenmayer, Karow, Steenbergen, Walterholm
201818 - Jenik, Emberson, Prosvetov, Callahan, Busby, Tendeck, Kirk

Now granted, it would be a little silly to grade him on the 3rd round or later selections the past 2 years as those guys wouldn't actually make it, but here is a list of players that have made the NHL 3rd round or greater in the last 5 years (players that have significant playing time)
201814 - Tryamkin (3rd - 79 gms), Point (4th - 150 gms), Arvidsson (4th - 220 gms), Heinen (4th - 85 gms), Forsling (5th - 79 gms), Lindholm (5th - 60 gms), Bjork (5th - 30 gms), Lebanc (6th - 132 gms), Kase (7th - 119 gms)
201815 - Cirelli (3rd - 18 gms), Malgin (4th - 98 gms), Bear (5th - 18 gms), Simon (5th - 38 gms), Mangiapane (6th - 10 gms), Nutivaara (7th - 127 gms)
201816 - Mete (4th - 49 gms), Bratt (6th - 74 gms), Mamin (6th - 26 gms)
201817 - Aho (5th - 22 gms)

So as far as I can tell, the Coyotes have 'zero' players in that list of gems in the later rounds. Our scouting has been below average for years, Barnhardt has been just slightly better, but he hasn't been somebody who is not replaceable.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Mid-round drafting is beyond total crapshoot. Even your list of nine names from 2014 means that there's at least 141 names picked from the 3rd round and beyond who didn't make it. You can't really come down too hard on someone for not hitting on that 5% chance to draft a keeper in the mid-rounds, especially when the GM has final say.

Frankly, I'd be happy if we get one starter with any pick in the third or beyond a year. Scouting keeps getting better but you still need to manage your exceptions relative to the historical realities of the draft.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Mid-round drafting is beyond total crapshoot. Even your list of nine names from 2014 means that there's at least 141 names picked from the 3rd round and beyond who didn't make it. You can't really come down too hard on someone for not hitting on that 5% chance to draft a keeper in the mid-rounds, especially when the GM has final say.

Frankly, I'd be happy if we get one starter with any pick in the third or beyond a year. Scouting keeps getting better but you still need to manage your exceptions relative to the historical realities of the draft.
Really drives home how lucky they got with Yandle. Of course they eventually f***ed that up but what a 4th round gem!

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
On Spittin Chiclets today they mentioned that Yandle fell in the draft because the night prior to the draft, he beat up a dude who turned out to be the son of a Predators scout.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
On Spittin Chiclets today they mentioned that Yandle fell in the draft because the night prior to the draft, he beat up a dude who turned out to be the son of a Predators scout.
Dude probably thought he was being a funny guy, Yandle doesn't like it when you think you're a funny guy. Ask AJ Pierzynski.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Dude probably thought he was being a funny guy, Yandle doesn't like it when you think you're a funny guy. Ask AJ Pierzynski.

He's not particularly popular in baseball circles either. Dude has a rep a couple decades old.
That whole incident was a disgrace.

This will forever be one of my favorite hockey stories ever. Man I miss Yandle.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
That's not the abnormal part, it's the 4th rounder becoming a stud player that's abnormal.
A Highschool player getting drafted in the 4th round back then wasn't strange. Biz was saying he was CHL Dman of the year, but that was his draft +1 year

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
A Highschool player getting drafted in the 4th round back then wasn't strange. Biz was saying he was CHL Dman of the year, but that was his draft +1 year

If the NTDP had been further along I think Yandle would have been a star in that and drafted higher. Scouting has improved so much in the last 15 years it's crazy. You still miss on the person a lot of the time but it feels like there are fewer genuine gems out there.

Reactions: BeSeeingYouSeattle

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
If the NTDP had been further along I think Yandle would have been a star in that and drafted higher. Scouting has improved so much in the last 15 years it's crazy. You still miss on the person a lot of the time but it feels like there are fewer genuine gems out there.
Internet helps a ton I imagine. Don't just have to happen to have a scout in some random rink in bumf nowhere to see a player

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg

He was the No. 2 guy to Bernhardt and primarily covered the OHL.

So we can probably assume that our scouting advantage in the OHL is over. Oh well, at least we have a good track record of drafting from other leagues. Oh... no, check that. We actually draft really poorly out of almost every other league.

Reactions: Mosby

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
There is definitely a lot of pressure on Hofford to not screw up what was going fairly well. But if he know what he's doing, there's also potential to make it even better.

One change I've noticed is we've hired a shitload of video scouts: Staff

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So we can probably assume that our scouting advantage in the OHL is over. Oh well, at least we have a good track record of drafting from other leagues. Oh... no, check that. We actually draft really poorly out of almost every other league.
This is a down year on OHL eligible guys. This is the year for this to happen if it's any consolation.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There is definitely a lot of pressure on Hofford to not screw up what was going fairly well. But if he know what he's doing, there's also potential to make it even better.

One change I've noticed is we've hired a ****load of video scouts: Staff
I suspect we have hired some stats people to data mine chl games for the individual metrics they view as valuable. They kept mentioning Hayton's underlying numbers regarding things such as zone entries.

I suspect that part of the issue with the traditional scouts is we are removing the gut feel analysis from things. Less subjective analysis and more basing opinions on actual analytics. hayton I see the poster child of this. Right now given the sharp increase of production on Hayton and overall very intelligent 200 foot game I'm not ready to bury him on this; especially given how the C position has been a large reason behind the decade of incompetence in the desert.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
This is a down year on OHL eligible guys. This is the year for this to happen if it's any consolation.
If this was going to happen, this was the year for it. WHL have a huge resurgence in this draft. We ignore that league. I was already a little depressed about that. Maybe we go Dub heavy and clean up?

Reactions: hbk

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I’m hoping some stars align and we end up with Peyton Krebs somehow. What a combination of motor and wheels at center. Not a Dub guy but I like the videos I’ve seen of Nils Hoglander. Reminds me of vintage Sobotka.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I suspect we have hired some stats people to data mine chl games for the individual metrics they view as valuable. They kept mentioning Hayton's underlying numbers regarding things such as zone entries.

I suspect that part of the issue with the traditional scouts is we are removing the gut feel analysis from things. Less subjective analysis and more basing opinions on actual analytics. hayton I see the poster child of this. Right now given the sharp increase of production on Hayton and overall very intelligent 200 foot game I'm not ready to bury him on this; especially given how the C position has been a large reason behind the decade of incompetence in the desert.
Makes sense given all the video scouts mentioned above. Wouldn't be surprised if they are just all watching every CHL game and recording numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad