THW column: Are Devils Looking To Trade Up In Draft?

Traitor Zach

Released from Glory
Jan 29, 2012
Northeast
I think it's comical that the Tampa board wouldn't do it. They would leave the draft with Larsson + another very good D-man. Their blueline is rat piss and they don't want to improve it?? Makes no sense. And the less said about their tending the better :laugh:

Their board might not do it but most boards (including ours) are completely deluded about how trade value is assumed and perceived. Yzerman would probably consider doing #3 for Larsson straight up. He's taken a ton of heat for how terrible his D has been despite the non-stop trades and signings and missing on them to try and address it and if he doesn't get them into the playoffs next year, there will likely be a new GM. Outside of Hedman, he's got a bunch of washed up guys like Ohlund and Salo or ones who are mediocre at this point a la Brewer and guys like Aulie/Carle who are one dimensional (Aulie with his physical play and Carle with being offensive minded).

Plus I don't how any fanbase couldn't be excited by the thought of a Larsson-Hedman pairing for the next decade.

That said, I don't see us moving Larsson regardless. I don't think it's impossible we don't look to move up in the draft, but if anything gets moved it will probably be our 2nd rounder or one of our D prospects to move up a few spots.

Dec 10, 2008
NoDak now NYC area
Their board might not do it but most boards (including ours) are completely deluded about how trade value is assumed and perceived. Yzerman would probably consider doing #3 for Larsson straight up. He's taken a ton of heat for how terrible his D has been despite the non-stop trades and signings and missing on them to try and address it and if he doesn't get them into the playoffs next year, there will likely be a new GM. Outside of Hedman, he's got a bunch of washed up guys like Ohlund and Salo or ones who are mediocre at this point a la Brewer and guys like Aulie/Carle who are one dimensional (Aulie with his physical play and Carle with being offensive minded).

Plus I don't how any fanbase couldn't be excited by the thought of a Larsson-Hedman pairing for the next decade.

That said, I don't see us moving Larsson regardless. I don't think it's impossible we don't look to move up in the draft, but if anything gets moved it will probably be our 2nd rounder or one of our D prospects to move up a few spots.

Completely agree. I think it's much more feasible to get to the 7 spot or so which would probably mean Monahan or Lindholm. Just depends on how Lou and co rate them compared to staying put and probably getting shinkaruk...

As for yzerman I don't care. I personally think it's hilarious how many good years of Stamkos he's wasting by icing a junk blueline and goalie. Vinny/ MSL aren't getting any younger either...

So far he's traded away two second round picks, a third, a fourth and conacher for lindback and bishop..

Last edited:

ADD-devil950003

Dec 6, 2006
NY
Keep AL...draft at #9...try to package the 39th overall plus roster players/prospect to try to get another late first (20th-30th). This is a huge draft for us since we dont have a first next year and for how much hype this draft is getting for being so deep. Would love to come out of this draft with a blue chiper and another top tier prospect. Either way whoever we draft at #9 will automatically become our #1 young gun.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
lol AL+1st rounder ? Larsson himself was #4 overall and he's more than likely to improve for at least 3 or 4 years again. Ask Carolina why they don't draft dmen with their high picks, you need to be patient with their development, and it took 2 years to only scratch the surface of Larsson's potential. My personal opinion is that he's having a breakout season in the next 2 years. Trading him now would be a terrible move, I mean Larsson's going to worth a lot more than a draft pick pretty soon IMHO.

Trading up for Edmonton's pick looks way more interesting to me, especially if it's to draft Lindholm or Nichushkin.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
lol AL+1st rounder ? Larsson himself was #4 overall and he's more than likely to improve for at least 3 or 4 years again. Ask Carolina why they don't draft dmen with their high picks, you need to be patient with their development, and it took 2 years to only scratch the surface of Larsson's potential. My personal opinion is that he's having a breakout season in the next 2 years. Trading him now would be a terrible move, I mean Larsson's going to worth a lot more than a draft pick pretty soon IMHO.

Trading up for Edmonton's pick looks way more interesting to me, especially if it's to draft Lindholm or Nichushkin.

Canes did make a smart pick in Ryan Murphy at 12th overall in 2011.

From what I've read Lindholm's ceiling is a 2nd line forward and he's not a big strong guy.
I am so skeptical of Swedes at this point, fool me once shame on me, fool me 3 times shame on you David Conte.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
We're not trading Larsson or Merrill, folks

Great debate you guys have going on here.

Important to note, though, that my column did not mention the possibility of trading Larsson, which this debate has become largely about.

It is relevant to consider Tampa's organizational needs. Offense and forward are clearly not the problem. They have invested a great deal of assets in young goaltenders Lindback and Bishop, and though he is a few years from the NHL, I believe Andrei Vasilevski is the best netminder prospect in the entire league.

What Tampa needs, both now and in the future, is defense. The Devils could offer NHL-ready prospects Urbom/Gelinas/Burlon, all of whom would likely make the Lightning blueline next season.

Also vital to consider that Tampa would be (in this hypothetical) moving down six spots, where they would still likely have a choice of highly regarded defensemen Zadorov/Ristolainen.

Would, say, Zadorov + Urbom + Burlon + Tedenby for Drouin be that absurd of a deal when the Devils need forwards and the Lightning need defense?

That being said, I think it's more likely the Devils move up to Edmonton's #7 spot, or perhaps Carolina's #5. Nashville at #4 is not moving (they want Barkov bad) and Calgary at #6 is also looking to move up to Florida's #2 or Tampa's #3.

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Well, Merril and Larsson will remain in the discussion as long as we'll talk about Tampa's 1st rounder.

IMO Tampa won't be close to give up on Drouin the 3rd overall pick until Merril is mentioned with our 1st rounder, and that's a minimum. While it'd be a very tempting move to get such a promising forward, on the long term, we could even be better with both Merrill AND Nichushkin on our team, and keeping Merrill + Lindholm ain't too shabby either.

The point is that it's better to forget trading up for Drouin (or McKinnon) IMO. Will cost too much.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
9 to 3 is too big of a jump.

But if Calgary moves up to 3, then I could see us potentially trading to 5 or 6 with the D prospect being the chip to get us there.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
Seeing how the only assets we have to trade are d-men, I just don't see Lou trading them to get a forward prospect (#3 pick).

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008

Without going into too much detail about trade value and whatnot, if he was going to trade defensive prospects / roster d-men for a forward prospect, why didn't he just trade them for a proven roster forward (like eberle?) It was clear as ever that we needed scoring help really badly, and the fact that we had d-men up the ass.

B A T M A N

Would be major robbery for us, especially if we could acquire Yandle. Probably wouldn't take much. Josefson +. You've got to think that Phoenix would want young players, a fair pick, and obviously cap relief.

Yandle + Drouin = A+ offseason for us. And we'd still have a lot of money left over for some FA options.

KohoDonuts88

Sep 6, 2006
New Brunswick
Would be major robbery for us, especially if we could acquire Yandle. Probably wouldn't take much. Josefson +. You've got to think that Phoenix would want young players, a fair pick, and obviously cap relief.

Yandle + Drouin = A+ offseason for us. And we'd still have a lot of money left over for some FA options.

Josefson, Fayne and a prospect/pick for Yandle. Would rather move an older d-man than Fayne, but you've gotta give to get.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
In our favor.

So, that's effectively the #3 pick, for:
the #9, + 2 future NHL Dmen and a former #1.

I've been watching Drouin, and he's definitely a great player - but I don't know if he's really going to be a once-in-a-generation talent.

He's got a pretty dynamic linemate, and I know that's the old Henrique knock, but still...

Any worries about his lack of size?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad