OT: Thread About Nothing (TaN #...lost count)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Oh @TheUnseenHand here is the Solarez I was talking about.

I only buy the little .5 ounce tubes and they last me a few months or more.

The shiny wing case is the resin. I use a tiny drop on head of a needle and spread it thin.

IMG_20240306_142556012_HDR.jpg

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Oh @TheUnseenHand here is the Solarez I was talking about.

I only buy the little .5 ounce tubes and they last me a few months or more.

The shiny wing case is the resin. I use a tiny drop on head of a needle and spread it thin.

View attachment 830567
Given your incredibly advanced age, you must wear a jeweler's loupe or something similar to work with such precision on such tiny surfaces.

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Given your incredibly advanced age, you must wear a jeweler's loupe or something similar to work with such precision on such tiny surfaces.
I just started wearing readers when I tie smaller flies about a year ago. It really helps. The most important thing is the lighting though. A good daylight lamp is critical.

This isn't that small. That fly is 3/4 of an inch. For most of my fresh water flies that's on the very big side unless I am tying a baitfish pattern those can get big.

I just tied a dozen crabs for friend that heading down to Louisiana for redfish in April.

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
I just started wearing readers when I tie smaller flies about a year ago. It really help. The most important thing is the lighting though. A good daylight lamp is critical.

This isn't that small. That fly is 3/4 of an inch. For most of my fresh water flies that's on the very big side unless I am tying a baitfish pattern those can get big.

I just tied a dozen crabs for fried that heading down to Louisiana for redfish in April.
MMMMMM......blackened redfish.....

Reactions: JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Jim do you only do dry flies or do you use streamers and nymphs too?
How are you! Long time.

I tie everything streamers, dries, nymphs and a bunch of saltwater stuff(tarpon, bonefish and permit - some bass) flies

I haven't done many articulated streamers. But I do tons of single hook streamers - mostly for saltwater

This my tarpon box :). Needs cleaning and refilling but these are tied by me.
IMG_20240313_095642211.jpg

Last edited:

My3Sons

Sponsor
How are you! Long time.

I tie everything streamers, dries, nymphs and a bunch of saltwater stuff(tarpon, bonefish and permit - some bass) flies

I haven't done many articulate streamers. But I do tons of single hook streamers - mostly for saltwater

This my tarpon box :). Needs cleaning and refilling but these are tied by me.
View attachment 835131
You should really think about putting together a book on the subject. You clearly are quite passionate and up to date on the techniques and seem to have the knowledge of matching the style of fly to the specific fish and I bet you could even offer which files work best geographically. Just a thought. You should share your extensive knowledge and experience with others.

Reactions: Guadana and JimEIV

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
You should really think about putting together a book on the subject. You clearly are quite passionate and up to date on the techniques and seem to have the knowledge of matching the style of fly to the specific fish and I bet you could even offer which files work best geographically. Just a thought. You should share your extensive knowledge and experience with others.
Sounds a little bit too much like work to me :)

But seriously there are a lot of people out there who are doing exactly that.
A lot of really good people who have dedicated their life to fly tying and fishing.

And I do help a lot of people especially with saltwater advice and flies. Most of my friends are freshwater trout fishermen and saltwater fly fishing can be a bit intimidating... imagine having 30/40 years of trout fishing knowledge that's all pretty much useless on the salt flats of the Caribbean or Mexico....but every trout fishermen gets the itch to try bonefish or tarpon, maybe snook or redfish...and it's almost like they're starting over, the equipment is different, the casting is much more demanding in much more difficult conditions and all the flies are different...you need to learn everything all over and get all new equipment. So I tie for my friends and often let them borrow my stuff. Try to prepare them for what they are going to encounter and make sure their double haul timing is down:)

Last edited:
Reactions: Guadana and My3Sons

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad