OT: Thread About Nothing 212….wishing it was 2112

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
Do not know if any of you follow horse racing but Bafferts Derby winner tested for too high of an amount of a steroid and Churchill banned him from the grounds pending the results of the split sample. If this is true Baffert officially has the biggest set of nuts in the world. If you are not familiar he has had multiple tests comes back positive and a history of problems with his horses. I did well on the Derbyy - I bet the horse that ran 2nd with 1 unit to win, 2 to place, and 3 units to show so I did very well. The hallmark of the trainers that have been suspended for drugs/get a lot of positives is their horses ability to dig in late and outfinish competitors. Watching live I was convinced Mandolin was going by Medina Spirit but he could not do it. Will be interesting to see how this progresses. Horse racing usually just sweeps these things under the rug.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Do not know if any of you follow horse racing but Bafferts Derby winner tested for too high of an amount of a steroid and Churchill banned him from the grounds pending the results of the split sample. If this is true Baffert officially has the biggest set of nuts in the world. If you are not familiar he has had multiple tests comes back positive and a history of problems with his horses. I did well on the Derbyy - I bet the horse that ran 2nd with 1 unit to win, 2 to place, and 3 units to show so I did very well. The hallmark of the trainers that have been suspended for drugs/get a lot of positives is their horses ability to dig in late and outfinish competitors. Watching live I was convinced Mandolin was going by Medina Spirit but he could not do it. Will be interesting to see how this progresses. Horse racing usually just sweeps these things under the rug.

So was the horse hanging out with a bad crowd or does he smoke weed to help with the pain of racing?

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
So was the horse hanging out with a bad crowd or does he smoke weed to help with the pain of racing?
If you can believe it it sounds like Baffert is going to argue someone outside of his training team gave it to the horse- conspiracy theory at its best. Two of his horses tested with too high of an amount of this steroid on a big day of racing at Oaklawn Park last year - only 2 horses out of all the ones tested that had too high of an amount of this steroid. Somebody is out to get him;)

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Sponsor
If you can believe it it sounds like Baffert is going to argue someone outside of his training team gave it to the horse- conspiracy theory at its best. Two of his horses tested with too high of an amount of this steroid on a big day of racing at Oaklawn Park last year - only 2 horses out of all the ones tested that had too high of an amount of this steroid. Somebody is out to get him;)

Apparently the horse went to the Dominican Republic in the offseason and he bought the steroid over the counter. He didn’t realize it was illegal in the US. Alternatively the horse had it prescribed by his primary care physician to treat a glandular issue and the doctor didn’t realize it was on the banned substance list. Alternatively the horse ate a steak that had higher levels of hormones.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Been on a Rainbow kick this week. Goddamn Ritchie Blackmore is a genius. Also, listened to Black Sabbath Sabotage album for the first time in quite a while....that second half of Symptom of the Universe is mind blowing. Ozzy can really sing his balls off when he wants to.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Yeah it is fun but messy, surfboards are expensive as hell these days and I'm cheap so I build a few every year for myself and some friends. I used to do a lot more and sell them but don't have the space, I've probably made around 80 of them, I'll post some pics later.

What kind of equipment do you have? I only have the basic stuff like a table saw, chop saw and a router. I'd love to get a jointer and a planer and get a setup to do those pocket screws.
You're him....your Big Z!

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Been on a Rainbow kick this week. Goddamn Ritchie Blackmore is a genius. Also, listened to Black Sabbath Sabotage album for the first time in quite a while....that second half of Symptom of the Universe is mind blowing. Ozzy can really sing his balls off when he wants to.
Blackmore was/is a nutty guy from the stories I've heard, he and Ian Gillan really couldnt stand each other while in Deep Purple, and Rainbow was a good band with a bunch of good singers too. Richie once mentioned how he likes Ozzy as a singer, said he has the most unique voice in rock.
Sabotage and Volume 4 were great albums, not the radio success of their first two albums but as a Sabbath fan, I could (and still do) listen to them all the time, really cool stuff.

Last edited:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
Blackmore was/is a nutty guy from the stories I've heard, he and Ian Gillan really couldnt stand each other while in Deep Purple, and Rainbow was a good band with a bunch of good singers too. Richie once mentioned how he likes Ozzy as a singer, said he has the most unique voice in rock.
Sabotage and Volume 4 were great albums, not the radio success of their first two albums but as a Sabbath fan, I could (and still do) listen to them all the time, really cool stuff.

the coda to the best purple album……

My3Sons

Sponsor
My Mt Rushmore of guitarists:

Tony Iommi, Ritchie Blackmore, Jimmi Hendrix, Chuck Berry

Chick Berry was iconic but may have been more of a songwriter than a guitarist as I see it. I think mine would be Hendrix Beck Clapton and Van Halen just as guitar players. Gilmour just narrowly misses beating out Jeff Beck. I can see others adding a non-rock era guitarist like Django Reinhardt or Les Paul. It’s an interesting question. I’m not a musician so I can only go by what I hear and can recognize as opposed to someone who plays and will have much better insight.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
Chick Berry was iconic but may have been more of a songwriter than a guitarist as I see it. I think mine would be Hendrix Beck Clapton and Van Halen just as guitar players. Gilmour just narrowly misses beating out Jeff Beck. I can see others adding a non-rock era guitarist like Django Reinhardt or Les Paul. It’s an interesting question. I’m not a musician so I can only go by what I hear and can recognize as opposed to someone who plays and will have much better insight.
Reason I went with Chuck is because he was probably the most influential guitarist of all time. Inspired pretty much every guitar player that came after him including Hendrix, Clapton, Richards, Iommi (reason I first picked up a guitar, and reason I play SGs) etc. Imo hes actually the GOAT

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don't even know how I'd do a guitarists list spanning all eras.

I guess if it was just my favorite classic era guys: Iommi, Hendrix, Allman, McLaughlin

Modern list would be way different and weirder.

My3Sons

Sponsor
So this topic is near and dear to my heart. Like the Golden Retriever of music discussions for me. Ask any classic rock fan and you'll get different responses. The attached video goes over the list and hits on most of the guys mentioned even if it doesn't get all of them and doesn't order them in a consensus fashion beyond maybe number 1.

I went back and rethought what a "Mount Rushmore" would encapsulate. To me, it's guys who built the foundation for where we are today. You probably don't go back and add FDR JFK or Reagan to Mt. Rushmore even if you saw them as giants. Accordingly, to me I'll suggest that my Mount Rushmore is different than my favorites or the guys I think were/are the best. Props to @LeedsMonster for the topic. I expect others to have their own view of the Mt. Rushmore definition and even if they agree with me on that, I expect their inclusions to be different.

My Mt. Rushmore would be:

Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Les Paul

I don't include great players from the recent era since to a man or woman, they are all judged against Hendrix to me. For Mt. Rushmore purposes I'll include him as the embodiment of modern rock guitar. I agree that Berry's 1950s work influenced and an argument can be made that he was at least indirectly responsible, on some level, for most riff-based classic rock that came out after 1963. Buddy Holly would also be part of that discussion. Robert Johnson, to me, invented modern rock and roll in 1936. Think about that, 1936. Of course, Memphis Minnie wrote When the Levee Breaks in 1929, but I digress. Finally, as great as any number of players are, there are two iconic guitars that stand above the rest for most people. The Fender Strat, and the Gibson Les Paul. Paul is often credited creating the modern solid body guitar and also adding things like effects pedals and multi-tracking. To me, he deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore.

The funny thing is while I recognize the genius of these men, I rarely listen to them. Once in a blue moon I'll have my history of rock discussion with one of my sons' friends and play Crossroads Blues but unless Hendrix is in a streaming music feed I'm not choosing to listen to him. I haven't chosen to listen to Berry or Paul in I can't even recall.

My favorites are inextricably linked with the songs they perform in and would be an entirely different list.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
So this topic is near and dear to my heart. Like the Golden Retriever of music discussions for me. Ask any classic rock fan and you'll get different responses. The attached video goes over the list and hits on most of the guys mentioned even if it doesn't get all of them and doesn't order them in a consensus fashion beyond maybe number 1.

I went back and rethought what a "Mount Rushmore" would encapsulate. To me, it's guys who built the foundation for where we are today. You probably don't go back and add FDR JFK or Reagan to Mt. Rushmore even if you saw them as giants. Accordingly, to me I'll suggest that my Mount Rushmore is different than my favorites or the guys I think were/are the best. Props to @LeedsMonster for the topic. I expect others to have their own view of the Mt. Rushmore definition and even if they agree with me on that, I expect their inclusions to be different.

My Mt. Rushmore would be:

Robert Johnson
Chuck Berry
Jimi Hendrix
Les Paul

I don't include great players from the recent era since to a man or woman, they are all judged against Hendrix to me. For Mt. Rushmore purposes I'll include him as the embodiment of modern rock guitar. I agree that Berry's 1950s work influenced and an argument can be made that he was at least indirectly responsible, on some level, for most riff-based classic rock that came out after 1963. Buddy Holly would also be part of that discussion. Robert Johnson, to me, invented modern rock and roll in 1936. Think about that, 1936. Of course, Memphis Minnie wrote When the Levee Breaks in 1929, but I digress. Finally, as great as any number of players are, there are two iconic guitars that stand above the rest for most people. The Fender Strat, and the Gibson Les Paul. Paul is often credited creating the modern solid body guitar and also adding things like effects pedals and multi-tracking. To me, he deserves to be on the Mt. Rushmore.

The funny thing is while I recognize the genius of these men, I rarely listen to them. Once in a blue moon I'll have my history of rock discussion with one of my sons' friends and play Crossroads Blues but unless Hendrix is in a streaming music feed I'm not choosing to listen to him. I haven't chosen to listen to Berry or Paul in I can't even recall.

My favorites are inextricably linked with the songs they perform in and would be an entirely different list.

This is hands down one of the best posts I've ever read on this site. Kudos, and thank you very much for the read.
The inclusion of Les Paul is a brilliant take, and one I didnt even consider. Definitely a worthy inclusion.

As far as Robert Johnson goes...you could not be more correct. I thought long and hard about putting him on mine, and regrettably decided not to. Earlier I referred to Chuck Berry as the "GOAT", but I think it is an inarguable fact that the title belongs to Johnson. Without Johnson there is likely no Chuck Berry, and in turn none of the guitarists who drew inspiration from him. Robert Johnson is truly the godfather of rock and roll, and I'm ashamed of myself for omitting him lol.

Edit: I'd love to see your top 10 personal favorite list as well!

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Eddie is definitely a good choice. Not necessarily revolutionary IMO, but he definitely took guitar playing to a different level.
#4 is a tough choice, yeah Eddie was up there for sure, and like you I like Blackmore, and Carlos is great, and a lot of bands had influential guitarists, Randy Rhoads, Kieth Richards, Uli Roth, Jack White, Billy Gibbons, etc etc etc some played great while others came up with riffs that last a lifetime
I saw Stanley Jordan at a little tiny place in Piermont NY, pretty much unknown but an excellent guitarist, yeah he plays 2 guitars at the same time!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad