Tie Domi On Scott Stevens...

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020
The rulebook forgot to monitore such bonehead play. Coming third man in is like sucker punch a guy when he is occupied fighting another person.

It's nothing like that at all. A fight has set participants. NHL play is fluid, and sometimes guys get bunched together. Things happen quickly. If the puck is there you may get hit. Nobody is going to let up just because you're engaged with another player or don't see it coming. If the hits clean, then so be it

Reactions: HBK27

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Stevens is ten times the player Domi is, and won't be sucked in to exchanging value on coincidental fighting penalties with a loser of no value like Domi.

Stevens didn't fight a lot, but he has gone toe-to-toe with some fighters of renown. No way he's afraid of a little loud mouth like Domi.

Reactions: AzHawk

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I don't know if this is true or not but I heard that Brodeur sometimes passed the puck to apposing players just so Stevens could destroy them?

Any truth to this or maybe the source?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Several of Steven’s big hits are what I call ”third man in”. Means Stevens hit a player already covered by an opponent. Sometimes Stevens even hit a teammate at same time he hit opponent.

I assume he's talking about the Devils players leading the prey into the predator's territory... sometimes they got caught too

One defender funnels the attacking player into the second defender. Half of Stevens' big hits are like that.

Even Devils fans should be able to admit this happened frequently.. Right or wrong, they did it

it's interesting to think back on it now. at the time, young scott niedermayer was talked about as a genius for delivering puck carriers into stevens' shoulder.

i wonder about the morality of this. it's a play that happens in basketball too, where the wing defender will force the point guard one way and basically steer him right into the arm of some big huge guy. i guess it maybe makes sense to clear up whether we want to say any instance of a defender angling a puck carrier into a big open ice hit is a bad thing, or whether we want to make a distinction between basically daring a guy to try to round the corner but letting him go unimpeded vs interfering with him to prevent him from getting through cleanly.

there are some times when niedermayer or albelin or chambers or whoever gives the puck rusher a tug or maybe a more than a tug and that helps stevens line him up good and clean. and there are other times when a guy just made the wrong move and there was stevens waiting for him.

like shane willis, that's just good positioning by niedermayer. kozlov, well you chose to cut through the middle instead of going wide. but kevyn adams was practically being held by guerin and slid right into stevens' shoulder, ditto langkow by rafalski.

the lindros hit is kind of both for me, he was being hooked by pando but i think with the move he was trying to make he would have gotten destroyed by stevens either way.

Reactions: Eisen

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
the code existed, but it was never rigidly enforced,

99.993% of speeding is not enforced. speeding laws still exist.
Laws that limit speeding are actually approved and written into law by a governing body. The law exists, but may not be enforced.

"The Code" of NHL enforcers is not actually codified anywhere. If it is not written and not enforced, it does not exist. It's a fairytale that man-children tell themselves to pretend that there is some honour to grown men beating each other during a game. If that's how you have to combat the cognitive dissonance, have at it, but doing so on a public forum is counterproductive.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Laws that limit speeding are actually approved and written into law by a governing body. The law exists, but may not be enforced.

"The Code" of NHL enforcers is not actually codified anywhere. If it is not written and not enforced, it does not exist. It's a fairytale that man-children tell themselves to pretend that there is some honour to grown men beating each other during a game. If that's how you have to combat the cognitive dissonance, have at it, but doing so on a public forum is counterproductive.

that last sentence is a doozy. i expected a "good day sir" at the end. i am sorry you are so heavily invested in there being no code to write patronizing crap like that, but i disagree. there are unwritten codes everywhere and they exist whether or not they are ruthlessly followed or adhered to.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Well he's not wrong..Stevens would have no place in the league today since he would be suspended all the time.

Stevens was good enough and smart enough that if he wasn't able to throw massive head hits, he wouldn't have thrown massive head hits. The guy could throw hits without headhunting, he just chose not to. Was he a jerk? I think so, he threw hits to injure, and I think that's a jerk thing to do, but he absolutely would still have made a mark as a player today.

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
1) This wasn’t the latest episode, it was one back in March. The podcast is pretty good. While I’m not some person who is against all cursing, I have to admit Janssen’s constant cursing gets tiresome. He can’t say anything without cursing. I also hate that they have a 90-120 minute podcast but the interviews are usually only 60 minutes. They spend the first 30-60 minutes just chatting about nonsense.

2) His comments just show how ignorant Domi is. Stevens shouldn’t fight Domi as that would just be beneficial for Domi’s team. Stevens was way too valuable, at that point, to be in the box for fighting.

AnInjuredJasonZucker

Feb 21, 2014
that last sentence is a doozy. i expected a "good day sir" at the end. i am sorry you are so heavily invested in there being no code to write patronizing crap like that, but i disagree. there are unwritten codes everywhere and they exist whether or not they are ruthlessly followed or adhered to.
Perhaps you're taking individual principles and mis-applying it to a group, but if it's not written down, it's only followed by some of the people, some of the time, and there is no enforcement or consequence for failing to adhere, then how can it be a code?

"Don't punch a player when they're down on the ice! It's in The Code!"

This happened constantly in the "good old days" of hockey. We're told that they followed the code back then, but the video doesn't back it up.

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Stevens was dirty, early in his career he backed it up. Later in his career he didn't because he felt he was to needed but he still through big questionable at best hit. He should of answered the bell anytime he played Lindros or Karyia's team for those hits alone. I agree with Tie and even though tie had the most fights in nhl history he had his spot picking moments. Like when he ran away from the flyers.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Perhaps you're taking individual principles and mis-applying it to a group, but if it's not written down, it's only followed by some of the people, some of the time, and there is no enforcement or consequence for failing to adhere, then how can it be a code?

"Don't punch a player when they're down on the ice! It's in The Code!"

This happened constantly in the "good old days" of hockey. We're told that they followed the code back then, but the video doesn't back it up.

there was a code and it was followed with plenty of exceptions. guys certainly got away with stuff until they ddn't. some guys made an art of it.

good luck with video. half the time you don't know why violent things happen unless you are at the game. it could have been something that happened at the benches a period earlier or in a previous game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad