Thrashers Bombshell: Owners have wanted to sell since 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

davemac1313

Jan 20, 2011
Keewatin, Ontario
Can ya keep up Dado?... :laugh:

Im afraid thats rather dated mac. They sold off CTV a year ago and 7.7% of their shares in MLSE to the Ontario Teachers Pension Fund; the other 7.7% to Tanenbaum who is trying to put together a consortium with Rogers to buy out the OTPF's majority stake altogether. As your aware, NHL by-laws prohibit multi-team ownership in whole or in part. And Im surprised you dont know this already. Though the Empire has shrunk from the Pacific, BC & Alberta, all of Southern, Southwestern/Northwestern Ontario, Manitoba & Sask belongs to?.

da Leafs. :baghead::leafs

Yep...dat innernet thang is slow up here...saw that later..my bad..watchin TV and trying to read multiple agreements, surfin the web and wondering when the topic will return to hockey....

bodybreak

Whiteshell Wild
Jul 11, 2006
From what I read, Winnipeg isn't drawing over 50% attendance for the Moose. Atlanta set the record at the time for IHL attendance in 1993-94. There were over 20,000 for the Knight's Turner Cup games.

8294 in an arena where capacity is normally capped at 8800 is 94 per cent. Their average total attendance is good enough for 2nd highest average attendance in the AHL. Not too shabby considering some other larger markets / larger arenas including:

Chicago Wolves, Houston Aeros, Charlotte Checkers, Connecticut Whale, Milwaukee Admirals, Hamilton Bulldogs (similar size city, much larger arena, get about half of what the Moose do), Toronto Marlies (despite being more than 4 times the size of Winnipeg, they only draw about half of what the Moose do, in an arena not much smaller than MTS).

Dunno if I missed any... I'm not about to look up every arena capacity / city population in the AHL... here are the attendance numbers / city names: http://theahl.com/stats/schedule.php?view=attendance

The Moose hold a few AHL Playoff records including:

Highest Total Attendance, One Team, One Playoff Year - 116,095
Manitoba Moose - 2009 (11 games)

Highest Total Attendance, Game One of the Calder Cup Finals - 15,015 Manitoba Moose - 2009.

Highest Average Attendance, Two Teams, One Playoff Series - I don't have a number for that, as the page I use to reference that number is just giving me a white screen tonight.

The Moose have had 15,015 sellouts in other points of the playoffs (not just in 2009) as well as the regular season. 14,775 were there Saturday night.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
You're allowed to debate mods, and even admins, on the board if we're engaging in the hockey discussions. It's only moderating business that's not debatable on the open boards. :)

There's an outbreak of "monetize" in the BOHB [not to pick on you, you're just the latest].

I think when I made my comment it was to juxtapose the situations of the Coyotes and Thrashers. Since Phillips Arena has two anchor tenants, one perhaps can consider that one might be sufficient to carry the otherwise nonfillable (?) dates, and have other shows in for the remainder. Jobing.com doesn't have another anchor tenant, so apparently COG isn't willing to leave it to chance to fill up the entire year with tours. It also has competing venues and isn't as centrally located as Phillips. Both teams have lost $20-30m per year for several years running. One would think that the dual anchor setup would simply be preferable to all owners.

Just sounds like the current guys aren't interested.

I missed this bit.

I think we agree on the rest of your post.

fair poke on the "monetize" a term i tended to use mostly when discussing tech companies that were long on ideas and short on actual cash flow and were looking for ways to make money (monetize) and not just look pretty

sorry for the delay Fugu here is the link to my comments early:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2009/01/28/hawks_thrashers.html

"The Hawks and Thrashers have lost nearly $174 million since the 2002-2003 seasons, including more than $50 million in the last two years, according to court documents associated with an ongoing feud between the teams’ eight owners.

The group, known as the Atlanta Spirit, bought the teams and Philips Arena operating rights from Turner Broadcasting System in 2004.

The teams and the arena lost $48.9 million in the 2002-03 season; $37.3 million in 2003-04; $12.5 million in 2004-05; $24.8 million in 2005-06; $27.2 million in 2006-07; and $23.1 million in 2007-08."

the point that is scariest on this (if the court documents are accurate) is that the losses are for the teams and arena combined. not really a pretty picture and could explain why the group is not getting along

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
A few understandings of a local Thrasher fan:

1. The ownership is called "Octotards" no longer called ASG down here. However, specifically, they are Octotards minus one since buying out Belkin.

2. The group is divided into 3 small groups in 3 different cities: Boston, Washington, Atlanta. Ted Turner pretty much GAVE the team to the group led by son "Beau Turner" who lives who knows where. We've never seen him since the purchase. Another "buyer" was son-in-law, Rutherford Seydel, who does live in Atlanta and it's believed had to sell all of his rights and holds 3% now. None of them had any real money is what Atlanta fans now think.

3. One guy, Peskowitz, has been purported to actually be alive, even tho the very few times he shows up in Atlanta, he has never spoken a word to anyone or even shaken a hand. Seydel and Levinson from Washington used to come to games, but no one's seen either since the blown playoffs.

4. Gearon had to be told Andrew Ladd's name and that Ladd was the Captain last week when Gearon broke his, "Please buy our team" plea on local radio.

5. Last year, the team first hired a firm to look for potential investors. I'm sure it was more of a group of guys that went out with "potentials" and told jokes about the owners.

6. Everyone in Atlanta thinks that they have cooked books to throw all the losses on the Thrashers. They keep sending Thrasher season ticket holders free Hawks tickets to try to boost the Hawks attendance. Even tho the Hawks are better in the standings, the Thrashers outdrew them by lots until the year after the playoffs when it was obvious that the owners had totally bailed.

7. The Arena has fallen into disrepair, the restrooms are not even totally functional. Chairs and stairs are damaged, the place looks like a dark, dank, cesspool. It's amazing that Phillips is listed as a top money making facility worldwide. How can hockey be the "only loser?" Something is fishy there.

8. There is NO local marketing as they even let the marketing director from the first 2 years of the franchise leave because they wouldn't give him a budget.

9. The owners have never invested in minor league programs which is why our draft picks have been rushed into the NHL too soon. Valabik and Cormier were both healthy scratches consistently in Chicago. We had to reassigned players to the ECHL just so they could get playing time.

10. Living through the whole Heatley/Dan Snyder thing, letting Savard leave for $4 mil. a year without as much as a counter offer, Hossa and Kovalchuk rushing to get out....

Hossa was invited to a Hawks game with Gearon the year he left and actually said that it was "nice to finally meet someone who makes decisions" as in, "where the hell have you idiots been?"

Kovalchuk's first comments in Jersey were to the effect that it was "nice to be in a place that takes hockey seriously,"

Atlanta fans should be praised for the crap we've put up with. We didn't deserve to be treated so poorly.

We have the largest fanclub in the NHL as of this moment.
We don't deserve the "thrashing" (sorry for the irony) that we get from people about attendance.

From what I read, Winnipeg isn't drawing over 50% attendance for the Moose. Atlanta set the record at the time for IHL attendance in 1993-94.
There were over 20,000 for the Knight's Turner Cup games.

The All-Star Game, playoff games were sellouts plus standing room.

With proper ownership, or even marginal ownership, this will work. With garbage, what would you expect. Our idiot ownership is right now suing their VERY OWN LAWYERS

Ok ThrasherMinion the Octotards had me laughing out loud literally......the rest of the post proved to be painful to read even for a Winnipeg guy....it is tough to be on the short end of the stick when it comes to owners....Atlanta ended up with the gang that couldn't shoot strait, a group that doesn't appear to have one principle with any visible interest in hockey from what i read. its know wonder Bettman doesn't bother to spin his dissatisfaction with the current ownership situation

perhaps a White Knight will appear

Last edited:

Telfo

THRASHERS(and Golden Knights too)
Oct 31, 2008
Atlanta, GA
fair poke on the "monetize" a term i tended to use mostly when discussing tech companies that were long on ideas and short on actual cash flow and were looking for ways to make money (monetize) and not just look pretty

sorry for the delay Fugu here is the link to my comments early:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2009/01/28/hawks_thrashers.html

"The Hawks and Thrashers have lost nearly $174 million since the 2002-2003 seasons, including more than $50 million in the last two years, according to court documents associated with an ongoing feud between the teams’ eight owners.

The group, known as the Atlanta Spirit, bought the teams and Philips Arena operating rights from Turner Broadcasting System in 2004.

The teams and the arena lost $48.9 million in the 2002-03 season; $37.3 million in 2003-04; $12.5 million in 2004-05; $24.8 million in 2005-06; $27.2 million in 2006-07; and $23.1 million in 2007-08."

the point that is scariest on this (if the court documents are accurate) is that the losses are for the teams and arena combined. not really a pretty picture and could explain why the group is not getting along

Atlanta Spirit literally sucks at everything. the arena has gotten worse and worse and they havent maintained a lot of things about it.

food has gotten worse, constantly broken stuff at concession areas. i could go on and on but you get the point.

people in this city hate them with a passion and i expect things to improve instantly when they are gone

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Don't believe everything you read in the papers regarding negotiations and who allegedly "walked", or what that would mean even if marginally accurate. Billionaires will certainly argue over $5M in a $170M deal.

Are you suggesting that we take a 50% discount for every married NHL owner? That is an unusual position to take.

Peak6 investments has two co-founders and one of them happens to be Hulsizer's wife. This is a Thrashers thread so if for any reason if it doesn't work out for Hulsizer in Phoenix maybe he could take his billion dollars to Atlanta and own the Thrashers.:sarcasm:

http://www.peak6.com/leaders/jennifer-just/

GSC2k2*

Yah, I have Google too. Where exactly did you find something -- anything -- that has these guys in the billionaire category?

I mean, we're seriously OT here, but you can't just put this stuff up and leave.

I mean, look at this :

78 Harley Hotchkiss
Calgary Flames
Net Worth: $30 Million

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1138367/9/index.htm
From 1993??

Whatever you like. Shall I withdraw in shame then? My hair shirt is at the cleaners.

BTW, Murray Edwards' billionaire status can be confirmed ... on Forbes' list of billionaires.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Okay back to the thread guys

Are we willing to piss away a top 10 media market for Winnipeg?

I say no

Winnipeg should get the coyotes, or wait for them I should say. Phoenix is not a sports market and the Cards will split once their deal is up.

Last edited:

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
My guess is that the new ownership group "kicking tires" is actually TNSE.

When Reinsdorf and Ice Edge walked away from the Coyotes, local journalists reported that the city was still in talks with two potential ownership groups, one of which was eventually revealed to be TNSE.

As far as I can tell, most of the reports out of Atlanta indicate that if a new owner cannot be found, that they will relocate to "Winnipeg", but they never mention TNSE by name. Perhaps they're now finding out about TNSE's interest, but are unaware of who they represent (Winnipeg).

Its true, you never know, and it might actually turn out to be TNSE like the second mystery group last year was revealed to be TNSE for the Yotes (as confirmed by Bettman)

And this is coming from just one guy, unlike pretty much every other media member (I would even suggest more reputable hockey sources) who is otherwise suggesting once Phoenix is out of the way for the NHL, Thrashers will likely be heading to that Canadian city that seems to bring a lot of disdain from people down south because a few idiots went on a trolling spree

And this guy is so certain this mystery ownership group is willing to keep the team in ATL...

JohnKincade John Kincade

@BelowWing Keep waiting buddy, but you can catch the games on 680thefan.com or Fox Sports. Enjoy the Blue Bombers and that fake football

Sounds like a bit of a D-Bag to me though.

Its been suggested "mystery buyer" might have to buy everything (teams + arena), not just the Thrashers, which could net quite a hefty sum...

Plus apparently, if the Thrashers boards are any indication, this guy's reputation isn't getting all Thrashers fans hopes up any higher

http://fans.thrashers.nhl.com/community/topic/16841-kinkade-tweet/

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Its true, you never know, and it might actually turn out to be TNSE like the second mystery group last year was revealed to be TNSE for the Yotes (as confirmed by Bettman)

And this is coming from just one guy, unlike pretty much every other media member (I would even suggest more reputable hockey sources) who is otherwise suggesting once Phoenix is out of the way for the NHL, Thrashers will likely be heading to that Canadian city that seems to bring a lot of disdain from people down south because a few idiots went on a trolling spree

And this guy is so certain this mystery ownership group is willing to keep the team in ATL...

Its been suggested "mystery buyer" might have to buy everything (teams + arena), not just the Thrashers, which could net quite a hefty sum...

Plus apparently, if the Thrashers boards are any indication, this guy's reputation isn't getting all Thrashers fans hopes up any higher

Hey rocc I'm a fan of yours and all, but the Bombers do suck.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010

I say no

does your 'we' include someone willing to choke up $170m for the thrashers and then $20m+ more every year after?.....because that is really the only 'we' that gets to vote on that question.

i do agree that atlanta is exponentially a better hockey market than phoenix ever will be but without someone willing to pay for the losses what options are there?....so far there isn't anyone willing to own the team in atlanta and there is a government willing to pay for an owner in phoenix, so it appears for now atlanta has drawn the short straw.

Jeffrey93

Nov 7, 2007
Okay back to the thread guys

I say no

Winnipeg should get the coyotes, or wait for them I should say. Phoenix is not a sports market and the Cards will split once their deal is up.

So....Atlanta is saved as a 'media market' (9th), but Phoenix is abandoned as a 'sports market'? Phoenix is 13th as far as media markets go by the way.

The less than 500,000 TV households difference between the two markets shouldn't have a big impact on anything....especially when TV ratings in both of these markets stinks.....like stinks wicked bad.

Any big US TV deal the NHL is able to get isn't going to be because they are in either of those markets....because neither of those markets will be of any benefit to a broadcaster showing NHL games.

Pegger5

Jan 9, 2007
Some of you say Atlanta is a top media market, a top TV market. You are absolutely wrong when NHL is concerned as a market. Atlanta is in the botton 3. When NBC or ESPN signs their new agreement with NHL, Atlanta will be dismissed because of the very low numbers Atlantans' produce for television when watching NHL.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Some of you say Atlanta is a top media market, a top TV market. You are absolutely wrong when NHL is concerned as a market. Atlanta is in the botton 3. When NBC or ESPN signs their new agreement with NHL, Atlanta will be dismissed because of the very low numbers Atlantans' produce for television when watching NHL.

TV numbers of 9000 per game are considered non-existent for all intents and purposes in a market as large as Atlanta. If the number were 9000 for Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan they would be good numbers but not a city with a metro area of 5.9 million people. I wonder who the "white knight" is that Kincade speaks about. If it is a real possibility expect comment from the NHL very soon.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
So....Atlanta is saved as a 'media market' (9th), but Phoenix is abandoned as a 'sports market'? Phoenix is 13th as far as media markets go by the way.

The less than 500,000 TV households difference between the two markets shouldn't have a big impact on anything....especially when TV ratings in both of these markets stinks.....like stinks wicked bad.

Any big US TV deal the NHL is able to get isn't going to be because they are in either of those markets....because neither of those markets will be of any benefit to a broadcaster showing NHL games.
Yes. Pho is 13. It can be replace by Portland or Las Vegas. Atlanta is important because of large corporate presence, something PHO lacks.

AllByDesign

Who's this ABD guy??
Mar 17, 2010
Location, Location!

There is a difference between saying an under-performing team sucks, and generalizing that Canadian Football is "fake".

With all the debate on market size, TV presence, and tv numbers... it's all moot. Yes the NHL would like a team in Atlanta. They wouldn't have granted the market a location if they didn't want a team there. The problem is finding an owner willing to operate a team in this market today. I bold "today" because the current owners don't want to be involved for another moment. At least that is what the press release implies. Without a willing partner to own in this market, it matters not how much the market makes sense to the league.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
There is a difference between saying an under-performing team sucks, and generalizing that Canadian Football is "fake".

With all the debate on market size, TV presence, and tv numbers... it's all moot. Yes the NHL would like a team in Atlanta. They wouldn't have granted the market a location if they didn't want a team there. The problem is finding an owner willing to operate a team in this market today. I bold "today" because the current owners don't want to be involved for another moment. At least that is what the press release implies. Without a willing partner to own in this market, it matters not how much the market makes sense to the league.

Not a fan of the CFL so I can't really comment on that, but thats why I hope you get PHX instead. I mean to lose the 9th largest TV market would be awful. PHX has had longer, 15+ years and these problems have been going on for 5(?) years now? PHX can be replaced IMO and if not we can go to Vegas or Portland.

KevFist

is best pony
Oct 22, 2006
Birmingham, AL
www.mk837.com

Actually, us Atlanta fans hold Kinkade in pretty high regard when it comes to info about the team. He's worked with the team in some capacity pretty much since day one, so he's well connected inside the organization. He's also a straight shooter who hasn't hesitated to hold the Octoturd's feet to the fire when it comes to what's going on.

On the other hand, Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Thrashers beat writer Chris Vivlamore, while a good writer, isn't as connected inside the organization.

Kinkade's the one you really want to listen to here.

As for the dude who said it was TNSE kicking the tires in Atlanta..... Why would TNSE buy Philips Arena and the Hawks? The reports during this whole fiasco is the buyer is interested in the whole shooting match..... Not just the Thrashers.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
While I hope it's true, I think that Kincade's optimism is a little too over the top. How can they be that far along already?

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As for the dude who said it was TNSE kicking the tires in Atlanta..... Why would TNSE buy Philips Arena and the Hawks? The reports during this whole fiasco is the buyer is interested in the whole shooting match..... Not just the Thrashers.

I don't see why not. Stranger things have happened. Lets look at the pieces.

A=Arena
H=Hawks
T-Thrashers

If A is making money, and A+H is making money, but T is losing money, why not? Someone could come in and buy A, H, and T, but still move T out of town. For the owner, they buy all 3 parts, but just don't keep them together. Maybe they see A+H as a great opportunity to make money in Atlanta, but just not if they include T.

Killroy*

While I hope it's true, I think that Kincade's optimism is a little too over the top. How can they be that far along already?

[wishful thinking]Well, they did announce they were looking for investors last summer. So it's possible someone surfaced back then, and they're just now able to start seriously talking.[/wishful thinking]

I just hope it's all true and Kincade isn't teasing us. Also, speaking of Kincade...looks like the Winnepegers are all over his Twitter page now. Pretty funny seeing the back and forth.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I just hope it's all true and Kincade isn't teasing us. Also, speaking of Kincade...looks like the Winnepegers are all over his Twitter page now. Pretty funny seeing the back and forth.

Yeah...great tweet calling Kincade a ****stick and told him to go to hell. All for wanting the Thrashers to stay and his speculation. Classy.

Edit: That wasn't a shot at you, Killroy. Kinda came across as one.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia

lol no arguing there, they do....well...they got some work to do, but this is an OT thing to get in to. Their record is somewhat misleading, we'll leave it at that. But he referenced the entire CFL, as "Fake Football" ... I think the rest of the world other than Canada and America would like to have a word with him on what "Real" football is :naughty:

But not the kid who he was responding to? "I can't wait to see Evander Kane in Winnipeg colors". Give me a break.

That's fair, no debating that, just as long as you don't paint every Winnipegger like that - there are tens of thousands of hockey fans in the city, so the 10 or so who spam every known social networking entity should not be a litmus test for the entire city. Its understandable you might see a few people from here being stupid and it might lead one to generalize all "Winnipeggers" as such. We do the same when we mention "Atlanta fans" or "Phoenix fans" - I try not to, but do sometimes for the sake of keeping my point simple

TV numbers of 9000 per game are considered non-existent for all intents and purposes in a market as large as Atlanta. If the number were 9000 for Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan they would be good numbers but not a city with a metro area of 5.9 million people. I wonder who the "white knight" is that Kincade speaks about. If it is a real possibility expect comment from the NHL very soon.

This is often overlooked, but very true. I wonder what TV ratings were like before the ownership fiasco? I do believe ATL was never given the proper chance to really take off, and ownership plays a big role. But I also believe it might be too late down the road to fix that now.

Exactly ^^^

Not a fan of the CFL so I can't really comment on that, but thats why I hope you get PHX instead. I mean to lose the 9th largest TV market would be awful. PHX has had longer, 15+ years and these problems have been going on for 5(?) years now? PHX can be replaced IMO and if not we can go to Vegas or Portland.

You never know what's going to happen, but I doubt Vegas will be a desirable solution ;)

Actually, us Atlanta fans hold Kinkade in pretty high regard when it comes to info about the team. He's worked with the team in some capacity pretty much since day one, so he's well connected inside the organization. He's also a straight shooter who hasn't hesitated to hold the Octoturd's feet to the fire when it comes to what's going on.

On the other hand, Atlanta Journal-Constitution's Thrashers beat writer Chris Vivlamore, while a good writer, isn't as connected inside the organization.

Kinkade's the one you really want to listen to here.

Octoturd ... :laugh: .... thats too good.

Very true, TNSE would likely not be interested in buying the whole thing, especially if "Octoturd" :)laugh: cant get over this...sounds like a rejected Spiderman villain) the current group still wants to run the arena and keep the Hawks, which they seem content with keeping.

Still one must wonder why it was reportedly revealed the owners have "quietly" renegotiated their Phillip Naming Rights agreement. I think this is one of those red flag signs that only in a year we'll look back at as either an indicator or historical accuracy, or completely irrelevant.

I do not doubt the unexpected - this guy appearing out of nowhere is possible. Look at MH in Phoenix. There are many unknown businessmen, and tons of young guys, bet Atlanta alone is chalk full of em and in addition, you dont have to be FROM Atl to own the team either. Very plausible.

But if ASG wanted to keep the Hawks + Arena...then what? Would this potential owner want to have a go with some sort of lease agreement? He would have to be prepared for losses for at least a few seasons while he, provided he is a more caring and a better owner than ASG was, turns the organization around. Simply making it a "winning" team is tough too, especially if he is new to the biz, or even if he loves the sport...the business side of things doesn't always go according to plan. Signing X does not equal Stanley Cup. Even if you want to shoot for playoffs every year...there are bound to be stretches where it doesn't happen.

I think while I agree with the concept of "winning" to a degree, and how it is much more important for "non traditional" markets, I also do not think it is the single solution - it does create buzz, but if one is betting on winning as the one or singular thing that will turn around a market or situation, then its more of a gamble, and one with high faith imo.

If the guy is reputable, then he probably wouldn't dedicate all this energy just to make something up.

Its likely he knowns something but has to keep it under wraps to the extent he cannot reveal a name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad