Thrashers Bombshell: Owners have wanted to sell since 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I guess we have different understandings of what an "announcement" entails. For me, giving an interview and answering questions is not an announcement.

He wasn't giving an interview. He wanted to get the situation out there and says as much in the article:

Gearon said he is speaking out about the future of the franchise because he does not want potential investors willing to keep the team in Atlanta to step forward after a sale has been completed.

“Long term, it’s important that a message gets out,†Gearon said.

I'm still not following you. Can you be more direct?

If we're to believe John Kincade, this matter is "well beyond kicking the tires". That would imply that there's a certain degree of seriousness to me, that this prospective ownership group has gotten beyond some initial interest and information gathering into actual negotiations. You might have a different understanding of what "well beyond kicking the tires" means.

Plus, he seems to have daily status updates such tweeting a couple of hours ago that "tonight was a good night" and "progress is being made". Which, from following other sales, seems ridiculously unlikely to be solid information. Have you ever heard of such a sale advancing daily? How about a sole member of the media knowing anything about the situation and getting daily updates on it?

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
Yes ... while apparently at the same time being "15 minutes away" from owning a completely different team.

i believe it was actually 13 minutes.

ah, the burden of he being the only solution to two problems....its a cross TNSE must bear i suppose.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
The latter. :)

I cant speak for GSC's knowledge on the subject & its somewhat OT; but no, he's not a "dynamite businessman" and yes, millions upon millions have been dropped by both he & his 2 siblings in some really, and I mean REALLY, absolutely bizarre Tobogganing Expeditions to the Himalayas' to Off-Road Endurance Races across the Gobi Desert. I would also assume that the OP would very likely be privy to some of the families meanderings through his business connections in Southern Ontario. They have World Class legal minds & fixers employed, steering the ship; Michael Clayton types kept busy 24-7, as played by George Clooney, only for real & for keeps. When they "free-lance", they tend to step in it, including but not limited to involvement in the notorious Anthony Pellicano case in LA amongst other jaunts into realms of subterfuge & paranoia.. :naughty:

Nothing wrong with a little conspicuous consumption amongst the super-wealthy of the world Killion. We should come to expect it.;)

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
“Long term, it’s important that a message gets out,†Gearon said. “Hopefully, I think it helps having fans show up because it demonstrates that the city is committed to the team. More importantly, I hope one, two or three other wealthy guys say ‘OK, we’ll hop on this raft with you. Even though you are in choppy waters, stage four rapids, we’ll get on this.’â€

This team is toast.....this is like the second or third time (that I know of) that Ownership has come out and said "We need people to start buying tickets!". Add in whatever it was that Daly said....

You usually don't hear Owners begging fans to show up and begging investors to get on board in "stage four rapids" unless things are just about over.

Fugu

He wasn't giving an interview. He wanted to get the situation out there and says as much in the article:

If we're to believe John Kincade, this matter is "well beyond kicking the tires". That would imply that there's a certain degree of seriousness to me, that this prospective ownership group has gotten beyond some initial interest and information gathering into actual negotiations. You might have a different understanding of what "well beyond kicking the tires" means.

Plus, he seems to have daily status updates such tweeting a couple of hours ago that "tonight was a good night" and "progress is being made". Which, from following other sales, seems ridiculously unlikely to be solid information. Have you ever heard of such a sale advancing daily? How about a sole member of the media knowing anything about the situation and getting daily updates on it?

Gearon is just bored at this time of year, and probably will launch yet another suit at the paper and reporter for this misleading information--- the Thrashers aren't for sale, they've never lost money, they were never looking for lead/additional investors, and no one ever mentioned that if local buyers can't be found, well, that "r" word might come up. :sarcasm:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For what it's worth, moments ago on Fan 590 Bettman again skirted around the Atlanta Thrashers situation. He said things like "we have to analyze the situation", etc. As mentioned previously, he and Daly have certainly been consistent in avoiding the sort of supportive comments that we have come to expect from them vis-a-vis Phoenix. It is rather striking actually, and a bit puzzling.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
For what it's worth, moments ago on Fan 590 Bettman again skirted around the Atlanta Thrashers situation. He said things like "we have to analyze the situation", etc. As mentioned previously, he and Daly have certainly been consistent in avoiding the sort of supportive comments that we have come to expect from them vis-a-vis Phoenix. It is rather striking actually, and a bit puzzling.

Bettman twice used the phrase "as we speak" when talking about things being status quo and nothing to report. Seems to me that things might change in shortly.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

That was a very weird, softball interview. MacLean stated that an outdoor game in Winnipeg in February would be a great way to introduce the Thrashers to the city. Bettman joked that he has been in Winnipeg in February and that it is cold. He offered his usual deflections that the Thrashers' partners have been in flux, etc, that the basketball operation is also affected, but none of his normal bluster to not get the fans in Winnipeg in too excited - that he'll he be the one to make an announcement if there will be one, none of that at all. It was a kinder, gentler Uncle Gary this time. Really strange.

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
I think Gearon's surprise announcement might have to do with the possibility that the Thashers won't be sold, at least not as soon as the ASG would like.

For over two years, we've been reading rumors that "a group" from Winnipeg has been trying to relocate the Thrashers there. Then, somehow TNSE's name is revealed to be the out-of-town interest ready to purchase and relocate the Coyotes if they cannot be sold locally. While that whole saga has had its up's and down's, ASG might have felt threatened that they would be stuck with the Thrashers if TNSE purchased the Coyotes instead, leaving the ASG to own the Thrashers for the foreseeable future, losing 20 million each season in the process.

As a result, Gearon is pleading for owners to buy the team so that ASG isn't left paying for their losses.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Admittedly, I'm not really educated on franchise purchase negotiations and legal issues, but how much can Gary really divulge IF there are current negotiations to purchase the team and also considering A$G is about to head back to court to sue over not being able to sell the team. It may be in his best interest to be hush.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
That was a very weird, softball interview. MacLean stated that an outdoor game in Winnipeg in February would be a great way to introduce the Thrashers to the city. Bettman joked that he has been in Winnipeg in February and that it is cold. He offered his usual deflections that the Thrashers' partners have been in flux, etc, that the basketball operation is also affected, but none of his normal bluster to not get the fans in Winnipeg in too excited - that he'll he be the one to make an announcement if there will be one, none of that at all. It was a kinder, gentler Uncle Gary this time. Really strange.
He's preparing for the move I guess.

I hope PHX is happy. That crap just cost us a top 10 TV market.

Gump Hasek

Spleen Merchant
Nov 9, 2005
222 Tudor Terrace

Or perhaps instead it is a bottom 5 TV market for hockey, for those of us grounded in today's reality.

Aside from that, the cost is in reality nothing as of now. Phoenix and Atlanta still both have their teams as of today. Any talk of anything else is pure speculation.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Or perhaps instead it is a bottom 5 TV market for hockey, for those of us grounded in today's reality.

Aside from that, the cost is in reality nothing as of now. Phoenix and Atlanta still both have their teams as of today. Any talk of anything else is pure speculation.
True but I would rather have the Jets back.

CorbeauNoir

Apr 13, 2010

More people attend Oilers games in person than people in Atlanta watch the Thrashers on TV. Even if the NHL wasn't a gate-driven league TV ratings aren't the be-all and end-all of franchise viability - especially when virtually nobody is tuning in anyway. Otherwise why not move them to someplace like Houston instead?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Looks like the ball is rolling, and it's not Kincade this time. AJC:

Sorry could only allude to trade and missed final details as I was working on another big story involving #Thrashers ownership.

More to come as I dig on this story but suffice to say "kicking the tires" may be turning into a "test drive" soon. Deal still months away.

For those obviously interested - the news would be good as far as you are concerned on #Thrashers ownership front.

Bear with my folks, but I obviously need time to get this story right.

http://twitter.com/ajcthrashers

I will post the story as soon as he's done.

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
and suddenly, the quiet is deafening in the tundra.

Although I will always support moving the Islanders or expansion in Canada.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

Whoa...easy. I'm sure there isn't a deal that close to being done. It's just somebody interested. Loooong way to go.

Oh, and please don't generalize our fanbase by him calling out another team.

Killroy*

Proceed with caution. As Vivs said, "deal still months away." A deal like this, that we still know nothing about, could easily fall through within that time frame.

Also, having been on the bad end of the relocation rumors, why would you say you'd support relocating another NHL team?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Proceed with caution. As Vivs said, "deal still months away." A deal like this, that we still know nothing about, could easily fall through within that time frame.

Also, having been on the bad end of the relocation rumors, why would you say you'd support relocating another NHL team?

Agreed. I've personally always said that I believe Canada should get teams, however through expansion and not relocation of any team.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I'd be optimistic, but you're not out of the woods yet. But obviously this takes Kincade's credibility up pretty high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille