OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

ThePrideofStockholm

Sep 29, 2017
Stockholm
How are you! Long time.

I tie everything streamers, dries, nymphs and a bunch of saltwater stuff(tarpon, bonefish and permit - some bass) flies

I haven't done many articulated streamers. But I do tons of single hook streamers - mostly for saltwater

This my tarpon box :). Needs cleaning and refilling but these are tied by me.
View attachment 835131
Looks great, Im good. Waiting for spring so I can start my Sea trout fishing. I would Love to get a tarpoon on a fly rod. Going up north every summer so I do most of my fly finging then. Got a bad shoulder so its getting harder to wade but its worth it. Fly fishing is like heroine, after your fish you are hooked

Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Looks great, Im good. Waiting for spring so I can start my Sea trout fishing. I would Love to get a tarpoon on a fly rod. Going up north every summer so I do most of my fly finging then. Got a bad shoulder so its getting harder to wade but its worth it. Fly fishing is like heroine, after your fish you are hooked
Yeah I have a bad shoulder too. Doctors visit tomorrow.

Are you fishing sea run trout in freshwater? Lapland?

Reactions: My3Sons

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Best of luck on the medical visit. Hopefully it can be repaired with rehab as opposed to surgery.
I hope so too but I have a feeling that I am not going to escape the knife.

I know that I had a torn rotator cuff and bone spurs and I have been able to live with it for a while but all of a sudden the pain has gotten constant. If I get out of this without surgery it'll be a miracle.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I hope so too but I have a feeling that I am not going to escape the knife.

I know that I had a torn rotator cuff and bone spurs and I have been able to live with it for a while but all of a sudden the pain has gotten constant. If I get out of this without surgery it'll be a miracle.
Hopefully it's at least arthroscopic. Then at least you are mostly just rehabbing and the surgery itself is minimally invasive.

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So I had X-rays today met with the doctor who just happened to also be an archer and bow hunter. I can't even begin to tell you how happy that me.

X-ray showed severe inflammation of the bursa and calcification in the rotator cuff.

Rotator cuff syndrome. Bursitis with a bad impingement. Was the final diagnosis. Going to see how physical therapy does for 6 weeks if there is little improvement we'll do a cortisone shot and look at next steps. May 15th next dance.

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
So I had X-rays today met with the doctor who just happened to also be an archer and bow hunter. I can't even begin to tell you how happy that me.

X-ray showed severe inflammation of the bursa and calcification in the rotator cuff.

Rotator cuff syndrome. Bursitis with a bad impingement. Was the final diagnosis. Going to see how physical therapy does for 6 weeks if there is little improvement we'll do a cortisone shot and looks at next steps. May 15th next dance.

No MRI? I’m surpsied. Hopefully rehab improves things

My3Sons

Sponsor
No MRI and it was a MRI facility.
Rehab is always the place to start with some sort of degenerative injury. I had a shoulder MRI years ago and it kinda sorta showed what you have. I still have to work to maintain my strength in that shoulder. I think my wife said that if the pain and my complaining didn't subside after the rehab the next treatment was to sew my mouth shut. Hopefully you can avoid that. It hurt pulling out those stitches and I'm still not sure if they helped my shoulder that much.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Rehab is always the place to start with some sort of degenerative injury. I had a shoulder MRI years ago and it kinda sorta showed what you have. I still have to work to maintain my strength in that shoulder. I think my wife said that if the pain and my complaining didn't subside after the rehab the next treatment was to sew my mouth shut. Hopefully you can avoid that. It hurt pulling out those stitches and I'm still not sure if they helped my shoulder that much.
I have been complaining nonstop for more than a month. I don't think I have had a good night sleep for two months.

I was kind of shocked that the doctor didn't want to do anything besides PT. I am in a quite a bit of pain and he basically said the most conservative approach is the safest and that every other approach can have long term side effects.

I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize my ability to shoot a bow long-term and I conveyed that to him. So with that I'm going to do 6 weeks of physical therapy and then try a limited shooting session...30 arrow half round.

And actually, if I can get through a half round I'll be super happy because right now I can't even shoot 1 arrow.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
So after the doctors my wife took me out to lunch so we could discuss what the doctor said.

We went to a place near the doctors office that we weren't really familiar with. I guess we got there around 3:00 which was the start of their happy hour.. . I didn't realize that there was a 55+ community across the street from the restaurant/pub and at 3:30 it was like the movie Cacoon. Like 20 70 year old dudes in golf attire walk in and started ordering beers. They were all in great shape and tan and funny as hell...I said to one of the guys it's a rare occasion when I'm the youngest guy at the bar. And they all cracked up.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I have been complaining nonstop for more than a month. I don't think I have had a good night sleep for two months.

I was kind of shocked that the doctor didn't want to do anything besides PT. I am in a quite a bit of pain and he basically said the most conservative approach is the safest and that every other approach can have long term side effects.

I don't want to do anything that could jeopardize my ability to shoot a bow long-term and I conveyed that to him. So with that I'm going to do 6 weeks of physical therapy and then try a limited shooting session...30 arrow half round.

And actually, if I can get through a half round I'll be super happy because right now I can't even shoot 1 arrow.

Hopefully it works for you. I know the archery is central to your passions. Ultimately they almost certainly can fix it but it’s mostly an issue of how long it will take.

Reactions: JimEIV and Bleedred

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra

Rotator cuff syndrome. Bursitis with a bad impingement. Was the final diagnosis. Going to see how physical therapy does for 6 weeks if there is little improvement we'll do a cortisone shot and look at next steps. May 15th next dance.
Oh man that sucks but good too I guess if you can rehab and there's no surgery, the impingment thing is rough though. The infammation is the worst, if you can get that down it makes it much easier.

It's a month today since I started rehab but it's been very slow, I've gotten a lot more range of motion and strength back but still a lot to go. It's still really painful, especially at night holy shit. I could have gotten the cortisone shot too but didn't do it...yet. I go back to the doc next week, same thing, reevaluate and go from there.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto

well, if it doesn't work out you can always try this.

but seriously, best of luck man

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh man that sucks but good too I guess if you can rehab and there's no surgery, the impingment thing is rough though. The infammation is the worst, if you can get that down it makes it much easier.

It's a month today since I started rehab but it's been very slow, I've gotten a lot more range of motion and strength back but still a lot to go. It's still really painful, especially at night holy shit. I could have gotten the cortisone shot too but didn't do it...yet. I go back to the doc next week, same thing, reevaluate and go from there.
Good luck on follow up with the doctor. I start PT Monday. Should be fun.

well, if it doesn't work out you can always try this.

but seriously, best of luck man
There is another girl I've seen in person doing this. I think I have some pictures somewhere of her shooting at an an archery in Pennsylvania.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Wrapping up a 5 day fast in ~2 1/2 hours - only water & salt water since Sunday night. Wasn't sure going into it if I'd be able to make it as I've only done a 3 day fast once a couple years ago, but it wasn't terribly bad - energy levels were good overall and was able to get a decent amount of exercise in, especially considering I hadn't done much leading up to this. Fasting / One Meal a Day seems to be the best approach for me personally - got motivated to do this after hearing a recent Kevin James interview on Joe Rogan where he said he once fasted for 41 1/2 days straight. Plus with the weather getting nicer out, I realized I needed to really get going to slim down by the start of summer. Hoping this is a good spring board towards that goal.

Going with some fresh made bacon cheeseburgers tonight, sans buns and ketchup as I'm going to try to avoid carbs and sugar as much as possible for a while, the latter of which is my Achilles heel as man do I especially love drowning stuff in sauces. Will also have some bourbon on the rocks versus the usual Manhattan. Just trying to keep myself busy and not stare at the clock at this point.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
No more reliable indication of trout season(bug season) than the first blooms of forsythias

This mornings walk.
IMG_20240316_103924839.jpg

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
went and played disc golf for the first time earlier today with four friends at a course in a park about 25 minutes away. (they've all played many times before)

i never knew they made different types of frisbee 'clubs' for this game.... distance driver, mid range and putter.

only 9 holes but we played twice.....

first round waaaaaay dead last +14 .... next round i win it with +5.

damn right my learning curve :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: My3Sons and JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad