THW column: Are Devils Looking To Trade Up In Draft?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
would deal for 7th. Nothing we have is worth giving up to hit 3rd tho imo

also dont feel like we deal for a D. were in dire need of top 6, our D is not priority

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Moving up to 7th is probably more much practical, but I would honestly give up quite a bit to move to number 3. Tampa needs D, imagine if they would take Severson/Merrill + Tallinder (maybe even Fayne? cross fingers for Volchenkov :laugh:) and the 9th pick for third overall? To me, that's absolutely worth Mackinnon or Drouin, and I would have to think long and hard about Henrique, as well. Devils have the center depth to consider upgrading from Henrique to a true game-breaking forward even if it downgrades the team in the short term.

Plus, getting either Mackinnon or Drouin would make giving up next year's first much easier to handle.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Would you take Lindholm over Monahan?

Probably. Monahan is a real nice player, but if we had someone who could play C and wing, has great hockey IQ and can score like a boss, we have a possible next Patrik Elias on our hands

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Probably. Monahan is a real nice player, but if we had someone who could play C and wing, has great hockey IQ and can score like a boss, we have a possible next Patrik Elias on our hands

We said the same thing about Josefson.

I would love to move up into that top pack but it will cost quite a bit.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
Moving up to 7th is probably more much practical, but I would honestly give up quite a bit to move to number 3. Tampa needs D, imagine if they would take Severson/Merrill + Tallinder (maybe even Fayne? cross fingers for Volchenkov :laugh:) and the 9th pick for third overall? To me, that's absolutely worth Mackinnon or Drouin, and I would have to think long and hard about Henrique, as well. Devils have the center depth to consider upgrading from Henrique to a true game-breaking forward even if it downgrades the team in the short term.

Plus, getting either Mackinnon or Drouin would make giving up next year's first much easier to handle.

I have not seen enough of either players to formulate an expert or even educated analysis.

But, I would be weary of labeling both Drouin and Mackinnon "can't miss" prospects due to the fact that they play together and on a loaded squad.

Monahan plays on a putrid squad and still shines in many areas.

Others who have seen Drouin and Mackinnon play through the last few years can clarify my skepticism.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
We said the same thing about Josefson.

I would love to move up into that top pack but it will cost quite a bit.

I get what you're saying, but Josefson wasn't outscoring the likes of Backstrom and Henrik Sedin in the SEL. Lindholm has been an excellent offensive player in a top pro league whereas Josefson's scoring touch was always under some scrutiny.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010

Was just thinking the same in terms of tradeable assets. Hard to trade a kid who made himself a playoff hero as a rookie, but we have multiple options in terms of 2nd/3rd line centermen. What we don't have is a clear cut #1.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I have not seen enough of either players to formulate an expert or even educated analysis.

But, I would be weary of labeling both Drouin and Mackinnon "can't miss" prospects due to the fact that they play together and on a loaded squad.

Others who have seen Drouin and Mackinnon play through the last few years can clarify my skepticism.

Same as u on having not seen enough to be able to form a decent opinion, but I'll assume 2 guys on the same squad who look to go top 5 in the draft, is a big reason as to why that team is considered loaded.

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Tampa giving up #3 is intriguing.

They really do need goaltending/defense, scoring is a non-issue with them.

They won't get Jones so if they felt Ristolainen was available at #9 I see no reason why Tampa doesn't do this for the right price.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut

Just read this, I really love Pronman's analyses and he talks to a lot of scouts from different teams and other organizations to help formulate his opinions.

http://hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1521

Basically, Mackinnon is safer because he's bigger, stronger, skates MUCH better, and shoots better, but Drouin's hockey sense and hands are out of this world and so he's considered to have a higher ceiling. These guys are about as can't miss as Hall/Seguin, in my opinion.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Excellent points, but worth noting as well:
1)Tallinder has miniscule, if any, value on the trade market and is a very likely buyout candidate (as is mentioned in my column).
2)Fayne has minimal value, as well. He could be part of some deal where NJ moves up two spots with EDM, but that's about it.
3)Trading Henrique would be a mistake. He is still young, plays two ways, has proven himself in clutch situations, and still has 65-70 point upside.

I see Lamoriello looking into moving up with EDM, rather than waiting and hoping that one of Lindholm, Monahan or Nichushkin fall to #9.

I also expect him to kick the tires on TB #3 overall pick. With the draft in NJ, it would be a huge coup at the tail end of his career to acquire a young franchise talent of the caliber of Drouin (likely) or MacKinnon (possibly). With the Devils' young cache of NHL-ready mid-level D (Urbom, Gelinas, Burlon) and D prospects with top-pairing upside (Merrill, Severson), Lamoriello might have enough ammunition to make it happen, as TB is desperate for D all over their organization.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Tampa giving up #3 is intriguing.

They really do need goaltending/defense, scoring is a non-issue with them.

They won't get Jones so if they felt Ristolainen was available at #9 I see no reason why Tampa doesn't do this for the right price.

Our 1st, Fayne, Merrill, and Burlon for the 3rd overall

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Trading for a top defenseman is absolutely a wise move. If we can acquire a guy like Yandle, it shuffles other players into more appropriate roles. I would put a move like that on par with improving the top-6, unfortunately it's more difficult to accomplish.

I'd trade any young player but Larsson to move into the top 3. Won't happen though.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
These guys are about as can't miss as Hall/Seguin, in my opinion.

Hall or Seguin wouldn't go top four in this draft. Nichushkin is comparable to Hall at this age, and he might go eighth (although the bull**** Russian factor might contribute to that), while Seguin I think tops off as a 60-70 point right wing -- a very good player, but not a great one.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
I don't think Tallinder is fading quite like everyone thinks. But the OP is right, his trade value is probably miniscule. Buying him out just totally doesn't seem like a Lou move, to me. Not with two UFA defensemen and losing Volchenkov (addition by subtraction, most likely) to a buyout.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad