THW column: Are Devils Looking To Trade Up In Draft?

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Domi has been very clutch these playoffs. He just hasn't come out of nowhere, sort of, like Horvat and hasn't blown up randomly like Horvat.

at 9, I'll take Domi, Shinkaruk, or one of the other big forwards who will fall to us.

Bosskarelli

Jun 21, 2007
Florida
I'm not enamored with either Shinkaruk or Domi.

Both have enough flaws that I'd be leaning more towards both being busts than anything else.

Would rather see Lou pick a team that he thinks will stink in 2013-14 and trade #9 for their 2014 first if those are going to be the best players available.

Bosskarelli

Jun 21, 2007
Florida
And why would 2014 be any different in that case?

It might not be. In which case you trade that pick for a 2015 and keep going until it might actually be worth it.

Better than saying "well these players are almost definitely going to suck but I still HAVE to take one of them",like a shopaholic who says "Well this store has nothing I want, but I just can't leave it without buying something!"

I'm just not looking forward to a player who will likely be getting more of the lame "It's not that he's not good enough, it's our coach deliberately trying to ruin him!" or "He's only __(insert age here)___ and therefore conclusively proven to be guaranteed to have a great NHL career with us!" excuses

B A T M A N

Domi has been very clutch these playoffs. He just hasn't come out of nowhere, sort of, like Horvat and hasn't blown up randomly like Horvat.

at 9, I'll take Domi, Shinkaruk, or one of the other big forwards who will fall to us.
At #20 or so, Domi is a viable option. At #9? Heavens no.

To make a comparison in the past, it's like taking Dylan McIlrath (10th) over Vladimir Tarasenko (17th) in 2010.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area

People who watch Horvat everyday rank him ahead of Domi at this point...

For the record I'm fine with Shin unless one of the big names slip. And trading the pick for a 2014 first accomplishes nothing. The team needs talent up front in a hurry, whoever we draft instantly becomes our best forward prospect.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
People who watch Horvat everyday rank him ahead of Domi at this point...

lol wut

To make a comparison in the past, it's like taking Dylan McIlrath (10th) over Vladimir Tarasenko (17th) in 2010.

also no

It might not be. In which case you trade that pick for a 2015 and keep going until it might actually be worth it.

Better than saying "well these players are almost definitely going to suck but I still HAVE to take one of them",like a shopaholic who says "Well this store has nothing I want, but I just can't leave it without buying something!"

I'm just not looking forward to a player who will likely be getting more of the lame "It's not that he's not good enough, it's our coach deliberately trying to ruin him!" or "He's only __(insert age here)___ and therefore conclusively proven to be guaranteed to have a great NHL career with us!" excuses

Lol we aren't going to have any prospects then because drafts always look better next year than they do now

:facepalm:

B A T M A N

Sounds like CG is incapable of understanding that other people have their own opinions.

I don't really care if you like or dislike what I post, it doesn't automatically mean you know what you're talking about.

Getzo5

The Punisher
Feb 13, 2010
Presov, SVK

You mean taking Tarasenko (Domi) in his proper spot instead of McIlrath (Zadorov) in a wrong spot while someone like Fowler (Ristolainen) slips?

:sarcasm:

Oh how much I love the reverse analogy. Now it`s up to other board members to decide which one of us is closer to "the truth".

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
lol wut

also no

Lol we aren't going to have any prospects then because drafts always look better next year than they do now

:facepalm:

Go say "wut" to the guys who cover London and scout the prospects on that board. The Horvat love is probably getting to be too much, but his playoff performance is really impressive and his two-way game far exceeds Domi's...

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Go say "wut" to the guys who cover London and scout the prospects on that board. The Horvat love is probably getting to be too much, but his playoff performance is really impressive and his two-way game far exceeds Domi's...

Pretty much summed it up right there.

Smells like another de Haan situation.

Tundra

Oct 20, 2005
Horvat could turn out like Boyd Devereaux. Devereaux's stock went up after he played great in the World Juniors, but his NHL career was certainly lackluster. Devereaux was considered a top two way talent as well.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
I don't think you are alone in your views, but I personally think both Tedenby and Burlon are going to be useful NHLers. I think we'd hear a lot more about Burlon if our ears weren't stuffed with Larsson, Merrill, Urbom, Gelinas, Severson... etc.

Reminds me a lot of Bruce Driver.

I agree, but what I meant is, not with the devils I don't think. Tedenby, because well, I don't think I need to explain there. Burlon, because of our surplus of defensemen. Having all these defensemen is pointless if we're going to just keep them around until they have no trade value and then possibly just lose them for nothing. The deal that was proposed earlier is a perfect way to send them off, but it will never happen anyways.

Last edited:

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Domi is just clueless in his own zone. Like I said in the "draft thread", after watching him in the OHL post season and now the Memorial Cup... he looks like a Tedenby clone.

A sick offensive minded player with brutal defensive awareness.

I want to believe though, that the reason tedenby was treated the way he was is not because of his horrible defensive plays but the fact that he always caused turnovers due to his size. Every time he enters the offensive zone he'd just get crushed and lose the puck. I don't think that will be an issue with Domi (not really supporting or against him).

Ripshot 43

Jul 21, 2010
:laugh: That's actually something I do in my hockey sim games. Somehow I don't think that's how it works in real life though.

The damn games have gotten smarter now too where crappy teams value their 1st rounders higher now, even in future seasons. You were not alone in this tactic :laugh:

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Sounds like CG is incapable of understanding that other people have their own opinions.

I don't really care if you like or dislike what I post, it doesn't automatically mean you know what you're talking about.

hes been infected by the Other Side...sigh. it happens

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
hes been infected by the Other Side...sigh. it happens

Please, give it a break. If I were "infected" I wouldn't be here.

It's not that I don't value other opinions, but that is just an incorrect statement. There are plenty of opinions over there that I don't agree with either.

For example, I don't value Horvat above Domi regardless of if the White House does or here or there. The McIlrath and Tarasenko statement is wrong, whether you want to disguise it as "an opinion" is semantically up to you.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Please, give it a break. If I were "infected" I wouldn't be here.

It's not that I don't value other opinions, but that is just an incorrect statement. There are plenty of opinions over there that I don't agree with either.

we cant say too much on the subject, so lets not. but youre kidding yourself if you think the worst kinds are those that post there, and post here in a 2 sided fashion under the false pretenses of 'avoiding a banhammer'. lets talk about it in PMs if you want. i really do respect what you post and i generally agree with you. just hate to see you go down that path, youre a quality poster.

nothing wrong w disagreeing, but its HOW you disagree that bleeds through.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
Feel free to PM me, cause you lost me in your attempt to be discrete.

Oh, I'm aware that it wasn't a super accommodating post, but I would have made it regardless of situation. The analogy is totally off first of all. It is also misinformed about Domi as well. Maybe I'm rating him too high on my board, very possible, but to say he should be picked around 20 is an uneducated statement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad