Thrashers Bombshell: Owners have wanted to sell since 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSC2k2*

While I hope it's true, I think that Kincade's optimism is a little too over the top. How can they be that far along already?
You should not assume that a transaction or process is only just beginning the moment that it comes out in the newspaper or other media. Business does not wait to proceed until the media is ready to start paying attention or asking questions.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
You should not assume that a transaction or process is only just beginning the moment that it comes out in the newspaper or other media. Business does not wait to proceed until the media is ready to start paying attention or asking questions.

amen to that....sometimes a sale process can go on for a year before the main stream media reports on it. ;)

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!
Not a fan of the CFL so I can't really comment on that, but thats why I hope you get PHX instead. I mean to lose the 9th largest TV market would be awful. PHX has had longer, 15+ years and these problems have been going on for 5(?) years now? PHX can be replaced IMO and if not we can go to Vegas or Portland.

Truth be told, I hope we get none of the above... Now if Winnipeg got a team that was in the Bruins division... different story :laugh:

For those that think TNSE would buy the Thrashers to keep the team in Atlanta should share their drugs with me... I could use the escape from reality. :shakehead

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
That's fair, no debating that, just as long as you don't paint every Winnipegger like that - there are tens of thousands of hockey fans in the city, so the 10 or so who spam every known social networking entity should not be a litmus test for the entire city. Its understandable you might see a few people from here being stupid and it might lead one to generalize all "Winnipeggers" as such. We do the same when we mention "Atlanta fans" or "Phoenix fans" - I try not to, but do sometimes for the sake of keeping my point simple

No, I don't see all "Winnipeggers" like that at all. Every fan base has 'em, including Thrash fans.

Brodie

HACK THE BONE! HACK THE BONE!
Mar 19, 2009
Chicago

I don't know... you don't find it just a tad odd that they'd be in serious negotiations to sell the team whilst they also announce the team is in dire financial straits and is desperately seeking a new owner? That was a week ago. It's so incredibly unlikely that someone is on the verge of buying all three just a week after that, don't you think?

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I don't know... you don't find it just a tad odd that they'd be in serious negotiations to sell the team whilst they also announce the team is in dire financial straits and is desperately seeking a new owner? That was a week ago. It's so incredibly unlikely that someone is on the verge of buying all three just a week after that, don't you think?

I agree. Maybe there were prior talks and when they died down due to litigation, the septo-tards (now that Belkin is out) used free PR with the media plea to announce "game-on"? :dunno:

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
I’m just throwin’ this out there, but am I the only one who thinks it is a huge coincidence that within a week of the thrashers owner publicly placing the future of the franchise in Atlanta into doubt, that they would sign their two big free agents and their GM to contract extensions?....why would they not wait until the end of the season to at least see how the recent turmoil resolves itself?.....is where they and their families are going to live for the next 5 years irrelevant to all three of them?....

If you were offered a job and told that you needed to accept by September, but the company might move to another country in june, would you not wait until at least then to make your decision or finalize the details of the contract?

Says to me that they were given a definitive future to base their decisions on…..the timing is simply way too conspicuous.

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
I can't make heads or tails of anything in the Thrasher's situation. None of it seems to make any sense on the surface.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
It's an emotional roller-coaster. Thrash fans are either going to get the best news (new ownership) or worst news (guess) ever.

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
i really dont know what to think either. i just know it is going to be crazy for the next few months or more. i THINK it ends with the team staying here, but who knows

GSC2k2*

amen to that....sometimes a sale process can go on for a year before the main stream media reports on it. ;)

Yes ... while apparently at the same time being "15 minutes away" from owning a completely different team. ;)

{just a friendly retort to what I took as a friendly jab - not making a big deal of it here}

Not sure what you're driving at, Brodie.

First of all, the Atlanta ownership group did not "announce" anything. A lot of people around these types of sites seem to misunderstand the nature of what is written in the newspaper. The vast bulk of it is not people "announcing" things. It is reporters reporting on stories that they have been chasing after or have come across, and the facts that they have uncovered after doing some journalism. That is accomplished by asking questions and reporting on the answer to said questions.

Secondly, who said anything about "serious negotiations" or being "on the verge" of anything?

Brodie

Mar 19, 2009
Chicago
Not sure what you're driving at, Brodie.

First of all, the Atlanta ownership group did not "announce" anything.

Atlanta Spirit co-owner Michael Gearon said there is now a “sense of urgency†to find additional investors or a buyer willing to keep the Thrashers in Atlanta. If the ownership group does not get additional financial help in the near future the franchise could be sold and moved to another city.

“If we are faced with that as the only alternative, that’s what’s going to happen,†Gearon told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution in an exclusive interview Tuesday. “I don’t think there is an ability to stomach another $20 million in losses. We just can’t do it.

“The reality is we need fans showing up and we need investors, or a primary investor.â€

“We need fan support. We need investors,†Gearon said. “I would love to have other members of the Atlanta community step up and take a lead role in this and I would be glad to stay in. We need support. We’ve put a lot of money into this team.â€

Gearon said he is speaking out about the future of the franchise because he does not want potential investors willing to keep the team in Atlanta to step forward after a sale has been completed.

“Long term, it’s important that a message gets out,†Gearon said. “Hopefully, I think it helps having fans show up because it demonstrates that the city is committed to the team. More importantly, I hope one, two or three other wealthy guys say ‘OK, we’ll hop on this raft with you. Even though you are in choppy waters, stage four rapids, we’ll get on this.’â€

Then going on the radio and saying the same exact thing on the same day. That sounds like an announcement to me.

Secondly, who said anything about "serious negotiations" or being "on the verge" of anything?

"Well beyond kicking the tires" seems to imply that this is pretty serious, no? Not just some calls have been made or some studies are being done.

Cosmo3015

Mar 19, 2010
Then going on the radio and saying the same exact thing on the same day. That sounds like an announcement to me.

"Well beyond kicking the tires" seems to imply that this is pretty serious, no? Not just some calls have been made or some studies are being done.

Its also possible that ASG let some of this slip as a ploy to put pressure on the local buyer if negotiations started to cool down. News getting out that the team is on the verge of leaving may bring the local buyer back to the table knowing that this is their one and only shot to buy the team and be seen as a hero in the city. Not saying this happened, but its possible.

David_99

Jan 16, 2005
Moncton, NB
Its also possible that ASG let some of this slip as a ploy to put pressure on the local buyer if negotiations started to cool down. News getting out that the team is on the verge of leaving may bring the local buyer back to the table knowing that this is their one and only shot to buy the team and be seen as a hero in the city. Not saying this happened, but its possible.

Or maybe an "out of town" buyer was asked to hold off by the NHL to see what happens with another franchise without an owner, as it could still go either way, leaving ASG, thinking they were about to dump their problem, holding the bag. They really weren't planning on losing another 20 mil next year and are now scrambling, letting some frustration slipped out after being told to run business as usual and try again to sell locally.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
While I hope it's true, I think that Kincade's optimism is a little too over the top. How can they be that far along already?

Exactly. Especially when you consider an NBA team and an arena are involved here (according to Kincade). And why would anyone want to purchase an NBA team right before a lockout?

ThrasherMinion

Just Chucky
Oct 2, 2006
wouldn't it be good to buy an NBA team during a lockout? No money comes out of pocket while everything else gets started, then add the NBA finances the next year? Any thoughts?

And now, the Hawks have just made a 3 for 2 trade and given up their first round pick to boot. ????

Thrashers have made the first long-term moves in Byfuglien, Ramsay, and the offer to Ladd that is supposed to happen, and now the Hawks are making lateral moves when they haven't made a notable trade in years?

I have no idea who we got since I don't like Bball, but we gave up our starting Point Guard, Bibby and our first pick.

Consolidating for a wholesale change in ownership or using more Thrasher money to buy more expensive hoopsters???

Last edited:

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
wouldn't it be good to buy an NBA team during a lockout? No money comes out of pocket while everything else gets started, then add the NBA finances the next year? Any thoughts?

And now, the Hawks have just made a 3 for 2 trade and given up their first round pick to boot. ????

Thrashers have made the first long-term moves in Byfuglien, Ramsay, and the offer to Ladd that is supposed to happen, and now the Hawks are making lateral moves when they haven't made a notable trade in years?

I have no idea who we got since I don't like Bball, but we gave up our starting Point Guard, Bibby and our first pick.

Consolidating for a wholesale change in ownership or using more Thrasher money to buy more expensive hoopsters???

I don't know if it would be good to buy an NBA team during a lockout. However, the Hawks and the NBA may be the way to find out who is attempting to buy the Thrashers, Hawks and the lease at Philips arena. I wonder if there has been any smoke in NBA circles over the sale of the Hawks. I would think the Atlanta writers and TV personalities who regularly cover the Hawks should be on the story pretty soon. If Kincade is correct this would be just as big of an NBA story as an NHL story. I do not follow the NBA so I don't know if basketball people are talking about the Hawks being sold. Perhaps the NBA will make a statement on the possible sale of the Hawks. If this road hasn't been travelled it may contain answers to who wants to own the Thrashers.....the same person or group who wants to own the Hawks.:)

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005

You still have to pay for staff, run the building, etc. There's a reason why ownership builds a "war chest" for times like these. It's not cheap to stage a lockout.

Put another way, the only cost you're really taking out is player salaries but you essentially lose ALL revenue. Tickets, sponsorship, etc.

GSC2k2*

I guess we have different understandings of what an "announcement" entails. For me, giving an interview and answering questions is not an announcement.

I'm still not following you. Can you be more direct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino