Thoughts on the Rebuild? PART 3

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I was talking to some Ottawa media guys and ex-Sens. All 4 think DJ gets fired at some point during the season.
They know about as much as us, so not much.
So they must think the Sens will struggle this year , that’s how I interpret that.
Cause if they are in playoff hunt, he’s not go anywhere.

Reactions: DrEasy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
So they must think the Sens will struggle this year , that’s how I interpret that.
Yes the general consensus is that the D will struggle and they should have added a D rather than Debrincat. It’s all pure speculation, as you said. Just found it interesting. .

Jan 19, 2006
Calgary
DJ is basically Charlie Montoyo. A good guy for vibes during a rebuild, but a guy that just isn't a good enough coach for a team looking to transition into a real contender. Just like Charlie, he's destined to be gone eventually.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
DJ is basically Charlie Montoyo. A good guy for vibes during a rebuild, but a guy that just isn't a good enough coach for a team looking to transition into a real contender. Just like Charlie, he's destined to be gone eventually.
we'll find out.
Every coach in NHL is destined to be gone eventually, lol.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This year is a big year for the team...and its up to them to deliver a winning season...fans also need to have reasonable expectations as this is still one of the youngest teams in the league; slowly maturing tho. Can't blame Melnyk anymore, cant blame the GM as he pretty much did almost everything that needed to be done. I feel like people are finally getting excited about the team as well; something that has been lacking for the past few years. But yeah, this year the responsibility falls on the players. Should be a fun year. The goal should be to make the playoffs and if that happens than the main focus should be to just gain valuable experience going forward. The teams are so balanced now especially in the playoffs literally any team could get on a roll and go all the way just like any very good team can catch one or two bad breaks and be bounced.
I cannot let the GM off for his bad trades in the past. His work this summer has redeemed him somewhat for now. The future will determine his fate. I hope it has a good outcome.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Yes the general consensus is that the D will struggle and they should have added a D rather than Debrincat. It’s all pure speculation, as you said. Just found it interesting. .
The worst case scenario is that we're a bit better than last year on D. HOpefully we're a lot better.

I also think that DJ should be able to leverage the world championships as a learning experience and implement some system changes

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The worst case scenario is that we're a bit better than last year on D. HOpefully we're a lot better.

I also think that DJ should be able to leverage the world championships as a learning experience and implement some system changes
I hope so.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Well I can tell you that I bought one of those $600 kitty packages which is 600 more than I've spent in the last 5 years, so business must be booming.

I think I've turned down free tickets in the last 5 years actually.
Same here! Never committed that kinda money up front on this team, always have just gotten single game tickets

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I was talking to some Ottawa media guys and ex-Sens. All 4 think DJ gets fired at some point during the season.
not surprising I think most fans probably feel this way with how DJ has deployed certain players previously.

h2

Mar 26, 2002
Yeah, I don't think DJ is actually a good coach. His player deployment and strategy is puzzling sometimes. Too much confidence in awful veterans over obvious better rookies in previous seasons.

Reactions: xVolchenkov

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
The Sens remind me of the Jays, a good young team with a number of very good players filling in a number of positions including role positions. Now they will need to learn how to win those tough close games & play consistently in every period & every game. I expect they will get better every yr for the next few yrs as more good young players get promoted & the older guys age out.
Very similar, I've thought that many time.

Reactions: Cosmix and aragorn

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
not surprising I think most fans probably feel this way with how DJ has deployed certain players previously.
I think as evidenced over the past two months that you have fairly extreme negative views about the team. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your views lump you in with "most" fans

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Maybe - but that’s not a reason to fire the coach. Most fans don’t have a clue about coaching, let alone professional talent evaluation or coaching in the nhl so their opinions are limited to what they know about novice Kanata house league and video game deployment.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
I think the there would only he 2 reasons to fire DJ, and they both need to be present:

1. Terrible start to season.
2. Dorion wants Troy Mann has head coach ASAP.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
The idea that if we dont get off to a good start then we should fire the coach seems a little bit pouty to me. We started the last couple of seasons expecting to be tanking for a top pick while simultaneously being upset we didnt get top ufa's signed to long contracts and didnt fire the coach after a slow start.

This year we have so many new pieces coming into the team. What i would be looking for is steady growth over the year as they start to find their game and develop confidence, chemistry and roles. Expecting a hot out of the gates start and wanting drastic changes if its not achieved just because we won the offseason on paper doesnt seem a well timed strategy to me.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Whether he gets fired or not there is a ton of pressure on the entire team to come out of the gate hot.

Too much talent to be OK with a slow start and media will make it miserable to keep answering the same old, "what's wrong? Why is there no chemistry? Etc..."

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The idea that if we dont get off to a good start then we should fire the coach seems a little bit pouty to me. We started the last couple of seasons expecting to be tanking for a top pick while simultaneously being upset we didnt get top ufa's signed to long contracts and didnt fire the coach after a slow start.

This year we have so many new pieces coming into the team. What i would be looking for is steady growth over the year as they start to find their game and develop confidence, chemistry and roles. Expecting a hot out of the gates start and wanting drastic changes if its not achieved just because we won the offseason on paper doesnt seem a well timed strategy to me.
Surely, there would be some nuance to the decision. I think it's more if they come out as flat as they have the last couple years. If they're treading water or there's enough positive signs to point to then he probably stays, but if they come out as poorly as they did last year, I doubt he gets the rest of the season to figure it out.

Reactions: OD99

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

doesnt have to be a hot start. At this point anyone here would take an average start. We don't need countless defensive breakdowns where guys are walking in picking corners on our net.

An average start would be well welcomed here....

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
The difference in cash flow late in the season will be enormous if this team is competing for a playoff spot vs. totally out of it.

DJ will be on a very tight leash. This team needs to be competitive.

Reactions: HSF

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad