OT: Ticket Thread - 2019/20 (Make sure to read rules on post 1 before posting tix!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeIsAStud

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Damn the service fees are insane. Currently seeing 175 in fees for 473 ticket on stubhub for Thursday thats 36.7% and doesn't account for the 10% they are going to take off that 473 on the sellers end. This is beyond outrageous. Can't there be some sort of class action suit against stubhub or something to keep them in check.

Greatest scam in the world. Someone should just put them out of business by going 5% on the seller side and 10% on the buyer side

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Damn the service fees are insane. Currently seeing 175 in fees for 473 ticket on stubhub for Thursday thats 36.7% and doesn't account for the 10% they are going to take off that 473 on the sellers end. This is beyond outrageous. Can't there be some sort of class action suit against stubhub or something to keep them in check.

The worse scam on SH is that I've seen the fees lower if you log in as "guest" - and then they suddenly jump when you give them your email/phone number. Granted, they never jump after you give them your credit card, but it's very deceptive.

I miss the old days 6-7 years ago of their "all-in pricing" - their price showed all fees, unlike most sites. Unfortunately, casual once-every-five-year buyers don't know about the crazy fees, and will just pick whatever base price is lowest, without comparing.

The amount is high, especially when you take it from both ends. A 10% sellers fee and a 20% buyers fee equals a 33% markup. (Yes, it adds up - $100 fake price, $90 to buyer, seller pays $120.) Considering StubHub has very few physical locations, and I imagine fairly low overhead (employees outsourced, website in cloud, etc.), most of that markup is needed for protecting bogus tickets. If you sell 3 $90 tickets for $120, you can cover the fourth bogus ticket - and that's without having to collect from the bogus seller, which they do anyway! And there's no way 1 in 4 StubHub deals are bad - they are making money hand over fist.

But it's legal. They make you click on something to say you won't sue (in their terms of service, I think. Technically you can't sell tix in MA for more than $2 over face value (or something like that) if you're not a licensed ticket seller, I think, but there's no way they're going to come after StubHub for that. And the markup StubHub has is, for better or worse, the markup that the market supports. People are happy enough to sell and buy tickets on StubHub at the prices SH posts.

Newbie10

Jan 9, 2010
I think it's15% for the seller fee not 10%. You have to take in consideration their marketing and advertising cost. They are all over the sports arena.

I'm not supporting their outrageous fees in anyways but figure I would throw that out there...

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I think it's15% for the seller fee not 10%. You have to take in consideration their marketing and advertising cost. They are all over the sports arena.

I'm not supporting their outrageous fees in anyways but figure I would throw that out there...

Go try checking out and come back to us if those are still the fees. That was over 2 years ago they adjust and the buyer fees are 25-30% now.

slim04

All Things Boston
Mar 11, 2011
Connecticut
Go try checking out and come back to us if those are still the fees. That was over 2 years ago they adjust and the buyer fees are 25-30% now.

SH Seller Fee is now 13% (or at least has been since the playoffs started.

Buyer fee depends on the medium you're using as it shows a different price on their mobile app vs the full website on a computer. For whatever reason the price you're seeing may be 10% below what the seller is listing them for (using the StubHub App), but then they still tack on all the fees based on the listing price. It's all very deceptive.

Dizzay

Jul 8, 2004
Moncton
Anyone wanting to sell game 7.. .....I know that's unheard of, but me and my daughter, would love to be there!

Auddy5000

Jun 10, 2019
Hi ... newbie here. Has anyone ever had luck getting day of game tickets by standing in line at the box office? I do this often at Fenway, even for playoffs and World Series, but I'm not sure if this is a thing for the Bruins. Any insight or experience appreciated. Thanks!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Hi ... newbie here. Has anyone ever had luck getting day of game tickets by standing in line at the box office? I do this often at Fenway, even for playoffs and World Series, but I'm not sure if this is a thing for the Bruins. Any insight or experience appreciated. Thanks!

I know someone who bought a ticket for Game 5 20 minutes before the game that way.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH

There may be tickets available, but they won't be cheap. I have a friend who heads up the ticketing department for a very large venue (100k range). They use ticketmaster to sell their tickets. She has connections to higher ups in ticketmaster to get personal use tickets at discounted prices. Her get in the door price for upper balconies for game 7 was $1,000. Well below market price, but not crazy cheap either. I just wanted to give you a heads up of what a cheap ticket might cost at a last minute deal price. Her price for game 1 was $400 when the market was $650-$700.

A lot will depend on supply and demand between now and Thursday night. If there is a large amount of resale inventory still for sale on tm online, I don't think it's crazy to expect a similarly priced offering through tm for last minute tickets. Say $1,000 a piece or so. They offered single seats for $400+ fees for game 2. That ended up making them $500 per after fees. Maybe a $800 + $200 in fees offering?

I would speculated that a large number of the inventory available online are season ticket holders saying "if I can make 3k or more I will sell them. If not, I will go". That will keep many prices high. But there are still a decent amount of broker owned seats who have to sell. If buyers aren't paying the going market prices, they will drop their prices. The market is obviously fluid. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the retail get in the door price online come down closer to $1,500 and private sale sellers trying to get closer to $1,200-$1,300/per. By tomorrow night we should have a better idea if the market is going to come down Wednesday or not. Based on the number of tickets that have sold since the game ended last night, I'd say there is a good chance prices will come down a bit if sales don't pick up soon.

Reactions: Auddy5000

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The other thing to consider is that for Pay-As-You-Go folks, JJ hit them in the wallet either late last night after the buzzer, or early this morning. Those tickets, who are probably mostly STHs who use them on their own and might sell occasionally, would probably just be coming on the market this morning, since you can't sell a ticket until you pay for the ticket.

I got an email after the last round concluded, offering STHs more balcony tickets (probably high and on the ends) for the SCF at 400/450/550/700. I'm 99% sure those got snatched up fairly quickly. Fees were not mentioned, and I have no idea what the rules on resale or transfer of those tickets would be. The cheapest ticket I ever saw for Game 7 was, oddly enough, a "blue dot" ticket directly from TicketMaster - $699 for a solo seat in the balcony, but about $800 with fees. And you had to pounce on 3/24 - which is when tickets went on sale, I'm guessing.

Box office tickets won't be cheap or plentiful, but if Fenway says they were there for Game 5...who knows. The prices are nuts, but...if you put it in perspective, it IS a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Assuming a 32 team league with every team being equal and every game being 50-50, we make the SCF every 16 years. The series goes to 7 games 31.25% of the time, and game 7 is a home game half the time. That means you get a Game 7 at home once every 96 years.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Decided (well really the wife decided) that $2K+/per was a little too much to spend on tix to the actual game, so our crew will be doing Chunkys instead. Should be a fun atmosphere and you can't beat the price: tix are free (well $5 each, but they give you a coupon for $5 off your food bill) and you don't have to worry about standing for hours at a bar before the game even starts.

Looch

B's, C's, Sox & Pats
Jun 22, 2009
Gilford, NH
As expected, you can get in for $1,500 now and there has been little movement with inventory overnight. I honestly expect we'll see retail prices be around $1k to get on the door by early evening tomorrow. If I didn't already buy at 1k I would wait now and roll the pieces too an hour before the game. Just my two cents for anyone still playing the market.

NMF

May 24, 2012
Just spent way too much on one ticket, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. As a lifelong Bruins fan, I would never be able to forgive myself for missing this. LET'S GO BRUINS!!!!

busman21

Dec 11, 2006
Boston
Just spent way too much on one ticket, but this is a once in a lifetime opportunity. As a lifelong Bruins fan, I would never be able to forgive myself for missing this. LET'S GO BRUINS!!!!

I dropped an unreal amount on Game 6 of the SCF against Vancouver in 2011, best money I ever spent.

Reactions: NMF and sarge88

GabeTravels

ME > MN > GA
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2011
Marietta, GA
Ugh if I wasn't driving down to MSP from northern Minnesota tomorrow I'd consider a ticket. Alas...probably wouldn't be able to catch a flight in time.

bossfan

Apr 5, 2008
I'm going into Boston today from the Cape. Leaving at 2pm. Bringing $1500 cash for one ticket. What should my plan be?

In my opinion there are too many scams and fake tickets out there so I would not buy off of craigslist or the street for that matter. If you can bump up your price a bit and you are looking to just get in regardless of seat location then look at Ace, Stubhub, and the like for the cheapest single you can buy. If $1500 is your max then wait it out to see if prices on Stubhub and the like come down as it gets closer to game time.

Look at Bruins ticket exchange also prices are higher than $1500 but might come down as the day goes on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad