OT: Thread About Nothing 212….wishing it was 2112

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
#4 is a tough choice, yeah Eddie was up there for sure, and like you I like Blackmore, and Carlos is great, and a lot of bands had influential guitarists, Randy Rhoads, Kieth Richards, Uli Roth, Jack White, Billy Gibbons, etc etc etc some played great while others came up with riffs that last a lifetime
I saw Stanley Jordan at a little tiny place in Piermont NY, pretty much unknown but an excellent guitarist, yeah he plays 2 guitars at the same time!

Wow, that's very interesting. Cool video.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Wow, that's very interesting. Cool video.
yeah a friend of mine down the street is into guitars and I help him with car repairs so he took me to see him, because he knows I love music, esp guitar based bands. I was impressed with Stanley Jordan, but looking at the posts in here you and M3S really look at the history of guitarists as the "Mt Rushmore'' of guitarists and all the guitarists mentioned are valid. My list is basically based on what I've listened to and consider "great". I'm glad to have grown up in the "prime" of guitar rock (OK a few years late but caught the end of it all)

Reactions: My3Sons

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
This is hands down one of the best posts I've ever read on this site. Kudos, and thank you very much for the read.
The inclusion of Les Paul is a brilliant take, and one I didnt even consider. Definitely a worthy inclusion.

As far as Robert Johnson goes...you could not be more correct. I thought long and hard about putting him on mine, and regrettably decided not to. Earlier I referred to Chuck Berry as the "GOAT", but I think it is an inarguable fact that the title belongs to Johnson. Without Johnson there is likely no Chuck Berry, and in turn none of the guitarists who drew inspiration from him. Robert Johnson is truly the godfather of rock and roll, and I'm ashamed of myself for omitting him lol.

Edit: I'd love to see your top 10 personal favorite list as well!

Those are kind words. Thanks so much. I think that everyone’s list is valid and nobody should be hamstrung by someone else’s version of what this might mean. You can up with a great topic and I’m enjoying all the responses. I’ve heard plenty of folks over the years say that Dimebag Darrell was far and away their favorite and others have mentioned Buckethead or Tom Morello or Yngve Malmstein. All very talented no doubt. I’ll have to think a bit about my favorites but as I said in my earlier posts my favorites are typically bound up with the songs they play. So for example I think Stevie Ray Vaughn was incredible. He could sound like Hendrix when he wanted to. That take skill AND guts. That said, like Hendrix I don’t tend to listen to him because While I like some of the songs I don’t love them. I’ll get back to you on this. You’ve given me food for thought.

Reactions: The 29th Pick

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
yeah a friend of mine down the street is into guitars and I help him with car repairs so he took me to see him, because he knows I love music, esp guitar based bands. I was impressed with Stanley Jordan, but looking at the posts in here you and M3S really look at the history of guitarists as the "Mt Rushmore'' of guitarists and all the guitarists mentioned are valid. My list is basically based on what I've listened to and consider "great". I'm glad to have grown up in the "prime" of guitar rock (OK a few years late but caught the end of it all)
Theres no wrong way to make the list brother. Whatever moves you. Music is art in its purest most primal form IMO. Whatever turns you on and illicit that primal reaction from the animal part of your brain is the correct response. Plus, we are all sleeping on Albert King. That guy plays straight from his fkn sack man.

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
Theres no wrong way to make the list brother. Whatever moves you. Music is art in its purest most primal form IMO. Whatever turns you on and illicit that primal reaction from the animal part of your brain is the correct response. Plus, we are all sleeping on Albert King. That guy plays straight from his fkn sack man.
humans and music are really primitive, simple things that move us, its in our DNA
we overlook the "best" or dont give the right people the credit, so many Clapton songs weren't Clapton songs!
Albert King

Robert Johnson

JJ Cale

Last edited:

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
humans and music are really primitive, simple things that move us, its in our DNA
we overlook the "best" or dont give the right people the credit, so many Clapton songs weren't Clapton songs!
Albert King

Robert Johnson

JJ Cale

Absolutely! But the great thing about the blues is that artists were always covering songs they loved, or taking somebody elses riff and building something off it, or even something as simple as a weird timing change.

LeedsMonster

Mar 8, 2008
I dont know how to link videos here, but if you've never listened to Smokestack Lightning by Howling Wolf, treat yourself. It's the very embodiment of this conversation.

Edit: The Complete RPM and Chess version

Reactions: Oneiro

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Speaking of Santana and John McLaughlin, they did a ridiculous concert promoting their Love Devotion Surrender album in '73. The band is crazy. Arto Moreira on percussion and Billy Cobham on drums. If you have the time, despite the rough quality, it's worth a listen:

Another one of my favorites from Santana:

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
lots of good stuff…..

but…..today's mood….

d. boon
eat bay ray
joey shithead
thurston moore
lee ranaldo