Online Series: Tiger King (Netflix)

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
There is not a single person who ends up looking good in this.

All of them are scumbags or, at best, total idiots.

I feel like there was more or less a decent person for every crazy/scummy person. Three of Joe's employees (the long-haired head keeper, the girl and the guy with no legs), Rick (the TV guy who tried to make Joe into a reality TV star), Joshua (Joe's campaign manager) and Dillon (the third husband) all seemed relatively normal to me and came out looking all right. You might say that they're idiots because they associated themselves with Joe, but that feels a bit harsh to me. These are jobs and opportunities that they needed, wanted and/or loved, and I wouldn't expect them to give that up just because their boss is a little crazy, especially when they likely didn't realize how crazy. They also likely saw a lot more of Joe's good side than we got to see, enough to stay in spite of the occasional craziness that they did see (and each of them may not have seen all of it).

Reactions: JBeast and OzzyFan

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
The campaign manager is an idiot. He seems like a good enough guy, but he is clearly very dumb with dogmatic positions (that could be argued).

The guy with no legs lost his legs because he did not rehab properly and walked on his badly injured feet.

The girl who lost her arm could have kept it if she had more surgeries. She decided to have it amputated to look tough and go back to work quicker. It is her choice and healthcare costs a lot in the US, but that's not how she justified it.

All of come off as pretty dumb, in my opinion. Not bad people, but dumb asses. Not evil like some of the others, but pretty damn stupid nonetheless.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
The campaign manager is an idiot. He seems like a good enough guy, but he is clearly very dumb with dogmatic positions (that could be argued).

The guy with no legs lost his legs because he did not rehab properly and walked on his badly injured feet.

The girl who lost her arm could have kept it if she had more surgeries. She decided to have it amputated to look tough and go back to work quicker. It is her choice and healthcare costs a lot in the US, but that's not how she justified it.

All of come off as pretty dumb, in my opinion. Not bad people, but dumb asses. Not evil like some of the others, but pretty damn stupid nonetheless.
I felt like the girl with the missing arm had to make a difficult decision. Years of additional painful surgeries or get it over with.

The guy with the prosthetic legs never fully recovered from his injuries Summing up to not doing his rehab was not what I got at all from the doc.

Part of the reason they didn’t leave is they also lived there . It seemed like Joe leveraged people with no other options and didn’t pay them enough to get away.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
I felt like maybe the only person on the entire show that seemed halfway normal was that long haired head zookeeper. He at least seemed to actually be in it because he loved the animals as opposed to pretty much every other person on the show.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The GW Zoo was in small town Oklahoma, it made sense for a couple of them to have a lot of loyalty to Joe. The campaign manager mentioned how Joe was something of an icon of his since he was also gay and Joe was accepting of him. Saff, who was labeled as Kelci is trans, so it makes sense that she would have a lot of loyalty as well. I'm sure the keeper and manager had reasons as well. To me it seemed like Joe was just a charismatic person and he brought in people that were outcasts, so they felt like this was home.

As for Saff choosing to amputate her hand, I have a friend that was born like that and she can live a perfectly normal life, so it's reasonable to not want multiple years of painful surgeries and rehab. And we don't even know what the possibility of success there would have been.

Reactions: chicagoskycam

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
Other than the way the animals were treated, the worst part was probably how everyone in this show either didn’t pay their workers or drastically underpaid them. All organizations that exploit their workers like this should reform or be shut down.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
The GW Zoo was in small town Oklahoma, it made sense for a couple of them to have a lot of loyalty to Joe. The campaign manager mentioned how Joe was something of an icon of his since he was also gay and Joe was accepting of him. Saff, who was labeled as Kelci is trans, so it makes sense that she would have a lot of loyalty as well. I'm sure the keeper and manager had reasons as well. To me it seemed like Joe was just a charismatic person and he brought in people that were outcasts, so they felt like this was home.

As for Saff choosing to amputate her hand, I have a friend that was born like that and she can live a perfectly normal life, so it's reasonable to not want multiple years of painful surgeries and rehab. And we don't even know what the possibility of success there would have been.

To add to her decision to amputate we also don't know exactly what events lead to her getting her arm chomped off by a tiger. There's a difference between Joe running a hazardous workplace vs her doing something boneheaded like sticking her hand in a cage to pet the tiger... which from the circumstantial evidence kind of seems like what happened. If the latter is the case then I see it as a matter of taking responsibility and owning up to her mistake.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Yeah, the wild vs captivity is apples and oranges. Once an animal is in any sort of captivity, that's pretty much where they have to be. Maybe a solution is a "wild" type of space that is fenced and protected, but allows the animals more of a regular life. I know there is stuff going on to make something like that for orcas, not ready yet though. Still best to look at them as separate populations and try to naturally increase the tiger population in the wild, but be mindful of negative consequences. You don't want to ruin existing ecosystems by introducing tigers to them, like we've done with other predators.

I'd add to this, the numbers are pretty skewed because in the wild a tiger needs like a few hundred square kilometers of territory for itself. Or I don't know about every species but recently watched a documentary that did a spot on Siberian tigers and I believe they had a roaming range of like 500-600 square KM. Meanwhile as we see with Joe Exotic, in America you can cram a few hundred tigers in cages onto a few acres.

I would assume that tigers are 'endangered' but not critically, as long as we maintain what habitat they have left.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
I'd add to this, the numbers are pretty skewed because in the wild a tiger needs like a few hundred square kilometers of territory for itself. Or I don't know about every species but recently watched a documentary that did a spot on Siberian tigers and I believe they had a roaming range of like 500-600 square KM. Meanwhile as we see with Joe Exotic, in America you can cram a few hundred tigers in cages onto a few acres.

I would assume that tigers are 'endangered' but not critically, as long as we maintain what habitat they have left.

That seems to be the catch 22. If animals are endangered in the wild it's for one reason or another ("man made" or natural). Obviously it's cheaper and more controlled to do it here than in their natural habitat where success/results will widely vary. So if the extension of a species is only possible through human interference, or in this case human captivity breeding and life long caged habit, should it be done or is it even moral? I'm not picking a side, just stating the conundrum And from the lower end costs to Joe Exotic running a "big cat zoo" with entertainment, which I couldn't get a confirmed accurate number on, to Carole Baskin's Big Cat Resuce which rakes in over $4million per year. I'm not stating how we should allocate money in this country and there are easily worse examples of money spending in North American countries, but that's a lot of coin. lol

Tkachuk4MVP

32 Years of Fail
Apr 15, 2006
San Diego, CA
New episode interviewing all the key players with the exception of Carol was pretty good. They all had teeth now! It was interesting to get their take on how they were depicted in the doc.

Yeah, not the "new episode" I expected but there was some interesting stuff in there. The common theme among everyone was how much of an a-hole Joe was. That horse story was especially cruel.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, it just confirmed what I thought all along. There was way worse stuff that happened. Killing tigers and the other animals once they got past their performing age is a common practice.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Yeah, not the "new episode" I expected but there was some interesting stuff in there. The common theme among everyone was how much of an a-hole Joe was. That horse story was especially cruel.
Well...Joe wasn't involved in the reunion. Of course they are all going to blame and trash him

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sure, but I figured at least one person on that panel would stand up for him, even if it was just slightly.
Some talked about his good qualities and that he shouldn't be in jail until he dies. It really just shows the show and fans were a bit too sympathetic to him. He deserved what he got for all his animal abuse.

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I can't stand him and think he is a terrible person, even if not as bad as Joe.

Yeah, but he should have still been in the follow-up. The people working at the zoo seemed to like him a lot better in Joe. I think Jeff is a DB among other things, but Joe was a narcissistic scum bad that manipulated people and clearly was killing Tigers to make space for money-making cubs.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Sure, but I figured at least one person on that panel would stand up for him, even if it was just slightly.

Kelci: "He fed people for free, a full Thanksgiving dinner that him and his family cooked, y'know, for the entire night prior every single year since I've been there, um, and I've been there almost 10 years. I've seen him give the jacket off his back for people, and I think that wasn't highlighted enough. Joe did a lot of messed up stuff, and that's a fact, and that's shown and now the entire world knows it, but he did a lot of good things, too."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad