Tie Domi On Scott Stevens...

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Stevens fought plenty of times early in his career. In NJ, he was too valuable to take himself off the ice for 5 minutes at a time. Domi should stick to sucker punching.

not for nothing but I recall Scott Stevens fighting everything as a rook playing for the Caps. Think he was wearing a black eye all year. Certainly answered the bell. Man, I wish I could get Domi behind the woodshed. I would show em!

Reactions: Hatfield

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
And if the NHL won't do it, the NHLPA needs to grow a pair and penalize their members. They purport to represent the interests of their players, but missing a few games for an injury that has way longer repercussions is not in the players' interests in the slightest. And the NHLPA, itself, appeals well-deserved suspensions. Unless the money from those appeals goes to the players victimized by dirty hits, it doesn't make any sense to me. A union that eats itself is extremely unlikely to get what it wants in future negotiations.

Totally agree. Unfortunately, like many unions, the NHLPA is not necessarily representative of its members. Only its loudest elements.

Keep in mind that Tom Wilson is currently one of the most influential players in the NHLPA. Take a look at some of the representatives on some teams... it tells you things are not about to change.

You couple that with the DoPS being former concussed fighters and it isn't pretty!

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
It's funny that you say he won titles with Brodeur because when I say Brodeur was the best goalie ever to play, people tell he was only good because he had Scott Stevens in front of him

If I credit anyone for making Brodeur look best-of-all-time good, I'd give it to Niedermayer.

I credit the Devils' scheme more than anything of course.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
If I credit anyone for making Brodeur look best-of-all-time good, I'd give it to Niedermayer.

I've always looked at them as body parts, Niedermayer was the brain Marty was the heart and Stevens was the backbone
individually none was as good as they were together.. you couldn't take 1 away and expect the same results

I'm unsure what you mean by scheme, I assume that means style they played... What people tend to forget is almost everyone tried to mimic the Devils style of play, NJ was just better at it

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015

ehhhhhhhh. Stevens was a better all-around defenceman than Niedermayer. He had a similar progression to Yzerman. People thought he was a 1-D guy until he got older and had to adapt to different situations (a skill for sure). He left in 2005, and some of Brodeur's best years were after that. And Stevens left even sooner. Brodeur actually was killing it in an era where the rules were changed to limit his ability + his team's favourite strategies.

rumrokh

THORBS
Mar 10, 2006
Totally agree. Unfortunately, like many unions, the NHLPA is not necessarily representative of its members. Only its loudest elements.

Keep in mind that Tom Wilson is currently one of the most influential players in the NHLPA. Take a look at some of the representatives on some teams... it tells you things are not about to change.

You couple that with the DoPS being former concussed fighters and it isn't pretty!

And I say that as someone who is extremely pro-union and I've mostly been on the players' side in CBA conflicts. It's a mess.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The fact that the NHL still celebrates Scott Stevens' career is disgusting. The guy was a violent sociopath who embodied the worst hockey had to offer.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
lmfao once again the need to appear on the right side of history prevents people from just acknowledging that things changed.

nah, people like me even back then were like "this can't really be good for the game, can it?"

Shane Willis was going to be a really good player and his career basically ended on a super unnecessary hit and people were laughing and going "welp, should've kept your head up" like brain damage wasn't any big deal.

It was just as messed up then as it is now.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
The fact that the NHL still celebrates Scott Stevens' career is disgusting. The guy was a violent sociopath who embodied the worst hockey had to offer.
This is a perfect example of how people take Steven's top 10 hits in his 20 year career and think he was running around throwing hits like that every single shift.

Reactions: HBK27 and Flair Hay

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Domi just described himself except Scott Stevens didn't suck at hockey, too

Scott Stevens is a better hockey player in every imaginable way but Domi scored more than 100 goals in the NHL with a 15 goal season under his belt and did that as a goon. "Suck(s) at hockey" is a little harsh.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Scott Stevens was a dirty pos, and Domi is right on this one. Stevens played in an era where obstruction and headshots=elite defense. For the era he played in, he was great.

However, his value in today's game would be drastically less than it was back then.

No chance lol this guy was a phenomenal defenseman. He could play in any era and be a top guy.

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Every single one of the big hits that Stevens is known for occurred in the playoffs. He wasn't going around lighting players up like that during the regular season - only in the post season when the stakes were higher and the physical play was ramped up. The Devils certainly didn't want him going to the box for 5 minutes during a playoff game.

Stevens also dropped the gloves with heavyweights enough times in his career that he didn't have anything to prove. He is a Hall of Fame defenseman that didn't need to be sitting in the box for 5 minutes along with some 4th line goon.

That Tie still cant see this after all these years is sad.

People talk about head hunting like it made you an awful person. Back then it was a part of the game.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Scott Stevens is a Hall of Famer and 3 time Cup winning captain. Tie Domi is a disgrace to the game and to himself, exhibit A

The hilarity of that was how the series turned south for the Leafs after that cheapshot by Dummy.

Leafs were actually playing great and had a chance at knocking the Devils out, but then comes along Dummy - lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: SmoggyTwinkles

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Scott Stevens is a Hall of Famer and 3 time Cup winning captain. Tie Domi is a disgrace to the game and to himself, exhibit A

I loved Tie Domi, then instantly hated him for this selfish play.

Note the time left and the score, so unnecessary. The interviewer should have asked him to watch that clip and then try again about talking crap about Scott Stevens.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
The hilarity of that was how the series turned south for the Leafs after that cheapshot by Dummy.

Leafs were actually playing great and had a chance at knocking the Devils out, but then comes along Dummy - lol.

I remember the series well and yes the Leafs were looking good until the next game. Everyone seemed deflated by the Domi thing on the Leafs and for the Devils players it was obviously something to rally around.

Also the most frustrating game 7 I've ever seen the Leafs play in, think they had like 12 shots on goal the whole game or something.

f*** Domi was an a-hole.

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
I remember the series well and yes the Leafs were looking good until the next game. Everyone seemed deflated by the Domi thing on the Leafs and for the Devils players it was obviously something to rally around.

Also the most frustrating game 7 I've ever seen the Leafs play in, think they had like 12 shots on goal the whole game or something.

f*** Domi was an a-hole.

16 shots in the '01 series in game 7

BUT!…. the greatest of all...

6 shots against in the '00 series in game 6…….

3 in the first…..

2 in the second…..

1 in the third……

the countdown to the end of the leafs' season.

glorious

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
That question was posed to Domi on the most recent episode of the Cam And Strick Podcast, where the former hard-hitting forward laid into the Hall of Famer.

“Scott Stevens was the biggest phony I ever played against,” Domi said after a quick chuckle. “Honestly, I chased that guy for years. He was such a phony, it was a joke. Let me put that out there.”

“That guy used to target all the best players on my teams and I always tried to fight him, and he would never fight,” Domi claimed. “He never, ever, answered the bell.

“Him and I ended up on the bench. He was bear-hugging so hard, I said ‘let go, I’m going to beat the s— out of you’ and he wouldn’t let go. He was holding on so tight.

“He was a good hitter, obviously, but he targeted the wrong guys at very vulnerable times and he never answered the bell.

“Scott Stevens, a tough guy? Give me a break.”
I made a thread about Scott Stevens being one of the biggest fake tough guys in the history of the sport, people got butt hurt and the thread was deleted.

The dude couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Everytime he fought a legit tough guy, he held on for dear life. He was really good at blind side hits to the head though (a b*tch move tbh).

Reactions: SwedishFire

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
i agree with domi that stevens is not in same category of player as domi.

but domi has a point. the code definitely had an exemption in those days for guys like stevens. you couldn't just send your craig coxe out to fight messier after he elbowed your guy in the face,.
1. "The Code" doesn't exist.
2. Take a look at Stevens' fight card. Lots of legit heavyweights on there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad