Tie Domi On Scott Stevens...

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
That question was posed to Domi on the most recent episode of the Cam And Strick Podcast, where the former hard-hitting forward laid into the Hall of Famer.

“Scott Stevens was the biggest phony I ever played against,” Domi said after a quick chuckle. “Honestly, I chased that guy for years. He was such a phony, it was a joke. Let me put that out there.”

“That guy used to target all the best players on my teams and I always tried to fight him, and he would never fight,” Domi claimed. “He never, ever, answered the bell.

“Him and I ended up on the bench. He was bear-hugging so hard, I said ‘let go, I’m going to beat the s— out of you’ and he wouldn’t let go. He was holding on so tight.

“He was a good hitter, obviously, but he targeted the wrong guys at very vulnerable times and he never answered the bell.

“Scott Stevens, a tough guy? Give me a break.”

MakoSlade

Nov 17, 2005
New York City
Scott Stevens is a Hall of Famer and 3 time Cup winning captain. Tie Domi is a disgrace to the game and to himself, exhibit A

I remember the Devils rallied big time after that sucker elbow. Domi totally took all momentum away from Toronto and handed it right to the Devils. I remember fondly how the Devils crushed Toronto those last two games.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
It is funny how "answering the bell" is now considered traditional, supposedly an old time practice. But I remember the 90s pretty well and I don't remember it being expected to fight after every big hit. You didn't have to fight if you didn't want to. You could just knock a guy out and skate away.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Domi probably isn't the guy to be calling other guys out, but I do believe him. Stevens is a disgrace. Late and dirty predatory hitter. Great to watch if you were a Devils fan I'm sure, but just ugly what he did to some guys.

lmfao once again the need to appear on the right side of history prevents people from just acknowledging that things changed.

Kalamazoo Wings

May 4, 2010
Knee Deep
lmfao once again the need to appear on the right side of history prevents people from just acknowledging that things changed.

Keep laughing. Whatever you say, I'm not trying to appear to be anything. I know the game has changed but people still weren't pulling the shit he was. I don't like butter soft like the NHL has become but things like that hit on Kariya in 03 SCF was the epitome of the loser Stevens was. Head hunting, predatory dirty player. Was then and is even moreso now if you apply his game to newer standards.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Sweet how those enforcers really stopped those big hits/cheap shots, huh?

Yup,

One of the most ridiculous myths in the history of the sport, continually brought up by people who miss rosters like the 95 Kings and 99 Hawks.

I'm cool with heat of the moment fighting like in today's game, happy to be beyond rosters like those though.

Last edited:

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
That question was posed to Domi on the most recent episode of the Cam And Strick Podcast, where the former hard-hitting forward laid into the Hall of Famer.

“Scott Stevens was the biggest phony I ever played against,” Domi said after a quick chuckle. “Honestly, I chased that guy for years. He was such a phony, it was a joke. Let me put that out there.”

“That guy used to target all the best players on my teams and I always tried to fight him, and he would never fight,” Domi claimed. “He never, ever, answered the bell.

“Him and I ended up on the bench. He was bear-hugging so hard, I said ‘let go, I’m going to beat the s— out of you’ and he wouldn’t let go. He was holding on so tight.

“He was a good hitter, obviously, but he targeted the wrong guys at very vulnerable times and he never answered the bell.

“Scott Stevens, a tough guy? Give me a break.”
Are you time traveler?

That quote from Domi, from that same podcast, hit the internet in March 2000. I didn’t listen to it but that was quoted and reported back then so either it’s not new or Domi is repeating himself.

Is there a reason you say “the most recent episode of the Cam And Strick Podcast“ when it’s not recent? And is there a reason you don’t provide a link from the article you copy and pasted all that from?

Tie Domi on Scott Stevens: 'The biggest phony I ever played against' - Sportsnet.ca

Gjman2019

Dec 6, 2017
I just copied and pasted it from an article, even the part at the top that isn't in quotation marks......Just looking to see what people thought of it.....Didn't think it was necessary to post a link and even though the youtube file is dated from March 2020 , it's the first time i heard it....

lawrence

May 19, 2012
POS or not, a star player like Stevens will not fight a player as low as Domi. The trade off is not worth it for the Devils. Devils lose a top pairing dman, Leafs lose a 4th line fighter. Of course he wouldn't fight him.

Domi probably isn't the guy to be calling other guys out,

Domi is useless 4th line plug who taunts and harrases other teams top players. He too has a history pulling this shit. I do give some props to him for being a tough as hell 5'10 guy. But still. He is literally a POS.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Pot calling the kettle black.

Domi couldn't get off the ice fast enough after cheap-shotting Niedermayer and Stevens was calling him out.

Your memory fails you. Stevens was in the penalty box when that happened. I still remember him banging the glass and yelling from the box. Easy to do when you're held back by glass and wood, not so easy when you're out on the ice and Stevens never did squat afterwards in any games they played each other.

I despise Tie Domi but he's right on this one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad