Tie Domi On Scott Stevens...

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I made a thread about Scott Stevens being one of the biggest fake tough guys in the history of the sport, people got butt hurt and the thread was deleted.

The dude couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag. Everytime he fought a legit tough guy, he held on for dear life. He was really good at blind side hits to the head though (a b*tch move tbh).
Scott Stevens

I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire Devils organization for destroying your childhood cause our team used the Canadiens like a punching bag to climb into the playoffs year after year.

Hopefully this apology will allow you to move on with your life. Metal health is hard to deal with and creating alternate history to cope might help at first but is dark path to take.

#prayers for Riddum

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Who in the hell is Tie Domi to call out anyone? His elbow on Niedermayer is one of the dirtiest plays in history. And why would Stevens fight Domi? He was a Norris candidate. A top tier player. Domi was Sundin's bodyguard and not much else. The Leafs losing Domi for 5 minutes meant nothing. The devils losing Stevens for 5 minutes was a huge deal.

Domi. Still a dumb ass.

Riddum

Nov 5, 2008
Montreal
Scott Stevens

I would like to apologize on behalf of the entire Devils organization for destroying your childhood cause our team used the Canadiens like a punching bag to climb into the playoffs year after year.

Hopefully this apology will allow you to move on with your life. Metal health is hard to deal with and creating alternate history to cope might help at first but is dark path to take.

#prayers for Riddum
Funny reply but the very first fight in the link you posted... is an example of Stevens fighting a legit tough guy and holding on for dear life

Actually, Stevens would fight Reaves if he had to!
And he would grab on Reaves's jersey, put his head down and refuse to even attempt any significant offense, for fear of getting hit. That's how every single fight against good fighters went.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Funny reply but the very first fight in the link you posted... is an example of Stevens fighting a legit tough guy and holding on for dear life

So now it's not that Stevens wouldn't answer the bell (because he clearly did) but that he was a fake tough guy because he didn't destroy legit heavyweights?

Stevens wasn't an enforcer. He was a very good defenseman and devastating hitter. Him even dropping the gloves with guys who are legit heavyweights is a sign of him answering the bell.

And most of his hits weren't "blindside hits to the head" as you claim.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
So now it's not that Stevens wouldn't answer the bell (because he clearly did) but that he was a fake tough guy because he didn't destroy legit heavyweights?

Stevens wasn't an enforcer. He was a very good defenseman and devastating hitter. Him even dropping the gloves with guys who are legit heavyweights is a sign of him answering the bell.

And most of his hits weren't "blindside hits to the head" as you claim.

it probably isn't worth dignifying with a response, but from what i can tell, the same underinformed opinions that have only seen five highlights of stevens destroying guys with massive hits and thinking that he made the hall of fame by doing this five times a game also have only seen the clips of him fighting probert and lindros and think that all his fights looked like that.

but i'll leave this here anyway because, man, the old norris division am i right?

Reactions: HBK27

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta

And he would grab on Reaves's jersey, put his head down and refuse to even attempt any significant offense, for fear of getting hit. That's how every single fight against good fighters went.

Why are you trying to prove a point that has already been proven as nonsense? He fought a lot of people so saying he "can't fight his way out of a paperbag" is a straight lie.

Scott Stevens Quickie Fight Card

thats a lot of fights for a guy that can't fight out of a paper bag.

Stop humiliating yourself.

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
i agree with domi that stevens is not in same category of player as domi.

but domi has a point. the code definitely had an exemption in those days for guys like stevens. you couldn't just send your craig coxe out to fight messier after he elbowed your guy in the face,.

You're gonna talk about the "code" and Domi in the same sentence?

Tie Domi was the dirtiest POS in the league and a clown. But even if that were not the case it's still a ridiculous comment because the "code" never existed. Its total nonsense.

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
Several of Steven’s big hits are what I call ”third man in”. Means Stevens hit a player already covered by an opponent. Sometimes Stevens even hit a teammate at same time he hit opponent.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Never answered the bell? Sure thing Tie. That's a weird thing to say about a guy with over 100 career fights.

I'm guessing it's more of a function of knowing taking himself off the ice for 5 minutes with Domi is a terrible trade off.

Even in retirement Domi is still a clown.

Notables on Stevens fight card:

Nilan, McRae, Brashear, McCarthy, Manson, Probert...

He literally hung on for dear life against Probert, I don’t think he threw one punch.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta

Wow, it's almost like he was a skilled player, that was paid to put up points and shut down opposing teams best players.... and not a goon??
Who woulda though?

Reactions: AzHawk and HBK27

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
He literally hung on for dear life against Probert, I don’t think he threw one punch.
Right. So Stevens answered the bell with one of the greatest enforcers of all time and held on for dear life? shocking.

As I said before, Stevens wasn't an enforcer but he dropped the gloves many times and with several heavyweights.

To claim he never answered the bell is simply wrong.

Last edited:

Lazlo Hollyfeld

Mar 4, 2004
Several of Steven’s big hits are what I call ”third man in”. Means Stevens hit a player already covered by an opponent. Sometimes Stevens even hit a teammate at same time he hit opponent.
Agreed. And this kind of thing still goes on today (see: Tom Wilson).

I do wonder if at some point the NHL will implement a rule where you can't crush a guy when he's already engaged with another player. A 3rd man in rule for hitting.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
That question was posed to Domi on the most recent episode of the Cam And Strick Podcast, where the former hard-hitting forward laid into the Hall of Famer.

“Scott Stevens was the biggest phony I ever played against,” Domi said after a quick chuckle. “Honestly, I chased that guy for years. He was such a phony, it was a joke. Let me put that out there.”

“That guy used to target all the best players on my teams and I always tried to fight him, and he would never fight,” Domi claimed. “He never, ever, answered the bell.

“Him and I ended up on the bench. He was bear-hugging so hard, I said ‘let go, I’m going to beat the s— out of you’ and he wouldn’t let go. He was holding on so tight.

“He was a good hitter, obviously, but he targeted the wrong guys at very vulnerable times and he never answered the bell.

“Scott Stevens, a tough guy? Give me a break.”

I didn't like Scott Stevens - but he played within the current rules of the game at that time. He contributed 10x more to the Devils by being on the ice rather than by getting taken off the ice for 5 minutes by a talentless hack like Domi.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Scott Stevens: 25 minute a night top pairing Dman, 13 time all-star, 3 time cup champion, HoF'er.
Tie Domi: Plug.

I wonder why the guy wouldn't fight you? 5 minutes is literally more than half the minutes Domi would actually play on the ice on any given night.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
You're gonna talk about the "code" and Domi in the same sentence?

Tie Domi was the dirtiest POS in the league and a clown. But even if that were not the case it's still a ridiculous comment because the "code" never existed. Its total nonsense.

the code existed, but it was never rigidly enforced,

99.993% of speeding is not enforced. speeding laws still exist.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Stevens was a great player in a different game and era. Why is it people take the context of the world and games today and try to establish what these people are vs the context at the time. If Stevens could change a series by hurting a player with a devastating hit he would and could do it. And it worked and was celebrated by many.

Scott Stevens was like Shea Weber with an incentive to target players heads. The culture of the time was punching in the head and hitting the head when players heads were down. You could even be the cover guy for the next rock em sock em tape if you did it well. But he could and would be a stud in any era. Guy could play. That's a fact

As far as Domi? He was good at being a goon. Other than that he would have never played a game today with his abilities. Thankfully the league has moved on from enforcers as it basically dragged the game down to the lowest common denominator which was often horrible hockey and stupidness.

Domi calling players out for the way they played or not fighting him is comical. A 1 for 1 exchange with the worst player on the ice is not a smart trade off independant of the fact he was pretty damn tough. Domi sucked and had no problem hurting people and doing it illegally. It's not like he had some higher moral ground. He's obviously taken too many hits to the head.

Reactions: Beukeboom Fan

hacksaw7

Dec 3, 2020

Not sure what you mean

And yes sometimes teammates to get caught up in hits...not just Stevens checks. It's inadvertent. Happens. Rare but it happens

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Not sure what you mean

And yes sometimes teammates to get caught up in hits...not just Stevens checks. It's inadvertent. Happens. Rare but it happens

I assume he's talking about the Devils players leading the prey into the predator's territory... sometimes they got caught too

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
It
Not sure what you mean

One defender funnels the attacking player into the second defender. Half of Stevens' big hits are like that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->