News Article: Ticket-hoarding Rangers fans set to invade Philadelphia

jwelles17

Apr 23, 2012
I'll be heading to the game tomorrow. Ticket prices plummeted overnight. I live in Philly and go to every Rangers/Flyers game. Their fans are just like any other city. If you are an ******* to them, they will destroy you. If you are courteous, they are fine.

Tomorrow might be a little more hostile since it will be the last game of the season and their fans will be butt-hurt.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
I wish all the fans who go and buy up the individual tickets would boycott just one RS and one PO game per year. That would be all it took to get the prices dropped. Show up and almost the entire stadium is empty (I'd expect most of the STH to still go since they paid for the privilege already). Unfortunately people legitimately feel like letting a multi millionaire reach into their pockets and rob them is the same as showing that they "bleed blue". Suckers

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
you keep telling yourself that

Maybe more than one game. But obviously it'd make waves if barely any of the tickets sold for a PO game and a RS game every year. If need be crack it up to two or three. Announcers already routinely comment on how lifeless MSG is. Let it really become a farce. There would also need to be a concerted effort to communicate the fans displeasure with the pricing. When an entire customer base pushes, businesses listen. If practically the entire NYR fanbase contacted their cable companies and dropped the "sports package" which includes MSG and they ALL cited "ticket prices at MSG" you can bet that the cable companies would contact MSG. Add not going to some games and there would be some movement on ticket prices and whatnot.

Similarly if everyone started dropping cable in general it'd send some messages about net neutrality, cable prices, etc. People used to take hoses in the back for meaningful social change, now we can't even cancel our cable to send a message (wth am I doing talking about net neutrality here I am way off topic. Ok back on track.) Focusing on ticket prices and MSG cable package prices alone now. It's not like dropping sports packages from your cable bill and missing some games is this horrible thing that can't be done.

I think being a part of something big like a mass cancellation and boycott in order to lower prices and protect the net would be a lot more fun than any one single hockey game (which can be streamed online btw so not a single boycott or cable cancellation will result in missed games)

At the very least it's a great way to give a big middle finger to Dolan and the NHL

Last edited:

Blueshirt13

Apr 23, 2004
Other side of the Ri
Maybe more than one game. But obviously it'd make waves if barely any of the tickets sold for a PO game and a RS game every year. If need be crack it up to two or three. Announcers already routinely comment on how lifeless MSG is. Let it really become a farce. There would also need to be a concerted effort to communicate the fans displeasure with the pricing. When an entire customer base pushes, businesses listen. If practically the entire NYR fanbase contacted their cable companies and dropped the "sports package" which includes MSG and they ALL cited "ticket prices at MSG" you can bet that the cable companies would contact MSG. Add not going to some games and there would be some movement on ticket prices and whatnot.

Similarly if everyone started dropping cable in general it'd send some messages about net neutrality, cable prices, etc. People used to take hoses in the back for meaningful social change, now we can't even cancel our cable to send a message (wth am I doing talking about net neutrality here I am way off topic. Ok back on track.) Focusing on ticket prices and MSG cable package prices alone now. It's not like dropping sports packages from your cable bill and missing some games is this horrible thing that can't be done.

The issue you are running into is even with commentators saying MSG is "dead," they are still selling out games. With MSG being a publicly traded company, all they care about are revenues, profitability and bringing it all down to the bottom line. Even with them pricing out some of the passionate fans, they are still selling out home games and printing money.

One could argue that even with them pricing out the passionate fans from games, they are generating more revenues with the fans buying their sports packages instead of going to games. MSG is a publicly traded company that has to look at for their shareholders, not the fan base. Expect nothing to change any time soon.

Just a random note but I was at the game yesterday and it was probably the loudest and most involved its been all year.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
The issue you are running into is even with commentators saying MSG is "dead," they are still selling out games. With MSG being a publicly traded company, all they care about are revenues, profitability and bringing it all down to the bottom line. Even with them pricing out some of the passionate fans, they are still selling out home games and printing money.

One could argue that even with them pricing out the passionate fans from games, they are generating more revenues with the fans buying their sports packages instead of going to games. MSG is a publicly traded company that has to look at for their shareholders, not the fan base. Expect nothing to change any time soon.

Just a random note but I was at the game yesterday and it was probably the loudest and most involved its been all year.

Dolan has to make up revenue for the hot garbage that is the Knicks

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I wish all the fans who go and buy up the individual tickets would boycott just one RS and one PO game per year. That would be all it took to get the prices dropped. Show up and almost the entire stadium is empty (I'd expect most of the STH to still go since they paid for the privilege already). Unfortunately people legitimately feel like letting a multi millionaire reach into their pockets and rob them is the same as showing that they "bleed blue". Suckers

I think being a part of something big like a mass cancellation and boycott in order to lower prices and protect the net would be a lot more fun than any one single hockey game (which can be streamed online btw so not a single boycott or cable cancellation will result in missed games)

At the very least it's a great way to give a big middle finger to Dolan and the NHL

Haha, another person who wants people to spend their money on tickets and then boycott due to the price of tickets.

If you think prices are too high, or dont like the atmosphere, then simply stop going. My co-worker is a die-hard Knicks fan. However, hasn't been to a game since before Jeremy Lin. He used to buy tickets at a huge discount on stubhub, but refuses to pay the current prices. He would rather watch at a bar with some friends and order food and drinks, or watch at home. Yesterday, the atmosphere was great. Not as loud or rowdy like I have seen, but everyone seemed to be into the game.

The guy who sits to my right sold game 1 for face to one of his regular buyers. Got $175 for game 2 on the exchange, $200 for yesterday and $210 (I think) for a potential game 7. All this before the 10% fee. The face is $86 ($77.40 after the 10% discount). Yesterday, it was 2 regular fans sitting in the seats and from what they were saying they are definitely fans and have been for a while. Not some johnny-come-lately's who just wanted to go to a play-off game for the hell of it. So, obviously the market is there to justify the prices the Rangers are charging.

Last edited:

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
going to the game tonight.. sitting in a club box. anyone ever sit in 1 before? i paid $160 each but it came with a $40 food credit that i can use on beer. figured it might be better sitting in there as you wont get as many *******s as you would upstairs.

PKNY94

May 18, 2012
Yea, I can't believe you can get in the door tonight for a Game 6 for under $80.
I went to Game 3 and paid $175 to sit in the 11 row, Lower Center. Tonight, those tix are going for $138! So tempting to make another drive down there.

I was expecting alot worse treatment from the Philly fans at Game 3. Wasn't nearly as bad as I imagined. Sure, we got our ribbing in the parking lot walking to the arena, but once inside, it wasn't bad. There were 2 guys behind us just being your typical obnoxious flyers fan but we tuned them out. I was expecting alot more Ranger fans to make the trip. But really, I would say there were less than 100 total blue shirts in the entire arena.

The big factor in how the flyer fans respond of course is how the game plays out. Fortunately for us, we scored 5 minutes into the game and then had a 2 goal lead by the middle of the 1st. That really helped to quiet down the crowd. Then when Carcillo scored with 10 minutes left in the game, that was the nail in the coffin. That goal sent a mass exodus out the arena. So when the game ended, there were just a few hundred flyers fans remaining which made for a pleasant exit.

So hopefully we have another great start to the game tonight and take the crowd out from the get go. Have a great time for those going tonight and represent for us. LGR!

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00