OT: Ticket Thread - 2019/20 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I'm going into Boston today from the Cape. Leaving at 2pm. Bringing $1500 cash for one ticket. What should my plan be?

Yeah definitely spend that on one of the resale sites its around what the cheapest ticket is right now I wouldn't trust anyone selling outside almost guaranteed to be a scam.

Reactions: PlayoffBeard365

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T PAY CASH

One ticket you will get a decent shot at Ticketmaster, Ace or Stub Hub and using a credit card you have protection.

That is good advice.

Maybe one exception to the no craigslist rule is to get the seller to walk through the gates with you and then hand over the cash. But I'd still recommend the legit resale sites over craigslist.

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm going into Boston today from the Cape. Leaving at 2pm. Bringing $1500 cash for one ticket. What should my plan be?

I would echo the sentiment from bossfan and Fenway. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT feed the scalpers! This has nothing to do with "hating people making money off of tickets" - it has to do with the possibility of fake tickets. I don't know the odds of getting a bad ticket by forking over money on Causeway, but my gut is that it's "worth the money" to pay the extra to a reputable secondary market like Ace, StubHub, SeatGeek, TicketsNow/TicketMaster resale, etc. Even if you've seen the same guy on the streets selling tickets, and they seem to be good...this would be the one game where they could make a killing with a fake, and then get out of Dodge. And, heck, he could be an "innocent" bystander of ANOTHER scammer, since many of those folks buy AND sell tickets. They happen to get a bum ticket, and then pawn it off to you.

Maybe there are stories about people getting good tickets on the street. Haven't heard much of them here. *shrug* I'd be wary.

Also, credit cards afford a host of advantages you don't get with cash (or even debit cards): Fraud protection, points, and the ability to finance the ticket for free for the remainder of your billing cycle. If you've got the credit available, use that.

You could walk into the Ace on Causeway. I have no idea if they even take cash. Easier just to check on their site. Prices may drop, but...we're in uncharted territory. Ace is $1682. TicketMaster resale is $1701. StubHub is $1820. Some of those may be in pairs. Fenway said that the box office may have tickets that get released at the last minute...but who knows. And a lot of those may be STHs who say, "If I can sell it for this price, great - I've paid a good chunk of my season ticket package next year. If not, I'll go myself."

One other thing: with Ace, you get 5% in "Ace bucks" that you can use on your next purchase within one year. For $1500, that'd be $75 - basically, a free regular season game.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I can tell you I see familiar scalpers from Montreal, Toronto and New York City outside the Garden along with the Charlestown crew.

Many of the scalpers today work with brokers - and this being 2019 most of them have credit card readers for their phone.

Don't use cash or a debit card - barcode fraud is too easy and a Game 7 is going to invite out of town scammers

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Also what people need to realize is the people who sell outside the games don't show up with 20 tickets to sell.

They show up with some cash trying to buy an extra off a fan for as little as possible 'you want a hundred for that come on its almost game time here is 20' so they can resell it they know what they are doing and if they see someone with a spare get really pushy to get it off them for as little as possible. A game like tonight aside its worth their time to get tickets that people walking into the event are going to eat for 5 bucks because they'll offer them to everyone and someone will buy they'll ask for 50 but take 20. Thats why you hear 'Anyone selling tickets' a lot more than 'anyone need tickets' these days cause chances are that guy doesn't have any for sale and has to call a pal.

That was all and good I guess nothing wrong in theory but the move to mobile tickets means not that many 'paper' tickets are used these days. In 2019 for a game like this a paper ticket is going to almost certainly be fake. And I wouldn't fork over cash for them to text you a screen shot of a QR code they might have sent the same picture to 10 people. The only actual hard tickets are going to come from season ticket holders booklets that were mailed out last September and those folks likely found a good home for their spares.

Auddy5000

Jun 10, 2019
So is it commonly known that the Bruins were basically scalping their own playoff tickets yesterday?

I was in line at the box office early yesterday trying to get reasonably priced Game 7 tickets. I was shocked that when they were finally released around 2 pm - the price for a loge 19 since seat was $2100. During the regular season, those are $210 tickets.

But here's the kicker .. when I compared that price to what StubHub was selling in the same section at that moment, there was only a 100-200 difference. So it seemed to me that the Bruins were monitoring the ticket broker prices online and dynamically re-pricing their own tickets stock to be in that 'scalped' range.

And to clarify - these tickets were not from the Ticketmaster reseller market - it was straight from the box office.

Some other weird stuff:
  • There was no price listed on the printed tickets. Is this common? Seems fishy.
  • The ticket manager was adament that no tickets sold that day would ever drop below $2100. How could that possibly be?
  • During the week I could not find any Stanley Cup ticket pricing anywhere on their website, so I don't really know what season ticket holders and others were playing for similar seats. Was that intentional?
I didn't stick around to see what was going to be available after that. That was too rich for my blood. People who waiting in line all day were pissed as well.

I've done the day-of-game tickets routine many times for the Sox. As long as you can put the time in line, you can get into any big game you want at a real face value price. It was disheartening to see the B's screw over their fans like this.

So is this a new thing? Has it been happening all playoffs or just yesterday? What is the normal "face value" of a loge 19 seat during this series cost? Maybe I just wasn't aware they do this and everyone know, but I thought it was really crappy of them.

In the end I'm glad I didn't take the bait given the game outcome, but I still feel wronged by the B's ticket people.

Any insight appreciated!

Reactions: Fenway

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
So is it commonly known that the Bruins were basically scalping their own playoff tickets yesterday?

I was in line at the box office early yesterday trying to get reasonably priced Game 7 tickets. I was shocked that when they were finally released around 2 pm - the price for a loge 19 since seat was $2100. During the regular season, those are $210 tickets.

But here's the kicker .. when I compared that price to what StubHub was selling in the same section at that moment, there was only a 100-200 difference. So it seemed to me that the Bruins were monitoring the ticket broker prices online and dynamically re-pricing their own tickets stock to be in that 'scalped' range.

And to clarify - these tickets were not from the Ticketmaster reseller market - it was straight from the box office.

Some other weird stuff:
  • There was no price listed on the printed tickets. Is this common? Seems fishy.
  • The ticket manager was adament that no tickets sold that day would ever drop below $2100. How could that possibly be?
  • During the week I could not find any Stanley Cup ticket pricing anywhere on their website, so I don't really know what season ticket holders and others were playing for similar seats. Was that intentional?
I didn't stick around to see what was going to be available after that. That was too rich for my blood. People who waiting in line all day were pissed as well.

I've done the day-of-game tickets routine many times for the Sox. As long as you can put the time in line, you can get into any big game you want at a real face value price. It was disheartening to see the B's screw over their fans like this.

So is this a new thing? Has it been happening all playoffs or just yesterday? What is the normal "face value" of a loge 19 seat during this series cost? Maybe I just wasn't aware they do this and everyone know, but I thought it was really crappy of them.

In the end I'm glad I didn't take the bait given the game outcome, but I still feel wronged by the B's ticket people.

Any insight appreciated!

They’ve been doing variable pricing for a couple years i thought. Also, stubhub prices were probably set by season ticket holders that were paying FAR LESS than us shmucks in the gen pub so they could undercut box office and still profit. It was a wild market this post season

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I'm not sure I'd call that "scalping" - I'd call that "dynamic pricing", which the Bruins openly do. For example, they'll have a big announcement in the next few weeks about being able to buy single game tickets. Those ticket prices will be HUGELY inflated, and will almost always come down when they don't sell. If they notice a game starting to sell quickly, they won't lower the price, and if tickets get too sparse, they may raise the price of the remaining tickets. And this is all the "blue dot" primary sale tickets - not the red recycle tickets, which are inherently dynamically priced because the resellers price according to their needs (sell now vs wait and see).

I'm not surprised that they took all their primary tickets off Ticketmaster and put them on sale at the box office. I think that's to prevent online "scalping". Blue dot tickets were as low as $800 with fees on Ticketmaster, but that was back on 3/24 - and it was for the worst possible configuration: single ticket, balcony row 13, shoot 1x side. That was the cheapest I ever saw Game 7 tickets, and in hindsight, it would have probably been profitable for someone with the financial means to flip them - I think you could have easily netted at least $400, if not more, from them. But I'm not sure if it's overall profitable: back in late March, would you have thought that we'd play Game 7 of the SCF here? All things equal, at the end of the season, it was a 7/64 shot that we make it to the SCF with home ice, and after that only a 31.25% chance that it reaches Game 7, meaning we only hit Game 7 at home about 3.5% of the time. The other 96.5% of the time, you'd be surrendering your money as an interest-free loan to the Bruins for up to 4 months, and forfeiting your ability to make interest on it for those 3 or 4 months.

I do have no doubt that they monitor the secondary market - at the very least, they check their own market. If they don't sell them, I imagine they can give them as last-minute comps to corporate sponsors or Bruins executives as a thank you.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012

Some other weird stuff:

Any insight appreciated!

This is exactly how the Bruins price their tickets.

When you sign up for the last minute text offers from the Bruins which are much cheaper than the blue dot ticketmaster seats you can expect to pay about the same maybe save 10 bucks vs the cheapest thing on stubhub after fees.

The only way around it is to buy season tickets and eat 3 worthless preseason games a year.

If you like the Loge be wary of playoff pricing down there for season ticket holders. I had Loge 22 seasons recently and tickets that were 135 in the regular season ended up being $373 for the Carolina series. Thats 100 MORE than secondary market prices for games 1 and 2 vs Carolina. So some ST holders paid extra/more.

Nothing will change unless the team becomes terrible like 2007.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

When you sign up for the last minute text offers from the Bruins which are much cheaper than the blue dot ticketmaster seats you can expect to pay about the same maybe save 10 bucks vs the cheapest thing on stubhub after fees.

The only way around it is to buy season tickets and eat 3 worthless preseason games a year.

If you like the Loge be wary of playoff pricing down there for season ticket holders. I had Loge 22 seasons recently and tickets that were 135 in the regular season ended up being $373 for the Carolina series. Thats 100 MORE than secondary market prices for games 1 and 2 vs Carolina. So some ST holders paid extra/more.

Nothing will change unless the team becomes terrible like 2007.

Yeah, I could have grabbed seats in the balcony that were marginally cheaper than the STH price for the two ECF games versus Carolina...which is to be expected. Non-rival opponent, non-elimination game, on a weekday or holiday. Of course, you pay for the bundle - and if it had gone to five games with Bruins up 3-1, or all the way to seven games, the Carolina series prices would have gone up. Of course, with the sweep, it opened up the next bundle, which was by far the best deal for STHs.

Maine Fan

Defense Wins Chanpionships
Apr 19, 2015
Ocean Twp, NJ
WOW, just read this "ticket Thread" and what an education I got. I have been "literally" in bed for the past two years, I have missed a lot. Prefect thread about "how not to be screwed".

Thanks for the advice.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Some other weird stuff:

Any insight appreciated!

The box office at TD Garden is the most corrupt in the NHL and I say this KNOWING that staffers at the Garden are reading this.

This has been going on for generations and even the team itself is frustrated by shenanigans there and is powerless to stop it.

I know for a fact that a long time STH went to the box office yesterday and bought a ticket in Sec 317 for the ST price of $190 ( plus a voluntary gratuity ) The box office price of that ticket was $224.

As far as not printing a price on the ticket - Season ticket holders got their 'book' of playoff tickets last September but no price on the ticket and didn't know until late February what they would cost.

The problem with the box office goes back to the opening of Boston Madison Square Garden in 1928. To get approval for the arena to be built 'handshake' deals were made with power brokers in the old West End and North End. The ticket office came under the control of the 'North End' and when Jacobs bought the team he didn't want to make waves and the agreement continued.

FIFTY YEARS AGO I got screwed by the ticket office but I was a feisty college student and I made a stink and a young unknown Globe reporter got the story in print. Here is what happened.

upload_2019-6-14_3-26-20.png
upload_2019-6-14_3-27-21.png

In those days the Garden ticket office was in the North Station and the team announced playoff tickets would go on sale at the box office at 10 AM. If you wanted tickets you needed to sleep at the box office. Ticketron which became Ticketmaster was still a year away and so the loyal fans slept at North Station.

At the last minute, the box office decides tickets will be sold in the West Lobby of the Garden instead of the train station so those last in line suddenly got to the front.

To be fair after that ran in the Globe, Weston Adams, Jr allowed me to buy a playoff strip for all games.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
The box office at TD Garden is the most corrupt in the NHL and I say this KNOWING that staffers at the Garden are reading this.

This has been going on for generations and even the team itself is frustrated by shenanigans there and is powerless to stop it.

I know for a fact that a long time STH went to the box office yesterday and bought a ticket in Sec 317 for the ST price of $190 ( plus a voluntary gratuity ) The box office price of that ticket was $224.

As far as not printing a price on the ticket - Season ticket holders got their 'book' of playoff tickets last September but no price on the ticket and didn't know until late February what they would cost.

The problem with the box office goes back to the opening of Boston Madison Square Garden in 1928. To get approval for the arena to be built 'handshake' deals were made with power brokers in the old West End and North End. The ticket office came under the control of the 'North End' and when Jacobs bought the team he didn't want to make waves and the agreement continued.

FIFTY YEARS AGO I got screwed by the ticket office but I was a feisty college student and I made a stink and a young unknown Globe reporter got the story in print. Here is what happened.

View attachment 236455View attachment 236457

In those days the Garden ticket office was in the North Station and the team announced playoff tickets would go on sale at the box office at 10 AM. If you wanted tickets you needed to sleep at the box office. Ticketron which became Ticketmaster was still a year away and so the loyal fans slept at North Station.

At the last minute, the box office decides tickets will be sold in the West Lobby of the Garden instead of the train station so those last in line suddenly got to the front.

To be fair after that ran in the Globe, Weston Adams, Jr allowed me to buy a playoff strip for all games.

As a ticket broker who had B's season tickets for 10 years from 08'-09' to 17'-18', I can say with all honestly that I saw multiple occasions where bruins account managers "took care" of people who were close to them in exchange for monetary gain. Cash, gift cards, vacations etc. I had a friend who was sold twenty something public sale seats to a Cup game in 2011 at an extremely discounted price. It's all about who you know. Account reps, managers, etc read these forums. They don't care if they are exposed. It's been going on for decades and isn't going to stop simply because people on a message board call them out.

Auddy5000

Jun 10, 2019

I guess that's my ignorance for not realizing the change in the last few years. I should have known something was up when I was first in line at 6 am and the line didn't get bigger than 30 people deep most of the day. I've gone this route at Fenway many times and have never seen a short line like that for big games. Lately I've gotten my B's tix through work (tried for Game 7 but too much demand), so I wasn't fully aware about this policy change. Welp, that was a hard lesson to learn, especially with my 14-year old boy in tow.

I'm not sure I'd call that "scalping" - I'd call that "dynamic pricing", which the Bruins openly do.

Well that's a nice PR spin on it. But it's basically legal scalping. They are jacking prices to match what's on the streets or at Ace, Stubhub, etc. Such a screw job on the fans. I guess the B's can do whatever they want, but just because they can doesn't mean they should.

Of course all teams now jack up prices for certain big games. But in most cases, you know ahead of time what those prices are. For example, the Patriots have three tiers of ticket prices depending on who the opponent is. This is set in before the season starts and does not change, and it never reaches the price level of what you'd see from the broker. The Bruins are really going next level here by repricing tickets by the day -- or even the hour -- based on demand and what the brokers are listing prices at. That's just absurd and a total money grab.

Charlie Jacobs actually walked by me and my boy around 8 am and asked how long we'd been in line. He said that there were at least 100 tickets and that I should expect to pay between $600-$1200. I thought $1200 was crazy for face value but was prepared to pay and hoped I'd get a shot at the lower priced ones. At that point we definitely thought we were getting in and didn't mind spending 10 hours in line to make it happen. It was pretty shocking to then get the $2100 sticker shock. No way I could afford that, which is why I was in the box office line for face value tickets in the first place.

What a joke. So disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Maine Fan

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Charlie Jacobs actually walked by me and my boy around 8 am and asked how long we'd been in line. He said that there were at least 100 tickets and that I should expect to pay between $600-$1200. I thought $1200 was crazy for face value but was prepared to pay and hoped I'd get a shot at the lower priced ones. At that point we definitely thought we were getting in and didn't mind spending 10 hours in line to make it happen. It was pretty shocking to then get the $2100 sticker shock. No way I could afford that, which is why I was in the box office line for face value tickets in the first place.

What a joke. So disappointing.

Speaks volumes when the CEO of the team and Garden doesn't know what the ticket office is up to.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch

Thanks for the info! We start October playing home openers in Dallas (Thu 10/3) and Arizona (Sat 10/5). Last year we had a COL-DAL-ARI roadtrip, so I imagine we could see Colorado in our opening road trip, too. Fourth team on the road trip would be possible - Vegas?

We have the latest opening day of all teams, shared with the Kings and the Wild. No doubt to allow some extra time for construction at the Garden - same reason our preseason games are bunched up into the last three games.

NHL reveals home openers for 2019-20 season

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Thanks for the info! We start October playing home openers in Dallas (Thu 10/3) and Arizona (Sat 10/5). Last year we had a COL-DAL-ARI roadtrip, so I imagine we could see Colorado in our opening road trip, too. Fourth team on the road trip would be possible - Vegas?

We have the latest opening day of all teams, shared with the Kings and the Wild. No doubt to allow some extra time for construction at the Garden - same reason our preseason games are bunched up into the last three games.

NHL reveals home openers for 2019-20 season

Vegas has been grouped with the 3 California teams as of last season - Colorado is my guess

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Uh, guys...I found something interesting in my account manager. If you go into the section where you can buy extra tickets, and click on the game plans, and click on "Show Events"...you can get the list of games in groups of 11 or 22.

Unfortunately, it's not quite accurate. There are several problems - for example, the "Home Opener" plan does have the first game that we play in October...but it's listed as a Leafs game.

The actual schedule release is Tuesday, so I'm not going to post a screen cap. Additionally, there are only four matinees listed on the current schedule for the regular season: Columbus Day (1 PM vs supposedly ANA), Black Friday (1 PM matinee back vs NYR!), MLK day (1 PM vs VGK), and a random one on Saturday January 4 (1 PM vs EDM).

These are ALL preliminary - don't start scheduling anything! Especially since I have a feeling there have to be more than just 4 matinees, so at the very least the evening times on some of the weekend games have GOT to be wrong. And leave it to the NHL to schedule matinees vs West Coast teams....seems very, very stupid, although our Euro fans probably are happy. Do Californians like omelettes with their hockey?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The NHL announced they will have more prime time games in Europe next season so those times make sense.

Does it hint when the Chicago game is?

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The NHL announced they will have more prime time games in Europe next season so those times make sense.

Does it hint when the Chicago game is?

They have CHI@BOS at 7 PM Thursday, December 5. But again - I'm not sure that's reliable. I guess we go to Chicago in the early spring for the traditional Sunday NBC matinee.

Weird distribution: There's only one Wednesday game here. I know we're the traditional Tu/Th team at the Garden, and the Celtics are M/W/F, but with Wednesday Night Not Rivlary Anymore, you'd think they'd have to shoehorn us in a little more.

The Blues are penciled in on Saturday October 26, my dad's birthday. "Happy birthday, dad...remember the heartache?"

Only two Sunday games, and no alleged home game collisions with the Patriots except on 12/29 - their regular season closer. And even that's okay, since Patriots play at 1 and we play at 7...for now.

Again, NONE of this is official. Can't say it enough. And since they got the home opener wrong, there's bound to be some changes. But I wouldn't be surprised if the list of dates were correct, since they have to "reserve" the Garden for those dates. And if that's true, I'll either need to reschedule an ophtho appointment, or watch the game with dilated Little Orphan Annie eyes.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
They have CHI@BOS at 7 PM Thursday, December 5. But again - I'm not sure that's reliable. I guess we go to Chicago in the early spring for the traditional Sunday NBC matinee.

Weird distribution: There's only one Wednesday game here. I know we're the traditional Tu/Th team at the Garden, and the Celtics are M/W/F, but with Wednesday Night Not Rivlary Anymore, you'd think they'd have to shoehorn us in a little more.

The Blues are penciled in on Saturday October 26, my dad's birthday. "Happy birthday, dad...remember the heartache?"

Only two Sunday games, and no alleged home game collisions with the Patriots except on 12/29 - their regular season closer. And even that's okay, since Patriots play at 1 and we play at 7...for now.

Again, NONE of this is official. Can't say it enough. And since they got the home opener wrong, there's bound to be some changes. But I wouldn't be surprised if the list of dates were correct, since they have to "reserve" the Garden for those dates. And if that's true, I'll either need to reschedule an ophtho appointment, or watch the game with dilated Little Orphan Annie eyes.

The Celtics get the first crack on Wednesday nights. NBC will still get their Bruins exclusives games but most will be on the road which makes NESN happy.

The Celtics are content with their free rent at TD Garden and the deal was sweetened a few years ago when the Celtics were allowed complete signage rights for their games.

I asked you about Chicago as I wanted to see if my list from NBC was accurate and those dates match.

Reactions: talkinaway

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
They updated the list so that it makes a little more sense - they flipped the NJD and TOR games so NJD is the home opener (as has been officially annoucned), and moved a Habs game from October to December. They also added a couple of matinees, bringing the total to 6 (I think). Here's the preliminary, completely unofficial list - it's not completely sorted because it comes from 4 different 11-game plans.

Preseason: Boston Bruins vs New Jersey Devils
Wed, Sep 25, 2019 7:00 PM || TD Garden
Boston Bruins vs Toronto Maple Leafs
Tue, Oct 22, 2019 7:00 PM || TD Garden
Boston Bruins vs San Jose Sharks
Tue, Oct 29, 2019 7:00 PM || TD Garden
Boston Bruins vs Buffalo Sabres
Thu, Nov 21, 2019 7:00 PM || TD Garden
Boston Bruins vs New York Rangers
Fri, Nov 29, 2019 1:00 PM || TD Garden
Boston Bruins vs Nashville Predators
Sat, Dec 21, 2019 7:00 PM || TD Garden