News Article: Ticket-hoarding Rangers fans set to invade Philadelphia

rkhum

Aug 3, 2011
Savvy Rangers fans are taking their show on the road for the first-round series against the Flyers.

According to SeatGeek.com, there is a huge gap in the prices for tickets already sold on the secondary market between the games slated for Madison Square Garden and those at Wells Fargo Center. The games in New York (Games 1, 2 and, if necessary, 5 and 7) are averaging a sale price of $257.03, while the games in Philly (Games 3, 4 and, if necessary, 6) are averaging $131.63.

“So far, 30 percent of ticket buyers for [Games 3 and 4] have come from the NYC metro area,†said SeatGeek’s Connor Gregoire. “By comparison, only 4 percent of ticket buyers for Games 1 and 2 at MSG have come from the Philly metro area.

“Based on those numbers, it’s fair to expect much more of a Rangers-fan invasion in Philadelphia than vice versa.â€

http://nypost.com/2014/04/17/ticket-hoarding-rangers-fans-set-to-invade-philadelphia/

Very surprised the Rangers appear to be generating this much travel, since I don't recall this being the case in recent seasons with Washington or Boston, and we know Philly is a hard ticket.

Are the Rangers really making this much a buzz in New York as opposed to other seasons?

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
I believe, thought it and would be if I could find a partner in crime.

The train goes right there and it's decent, jersey is a stone's throw away for NYR fans living there and it's cheaper than MSG. If you know a buddy with a car, even easier.

I think MSG pricing, secondary or not (TM fees and pricing is ridiculous) really pushed people to do this.

NYRKindms

Dec 16, 2009

nikonsniper*

http://nypost.com/2014/04/17/ticket-hoarding-rangers-fans-set-to-invade-philadelphia/

Very surprised the Rangers appear to be generating this much travel, since I don't recall this being the case in recent seasons with Washington or Boston, and we know Philly is a hard ticket.

Are the Rangers really making this much a buzz in New York as opposed to other seasons?

Philly is an even quicker trip to make. That, and the gap between teams pricing keeps getting bigger as Dolan gets greedier and greedier.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT
I would expect that the Philly PD are going to be very very busy around Pat's and Geno's for games 3 and 4

this could (and probably will) get ugly.

WVULax22

Apr 8, 2014
I did the math. Overall, its cheaper for me to buy a ticket to one of the games in Philly, pay for gas there and back, and buy myself two beers at the game than it is for me to buy one single ticket to a game at the Garden (just the ticket, not including travel/beers/etc).

Ticket prices at the Garden are downright exorbitant. Its ridiculous.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
There's a pretty good number of Flyer fans in the Metro area, but hopefully these are all Ranger fans buying those tickets.

I did the math. Overall, its cheaper for me to buy a ticket to one of the games in Philly, pay for gas there and back, and buy myself two beers at the game than it is for me to buy one single ticket to a game at the Garden (just the ticket, not including travel/beers/etc).

Ticket prices at the Garden are downright exorbitant. Its ridiculous.

Wow. That's incredible.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
Its because prices are stupid expensive at MSG.

This. MSG prices have gotten exponentially expensive over the past few years. In the last five years, including the lockout, I've been to something like 6, 5, 4, 1, 0 home games because the price became completely prohibitive as the renovations came to a finish. The year we won the EC I went to like 4 regular season games and two playoff games, with decent seats too. This year my wife and I just didn't feel willing to spend what we used to spend going to two games and sitting in the lower 300s to go to one game and sit in the 400s.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
I have so many other things I'd rather spend 250 dollars of disposable income on... it's one of the reasons I love college hockey and now with HD TVs and surround sound the view is almost better from your living room.

highandwide

It's gold Jerry.
Nov 28, 2011
NYC
I see no point in spend $200/per for crap seat/first round ticket.

I'd rather wait and hold that money as "investment" for ECF/SCF when I know the money will be well spent in my eyes. Otherwise, I'll watch at a bar, with friends and other fans. Good enough for me.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I have so many other things I'd rather spend 250 dollars of disposable income on... it's one of the reasons I love college hockey and now with HD TVs and surround sound the view is almost better from your living room.

This. I have a nice expensive surround sound. Large tv. You can feel the crowd around you. Cheaper than going to the game in every way.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
This is part of the reason why the Garden just doesn't have the same ambiance as it used to. Some of the diehards just aren't going to pay $250+ for playoff tickets.

Meanwhile, as if the corporate seats weren't bad enough during the regular season, it gets a million times worse in the playoffs. My friend's office has company seats, and their clients are demanding tickets - they aren't Rangers fans and they have never shown a lick of interest in hockey, they just want to go to a playoff game because it's a hot ticket. The fairweather fans come out in full force while the diehards get left in the dust.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
People need to get together and split season tickets or a half season. I know some don't have that kind of money, but spouting a season and splitting playoffs gets you in the building cheaper for registering season and playoffs. 2 seats among a group of 4 is like getting a mini plan. You also have better chances at full season upstairs. Even half is a greater chance.

I did the playoff plan with MSG this year. It is pay per round. Comped for next round if less than 4 games. You get money back if knocked out and 4 home games not played. Prices are much better than secondary market.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC

I'd rather wait and hold that money as "investment" for ECF/SCF when I know the money will be well spent in my eyes. Otherwise, I'll watch at a bar, with friends and other fans. Good enough for me.

In fairness, many of us sold excellent seats on this very board for $200.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I would expect that the Philly PD are going to be very very busy around Pat's and Geno's for games 3 and 4

this could (and probably will) get ugly.

Hopefully arresting the cooks. Pats and Genos suck. Tony Luke's, Jim's, and John's are all better. Although John's is only open until 3.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004

You would not get in the building for $200 for the ECF or SCF. If they got to the SCF, you'd be looking at $600-700 minimum.

Garfinkel1

Jun 28, 2008
CT
Hopefully arresting the cooks. Pats and Genos suck. Tony Luke's, Jim's, and John's are all better. Although John's is only open until 3.

Jim's is my favorite.

Disclaimer: this very scientific breakthrough was made under the influence of alcohol.

Giacomin

Apr 29, 2007
A lot on this board are bashing the prices at MSG. I remember during the 94 run thinking that the prices were super expensive. I was 30 years old and had a great job but I didn't go to any playoff games because of what I thought were high prices at the time. I guess NYC will always be expensive when it comes to the playoffs. I heard Knicks tickets last year were going for in excess of $200 for every playoff game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad