THW column: Are Devils Looking To Trade Up In Draft?

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
So, that's effectively the #3 pick, for:
the #9, + 2 future NHL Dmen and a former #1.

I've been watching Drouin, and he's definitely a great player - but I don't know if he's really going to be a once-in-a-generation talent.

He's got a pretty dynamic linemate, and I know that's the old Henrique knock, but still...

Any worries about his lack of size?

Maybe Urbom will be a solid nhl d-man soon but I have no hopes left for tedenby and burlon, but that may just be me.

Devils1029

Jun 19, 2008
If tampa is considering moving, I don;t think they would move back to #9 as that leaves too much to chance and who knows who will be available then.

Nope, rather, I could see Nashville giving up a D prospect to move up to #3 to draft Mackinnon over Barkov. It would give them a star attraction forward which the franchise could really use. Then, with #4, Tampa drafts Darnel Nurse away from Carolina.

Edmonton then trades up to #5 to draft Barkov (to jump over Calgary).

Calgary grabs Lindholm or Monahan.

Carolina at #7 takes Ristolainen.

Buffalo happy to nab Nichushkin.

NJ is left with Lindholm or Monahan,

Who cares what else..but that would be pretty exciting....

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
If tampa is considering moving, I don;t think they would move back to #9 as that leaves too much to chance and who knows who will be available then.

Nope, rather, I could see Nashville giving up a D prospect to move up to #3 to draft Mackinnon over Barkov. It would give them a star attraction forward which the franchise could really use. Then, with #4, Tampa drafts Darnel Nurse away from Carolina.

Edmonton then trades up to #5 to draft Barkov (to jump over Calgary).

Calgary grabs Lindholm or Monahan.

Carolina at #7 takes Ristolainen.

Buffalo happy to nab Nichushkin.

NJ is left with Lindholm or Monahan,

Who cares what else..but that would be pretty exciting....

From what I have read in a few places Canes will take Monahan.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
Maybe Urbom will be a solid nhl d-man soon but I have no hopes left for tedenby and burlon, but that may just be me.

I don't think you are alone in your views, but I personally think both Tedenby and Burlon are going to be useful NHLers. I think we'd hear a lot more about Burlon if our ears weren't stuffed with Larsson, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas, Severson... etc.

Reminds me a lot of Bruce Driver.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
Would be major robbery for us, especially if we could acquire Yandle. Probably wouldn't take much. Josefson +. You've got to think that Phoenix would want young players, a fair pick, and obviously cap relief.

Yandle + Drouin = A+ offseason for us. And we'd still have a lot of money left over for some FA options.

Josefson, Fayne and a prospect/pick for Yandle. Would rather move an older d-man than Fayne, but you've gotta give to get.

So, that's effectively the #3 pick, for:
the #9, + 2 future NHL Dmen and a former #1.

I've been watching Drouin, and he's definitely a great player - but I don't know if he's really going to be a once-in-a-generation talent.

He's got a pretty dynamic linemate, and I know that's the old Henrique knock, but still...

Any worries about his lack of size?

Based on this i would rather have ... Larrson Merrill Yandle?(not sure how he this came up) and anyone who is available at 9. This is a deep draft i fully believe whoever we get at 9 will be a good top 6 player. Whether its Lindholm, Monahan, Nichushkin, Shinkaurk, or Domi (i am not as high as other but i am coming around)

Not to mention trading prospect for prospects is a risk i would rather hold on let them develop and then move them for players and get good to great value if they are not going to make our team.

Last edited:

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I wouldn't mind one bit if we threw a MASSIVE offer Tampa's way for their #3 pick. They're looking to add immediate help on the blueline so I'd start off by dangling Fayne + Merrill/Urbom/Gélinas + 9th overall pick just to move up 6 spots.

I like Fayne cause he's reliable and cheap but it wouldn't be the biggest lost in the world when taking into consideration that our current blueline is almost set in stone for next year and that we have players we are looking to crack our squad as soon as next year.

Handing over a prospect doesn't affect our current roster and giving them a d prospect, when we have more then enough prospects at that position, is called smart business. I know Merrill is high on everyone's list but Drouin is a can't miss prospect and he's EXACTLY what this team needs.

It might be alot but it's well worth it IMO.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if MacKinnon went #1. I like Jones but MacKinnon is such a beast when going to the net and if I'm picking a d-man 1st overall, I'd want that player to have everything in his tool box and I just think Jones lacks that competitve edge, that fire, in his game that would make him a garanteed lock for that 1st overall pick.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Ya there is no way I'd want to do that and I'm glad Lou won't either.

Honestly, if there's a team that would be happy about not doing that trade, I'd be the Lightning... not us.

I don't know how Mark Fayne has become a "must keep" on our board but I guess that's what happens when you have a top #6 that includes Salvador, Tallinder and Volchenkov.

I guess we'll just stay status quo and hope that someone falls to us at #9. I just hope we'll be picking Shinkaruk over Domi if no one happens to slide.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

I'm also thinking we want Domi over Shinkaruk as well.

Domi is just clueless in his own zone. Like I said in the "draft thread", after watching him in the OHL post season and now the Memorial Cup... he looks like a Tedenby clone.

A sick offensive minded player with brutal defensive awareness.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Ya he definitely doesn't play the game like Tedenby.

And Shinkaruk is a stalwart in his own end now?

I'd probably be ok with either one of them, but I can't definitively say one is much weaker than the other.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
Domi is just clueless in his own zone. Like I said in the "draft thread", after watching him in the OHL post season and now the Memorial Cup... he looks like a Tedenby clone.

A sick offensive minded player with brutal defensive awareness.

Defensive awareness can be taught. Domi doesn't strike me as the type of kid who won't be willing to work and improve his defensive game. It's pretty unfair to him to give him a generic Tedenby label just because you haven't been satisfied with his defense in one or two memorial cup games. They're completely different human beings. Just because Tedenby has struggled to improve his defensive play doesn't mean Domi will.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Ya he definitely doesn't play the game like Tedenby.

And Shinkaruk is a stalwart in his own end now?

I'd probably be ok with either one of them, but I can't definitively say one is much weaker than the other.

Tedenby is a offensive talent with zero defensive awareness and to me, Domi kind of looks the same. A offensive wizard with minimal defensive IQ.

I never said that Shinkaruk is the next coming of John Madden when he doesn't have the puck but he's relenthless out there and that's what I want to see out of a top #10 player, someone with a A-1 work ethic who'll play as hard in the offensive and defensive zone.

Domi doesn't bring that to the plate and that's one of the main reasons I'd rather go with Shinkaruk over him.

DEVILS ALL THE WAY*

Defensive awareness can be taught. Domi doesn't strike me as the type of kid who won't be willing to work and improve his defensive game. It's pretty unfair to him to give him a generic Tedenby label just because you haven't been satisfied with his defense in one or two memorial cup games. They're completely different human beings. Just because Tedenby has struggled to improve his defensive play doesn't mean Domi will.

Again, I'm not saying that he'll turn out like Tedenby just that atm, he doesn't do much in his own zone.

Look, I'm not trying to crap all over Domi but if several pro scouts are commenting about what I'm saying, I guess there's some truth to what I'm bringing forward. I think it's in the draft thread where someone pulled a quote from a pro scout, saying that Domi get's benched from time to time cause he just looks lost in his own end when playing at even strenght... or something like that.

Can he improve his game, absolutely... but I'd rather go with someone that has the offensive tools just like Domi and is already a step ahead in terms of his defensive game.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Tedenby is a offensive talent with zero defensive awareness and to me, Domi kind of looks the same. A offensive wizard with minimal defensive IQ.

I never said that Shinkaruk is the next coming of John Madden when he doesn't have the puck but he's relenthless out there and that's what I want to see out of a top #10 player, someone with a A-1 work ethic who'll play as hard in the offensive and defensive zone.

Domi doesn't bring that to the plate and that's one of the main reasons I'd rather go with Shinkaruk over him.

Also just described Domi who is better built for a forechecking style like ours and the amount of board play Deboer requires.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
how is Domi getting all these Parise comparisons if he's clueless in the defensive zone?

Lol don't ask me.

And Shinkaruk is like Parise in that when the other team sends some hitting Dmen to shut them down, they do so and they disappear for the entirety of the series.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
how is Domi getting all these Parise comparisons if he's clueless in the defensive zone?

Nobody has said he's clueless in the defensive zone. This is coming from Datw who is basing his judgment off of one or two memorial cup games he's watched. Most scouting reports say that while he needs to improve his defensive zone play, he isn't "clueless". It's just part of his game he needs to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad